Programming note: Jim Kelly on Sirius NFL Radio

Lori

http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/Countdown_to_Canton.jsp

Pro Football Hall of Fame Presents Countdown to Canton on Sirius NFL Radio. Listen each Friday morning from now through Enshrinement Day on August 8. Hosts Bob Papa and Randy Cross welcome a different Hall of Fame legend each Friday at 10 Eastern to talk some football. Don’t miss as these football greats share stories from their careers, to what it was like on their induction day, and a personal perspective on the Hall’s newest class – Bob Hayes, Randall McDaniel, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, Ralph Wilson, Jr. and Rod Woodson.
Do you have a question for Jim Kelly?

Each week, we invite fans to email us questions for the upcoming guest on Pro Football Hall of Fame Presents Countdown to Canton. Then, Randy will pick one of the questions and it will be used on-air during the show.

So, if you have a question for Jim Kelly this Friday, go ahead and email us at:

SiriusNFL@profootballhof.com - or - theopeningdrive@sirius-radio.com

(Please be sure to include your name with city and state)

There's also a poll on the HOF's home page asking who should be the next Bills enshrinee: Hull, Reed, Sestak, Smerlas, or Tasker.

A few short paraphrases:

Being enshrined: I never imagined I'd be here. I dreamed about playing pro football, but the HOF wasn't even in my vocabulary.

Young QBs struggling in OTAs: Learning the playbook all over again, reading NFL defenses -- he's got so many things to think about. College playbooks don't compare to the NFL. Just have to get in there, get as many reps as you can, start learning your WRs, and take your playbook everywhere you go. You do need a couple days off from time to time, though, to refresh the brain. Sanchez (and the other young guys) will be all right.

He said things started clicking for him about halfway through his first season. He came in late, only had about a week to prepare for the season opener against the Jets. Predetermined where a lot of his throws were going to go. He prepared hard, though -- was one of the first guys to buy his own projector, had his own film room. Lucky to keep the same coach throughout his career, so he didn't have to learn an entirely new offense.

The Super Bills: How many teams that went to the SB and lost even went to the playoffs the next year? If it wasn't for a dropped pass against the Browns, we might have gone to six AFC Championship games in a row. Fans recognize that, but even other players have told me, "Jim, you never have anything to lower your head about."

Trading the HOF for a SB win: You really can't compare them both, because if you go to a bunch of Super Bowls, that kind of comes along with it. So there's really no way to compare the two.

Asked about T.O.: When it starts getting really cold? (Laughs.) Is he a distraction in the locker room? I hope he is. We haven't had anything in the locker room. When you walk into the locker room on Monday and you can't tell whether the team won or lost, something's got to change.

He's only got a one-year contract, and you know what, so do the coaches. Mr. Wilson's not settling for anything short of making the playoffs this year. The pressure's on. Time to show up, or pack your bags because there's going to be a lot of changes.

Interesting to hear him essentially call out last year's team with the "you couldn't tell whether they won or lost" statement. There's something to be said for staying on an even keel, but at some point, you have to get pissed off enough about losing to want to do something about it, no?

Interesting to hear him essentially call out last year's team with the "you couldn't tell whether they won or lost" statement. There's something to be said for staying on an even keel, but at some point, you have to get pissed off enough about losing to want to do something about it, no?

I'm surprised he's up so early after last night's award ceremony at Shea's theater. He mistaked my friend for Doug Flutie.

I'm surprised he's up so early after last night's award ceremony at Shea's theater. He mistaked my friend for Doug Flutie.

Knowing him, who's to say he went to bed at all? He did sound reasonably lucid, though.

A few short paraphrases:

Asked about T.O.: When it starts getting really cold? (Laughs.) Is he a distraction in the locker room? I hope he is. We haven't had anything in the locker room. When you walk into the locker room on Monday and you can't tell whether the team won or lost, something's got to change.

He's only got a one-year contract, and you know what, so do the coaches. Mr. Wilson's not settling for anything short of making the playoffs this year. The pressure's on. Time to show up, or pack your bags because there's going to be a lot of changes.

This is pretty much how I've seen it and it's refreshing to think maybe I'm not a complete idiot. But, for me, the most frustrating aspect of our team in recent years has been the complete lack of emotion before, during, and after games. Yes, I agree, you need to keep an even keel. But, you also have to get a little upset about losing.

IMO, our coaching staff has fostered and environment that makes it OK to lose as long as you give it all you got. That may sound nice when you're a kid, but these are grown men begin paid big $, losing is not ok under any circumstance. The best thing about TO is that I don't think he'll accept a mediocre performance, let alone a losing one. And, that for me, is a good thing.

It's also refreshing to hear someone (who presumably knows more about Ralph's mindset than me) state that there will be major changes if the playoffs are not made after this season. Maybe that'll be the motivation Jauron needs to wake up. And if not, well what's one more losing season after so many in a row.

Actually, no.

No one on this team seemed to be very bothered by anything going on last year---least of all Dick Jauron. This team has no passion whatsoever. it has no leader--Whitner is not a leader.

At least Jim was astute enough to point that out. But he loses some credibility when he starts buttering Ralph's balls with "Mr. Wilson's not settling for anything short of making the playoffs this year."

Really Jim? Then why did he give the guy a 3 year contract? If the Bills go 9-7 and don't make the playoffs, there is NO WAY Ralph is going to be paying two HC salaries for 2 years. He'll declare the year a great success and will welcome DJ back, as will at least 50% of this board.

Actually, no.

No one on this team seemed to be very bothered by anything going on last year---least of all Dick Jauron. This team has no passion whatsoever. it has no leader--Whitner is not a leader.

At least Jim was astute enough to point that out. But he loses some credibility when he starts buttering Ralph's balls with "Mr. Wilson's not settling for anything short of making the playoffs this year."

Really Jim? Then why did he give the guy a 3 year contract? If the Bills go 9-7 and don't make the playoffs, there is NO WAY Ralph is going to be paying two HC salaries for 2 years. He'll declare the year a great success and will welcome DJ back, as will at least 50% of this board.

I don't see how Kelly loses any credibility. Jauron was extended at a time when the bills were 4-0 and on their way to 5-1. That's a pretty darn good start. Hell, it was even good enough to get some of the most pessimistic fans thinking things were turning around. The problem was not putting in an "out" clause if the season fell apart; or just eating the contract after it did. But, you have to recall at the time Jauron was extended, the Bills were the talk of the league, Edwards was on his way to a Pro Bowl, and Jauron was COY material. Which makes the horrendous decline over the 2nd half of the season even more mind boggling.

IMO, our coaching staff has fostered and environment that makes it OK to lose as long as you give it all you got. That may sound nice when you're a kid, but these are grown men begin paid big $, losing is not ok under any circumstance. The best thing about TO is that I don't think he'll accept a mediocre performance, let alone a losing one. And, that for me, is a good thing.

That's exactly why I don't like Jauron, he almost doesn't seem to mind losing. It almost looks like he thinks winning is great but losing is no big deal.

That's exactly why I don't like Jauron, he almost doesn't seem to mind losing. It almost looks like he thinks winning is great but losing is no big deal.

"Well, we wish we were undefeated, but we're not, so ..."

I don't see how Kelly loses any credibility. Jauron was extended at a time when the bills were 4-0 and on their way to 5-1. That's a pretty darn good start. Hell, it was even good enough to get some of the most pessimistic fans thinking things were turning around. The problem was not putting in an "out" clause if the season fell apart; or just eating the contract after it did. But, you have to recall at the time Jauron was extended, the Bills were the talk of the league, Edwards was on his way to a Pro Bowl, and Jauron was COY material. Which makes the horrendous decline over the 2nd half of the season even more mind boggling.

I just explained this.

Jim knows that if the Bills finish 9-7, especially if they start off slow, and don't make the playoffs, then Ralph will keep DJ so he doesn't haveto eat the remainder of the contract.

Jim's just pretending that Ralph is some sort of hardass owner who demands wins because Kelly is still fantasizing that he and his secret "group" of others will be negotiating with Ralph or his survivors to buy the team some day.

Come on Jim! Ralph doesn't pay you to say crap like that anymore.

"Well, we wish we were undefeated, but we're not, so ..."

Not the most inspiring HC, is he...

“We need to play as well as we can play, perform as hard as we can perform and see what we can get out of it.”

“This was a long day. It started from the opening kickoff. All the things we didn't want to have happen -- they happened out there.”

“We are just trying to see if we can jump start and get a win somehow.”

“We gave them a game, gave them a little scare, but it wasn't enough.”

“I thought our guys really fought hard. We just made the mistakes that have kind of set us back all year in critical areas.”

And my favourite...

"It's hard to win in the NFL."

link

I wonder if it's true that a team takes on the personality of the HC? We've never discussed that around here, wonder whether there's anything to that.

I wonder if it's true that a team takes on the personality of the HC? We've never discussed that around here, wonder whether there's anything to that.

I'm sure of it. This might be the first team to take the personality of it's prima donna WR, there's such a vacuum of leadership.

Yes it is.

Between Thurman last year (IIRC) and now Kelly, how can any rational person believe the big problem with this team is just a "lack" of talent?

Those guys clearly pointed out the problem in a tactful way: the problem is coaching, specifically, the HC.

The HC dictates the philosophy and system of how everything works on a team.

Even good players can become complacent when it becomes evident nobody is held accountable for individual mediocre effort.