Airman Spots Jetliner’s Fuel Leak At 35,000 Feet

MattyT

He waited an hour to tell someone?

Well, at 6,000 lbs. an hour.. they are only losing 100 lbs. a minute.. probably takes a significant amount of time to notice a drastic difference in fuel consumption (although, I haven't the foggiest idea how much fuel one of these bad boys consumes).

Still, I see your point.. Maybe the guy, having experience with large jet planes, had a decent idea of the aircrafts fuel consumption, and might explain why he waited until the flight was going to go oceanic. Who knows.

How could the pilots not know they were using 6,000 pounds of fuel an hour more than they were supposed to be? :wacko:

6000 pounds of jet fuel is about 1000 gallons. A 777 carries between 35000 and 50000 (depending on the model) gallons; a 747, 30k-60k gallons. So the difference they were looking at was about 2-3% of their total fuel capacity per hour.

Of course, on a per-hour basis, that's maybe a 30% discrepancy in usage. And according to the article, they did notice it, they just didn't know why it was happening.

6000 pounds of jet fuel is about 1000 gallons. A 777 carries between 35000 and 50000 (depending on the model) gallons; a 747, 30k-60k gallons. So the difference they were looking at was about 2-3% of their total fuel capacity per hour.

Of course, on a per-hour basis, that's maybe a 30% discrepancy in usage. And according to the article, they did notice it, they just didn't know why it was happening.

I didn't read the article that was linked until just know. It didn't mention that they were aware of the discrepancy in the first article.