Most Haunting Song

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, it's Johnny Cash's best song. There are plenty to choose from, but the man knew he was dying when he recorded this. The subtitle of his last album was "The Man Comes Around".

The most powerful lyric is "And you can have it all...my empire of dirt". Often, it takes an end to realize what's really important in life, and I think Johnny Cash knew that.

IMO, it's Johnny Cash's best song. There are plenty to choose from, but the man knew he was dying when he recorded this. The subtitle of his last album was "The Man Comes Around".

The most powerful lyric is "And you can have it all...my empire of dirt". Often, it takes an end to realize what's really important in life, and I think Johnny Cash knew that.

I don't think you can beat Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". But I have two that might be ranked #2 and #3:

1. Jeff Buckley covering Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen which I heard for the first time less than a year before he drowned

2. For Squirrels - Mighty KC which was released a couple months after the lead singer and bassist died in a car accident

I'm sure someone can nominate something by Elliott Smith

I remember singing this for years in grade school - every grade sang - it was a near-daily thing:

Others, too...Billy Boy, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Camptown Races, Santa Lucia, Follow the Drinking Gourd, My Wild Irish Rose, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Edelweiss, Funiculi Funicula, and tons of others. Our teachers must have had quiet giggles at us squeaky rabble. :lol:

Do children still sing in school? I just don't know, but I hope that they do.

Warren Zevon's "Keep Me In Your Heart"

Zevon previously stated that his illness was expected to be terminal within months after the diagnosis in the fall of 2002; however, he lived to see the birth of twin grandsons in June 2003 and the release of The Wind on August 26, 2003. Owing in part to the first VH1 broadcasts of Nick Read's documentary Warren Zevon: Keep Me In Your Heart, the album entered the national record charts at number 16, Zevon's highest placement since Excitable Boy. When his diagnosis became public, Zevon told the media that he just hoped to live long enough to see the next James Bond movie, a goal he accomplished; coincidentally, the film was entitled Die Another Day.

Warren Zevon died on September 7, 2003, aged 56, at his home in Los Angeles, California. The Wind was certified gold by the RIAA in December 2003 and Zevon received five posthumous Grammy nominations, including Song Of The Year for the ballad "Keep Me In Your Heart". The Wind won two Grammys, with the album itself receiving the award for Best Contemporary Folk Album, while "Disorder in the House", Zevon's duet with Bruce Springsteen, was awarded Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal. These posthumous awards were the first Grammys of Zevon's more than 30-year career.

I remember singing this for years in grade school - every grade sang - it was a near-daily thing:

Others, too...Billy Boy, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Camptown Races, Santa Lucia, Follow the Drinking Gourd, My Wild Irish Rose, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, Edelweiss, Funiculi Funicula, and tons of others. Our teachers must have had quiet giggles at us squeaky rabble. :lol:

Do children still sing in school? I just don't know, but I hope that they do.

We always used to sing a patriotic song in elementary school. This was 10 years ago, but I think they still do it where I went to school.

We always used to sing a patriotic song in elementary school. This was 10 years ago, but I think they still do it where I went to school.

Thanks - as a kid, of course, I thought such to be silly. But as the years rolled on, I saw why, and it is a very fond memory. I hope you feel the same.

Thanks - as a kid, of course, I thought such to be silly. But as the years rolled on, I saw why, and it is a very fond memory. I hope you feel the same.

Yeah it is a fond memory, even if it's a little bit cheesy.

As for songs, I always thought this was a bit haunting for whatever reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUSu_P1LpiQ

Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground always gave me the chills with the song Heroin. I'm not sure if it fits the haunting category but it certainly does something. I think The Doors also give the chills with The End. The Jefferson Airplane also get it done with White Rabbit.

I'm 29 years old and haven't done drugs in 8 years but I can't get enough of these trippy classics.

We've had several of these in recent weeks, and I thought I'd bring a new one to the table.

My pick...it was within a year of the end of this legend's life. And it was first recorded by an industrial rock band.

Every time I hear it, I get tears in my eyes.

Yeah... I knew the original well. I had liked the remake, but it did not really hit me hard until I saw the video for the first time right after getting the news of Cash's death.

Yeah... I knew the original well. I had liked the remake, but it did not really hit me hard until I saw the video for the first time right after getting the news of Cash's death.

The Cash/Dylan duet, Girl From The North Country from their Nashville Skyline album is a good one.

Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground always gave me the chills with the song Heroin. I'm not sure if it fits the haunting category but it certainly does something. I think The Doors also give the chills with The End. The Jefferson Airplane also get it done with White Rabbit.

I'm 29 years old and haven't done drugs in 8 years but I can't get enough of these trippy classics.

I think that is a Cash masterpiece as well. Not sure if you have checked out the Johnny Cash "American Recordings" box set...it is amazing. It is 5 discs. One disc is a "best of" from the 4 American recordings releases, another is all country-gospel tunes, and the other three are previously unreleased recordings from those sessions. The price is a little steep, but well worth it. It is definitely one of my "desert island discs".