House Question

Chef Jim

The Two and a Half Men thread got me thinking about the state of TV today. I saw the show a couple of times and thought it kind of lame. But my post here is about House. I just started watching reruns a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good show. I really like Hugh Laurie (not sure why he has to be American here but whatever) and thought it was a pretty cool show. However now that I seen several episodes it is so cookie cutter and they probably write it in twenty minutes. Here's how the show goes.

1. Someone comes in sick

2. They can't figure it out...run lots of tests

3. House berates his staff while popping vicodin.

4. Patient has major seizure or starts pouring blood from some part of their body (this usually happens at the 30 min mark)

5. House walks in and tells patient they're going to die.

6. House has epiphany about the case as he stares off blankly in his best Bertie Wooster character (this is usually at the 45 minute mark)

7. Patient is saved (although sometimes they die, but usually not).

I went from thinking this show is great to pretty lame in about two weeks. Who writes this shiit?

The Two and a Half Men thread got me thinking about the state of TV today. I saw the show a couple of times and thought it kind of lame. But my post here is about House. I just started watching reruns a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good show. I really like Hugh Laurie (not sure why he has to be American here but whatever) and thought it was a pretty cool show. However now that I seen several episodes it is so cookie cutter and they probably write it in twenty minutes. Here's how the show goes.

1. Someone comes in sick

3. House berates his staff while popping vic0din.

4. Patient has major seizure or starts pouring blood from some part of their body (this usually happens at the 30 min mark)

6. House has epiphany about the case as he stares off blankly in his best Bertie Wooster character (this is usually at the 45 minute mark)

7. Patient is saved (although sometimes they die, but usually not.

I went from thinking this show is great to pretty lame in about two weeks. Who writes this shiit?

Yep, that's exactly why I stopped watching House after a few episodes.

24 has a similar problem, just stretched out of a longer season.

1. Terrorist Plot

2. Mole furthers terrorist plot.

3. First terrorist plot foiled.

4. Guy captured or killed is small potatoes.

5. New mole.

6. New terrorist Plot

7. New conspiracy.

Etc. But I still watch 24.

However, the networks canceled Life and Terminator, leaving little on TV that interests me. And why try to find something new? Chances are the show will be canceled.

This is mostly rhetorical isn't isn't it Cheffy?

If not, it looks like David Shore writes a majority of the shows. Here's what he's done in Hollywood.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0794914/

Yes it was a rhetorical question but now that you brought him up I really hope he doesn't make too much money. Hell I could write an episode between my first and second course at dinner this Saturday.

1. Terrorist Plot

5. New mole.

6. New terrorist Plot

7. New conspiracy.

However, the networks canceled Life and Terminator, leaving little on TV that interests me. And why try to find something new? Chances are the show will be canceled.

And that is why I don't really watch network TV. Most of it is crapola.

So what are your type of TV shows ?

History channel, old British sitcoms, classic movies (B&W preferably) some PBS things sports and really the only network thing I'll watch are Seinfeld reruns. The ole 500 channels and nothing on syndrome.

1. Terrorist Plot

5. New mole.

6. New terrorist Plot

7. New conspiracy.

They cancelled Life???? :thumbdown:

1. Someone comes in sick

3. House berates his staff while popping vic0din.

7. Patient is saved (although sometimes they die, but usually not.

:thumbdown: Chef, I have had the same thoughts about House everytime it gets brought up in conversation, a preview is shown, Hugh Laurie's mug is on the cover of some magazine, or whenever else I have the misfortune of coming across something regarding the show. You're right on with the synopsis of every single friggen episode that I used to try and give a chance since I somehow heard good things from others about it. Every episode there just so happens to be an incredibly out-of-this-world disease or injury that no one seems to have come across in decades, and it always so happens to occur in the hospital that this House guy works at. The latter is the good part for the patients though, because they will, 9 times out of 10, be cured by a drug addict who can't even seem to find himself a cure. It's laughable.

Life is waaaaay overrated.

It is (I guess WAS) one of the few original programs. Say what you want about the acting or production, it was never formulaic, and it was an engaging plot with multi-dimensional characters and entertaining (often funny) dialogue.

The one thing I didn't like was Donal Logue's character, he's just awful.

By the way, are you saying that the show Life is overrated, or making a pun about life itself being overrated? Couldn't really tell...

It is (I guess WAS) one of the few original programs. Say what you want about the acting or production, it was never formulaic, and it was an engaging plot with multi-dimensional characters and entertaining (often funny) dialogue.

The one thing I didn't like was Donal Logue's character, he's just awful.

By the way, are you saying that the show Life is overrated, or making a pun about life itself being overrated? Couldn't really tell...

I was talking sarcastically about the life you live every morning you wake up. The show Life? Never heard of it. :thumbdown:

Do yourself a favor and start watching Chuck. You can go to NBC.com or hulu to check out old episodes. After watching a few you will be hooked. Best show on TV right now - BY FAR.

History channel, old British sitcoms, classic movies (B&W preferably) some PBS things sports and really the only network thing I'll watch are Seinfeld reruns. The ole 500 channels and nothing on syndrome.

If you've not viewed BBCs' Jeeves and Wooster" series, it shows up on this or that PBS channel. Because of favorable geography for me, I receive 4 PBS stations....Cincinnati, Dayton, Miami(OH) Oxford campus, and Northern Kentucky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/episodes

Do yourself a favor if you haven't done so - buy some P.G. Wodehouse books. Your sides will split...guaranteed.

Mulliner Nights is a good start.

If you've not viewed BBCs' Jeeves and Wooster" series, it shows up on this or that PBS channel. Because of favorable geography for me, I receive 4 PBS stations....Cincinnati, Dayton, Miami(OH) Oxford campus, and Northern Kentucky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/episodes

Do yourself a favor if you haven't done so - buy some P.G. Wodehouse books. Your sides will split...guaranteed.

Mulliner Nights is a good start.

I've been reading Wodehouse for years and we have all seasons of Jeeves and Wooster on DVD. That's why I think it's hilarious we've got a Finknottle on this board. I wonder if he's a newt fancier? :thumbdown:

I've been reading Wodehouse for years and we have all seasons of Jeeves and Wooster on DVD. That's why I think it's hilarious we've got a Finknottle on this board. I wonder if he's a newt fancier? :lol:

I post a reply to him now and then, asking Gussie if he's been at the Drones Club recently. He replies in kind. :thumbsup:

Somewhere, I read somebody that commented that Wodehouse was the only man on the planet that actually looked good in plus fours. :P

then do it! alot of people like to complain about stuff....but not too many willing to put out a better product....

Yes it was a rhetorical question but now that you brought him up I really hope he doesn't make too much money. Hell I could write an episode between my first and second course at dinner this Saturday.

Reminds me of the Boston Legal episode where Carl Sack (John Laroquette) sues the networks for lack of quality programming...

In court Judge Clark Brown (Henry Gibson), responded with his usual characteristic exasperation, “You can’t sue the networks!” Brown roared again. “You can’t tell the networks what shows to make!” he cried.

“No, but you can order them not to discriminate!” Sack replied. “What they’re doing intentionally excludes a class of society. That’s bigotry! We should be able to turn on our damn televisions and see something other than reality shows aimed at fourth graders, game shows aimed at those slightly smarter than fifth graders and scripted shows with dimwitted, sex-crazed twenty-somethings running around in suits or doctors’ scrubs! Old people, the ones with intelligence, don’t want to watch that crap! We’re fed up! The networks might think we’re dead, but we’re not. We’re very much alive, with working brains! Give us something to watch, damn it!”

link

Now that (BL) was a great show - David Kelly was never one to shy from 'biting the hand that feeds him', usually resulting in some revealing and hilarious dialogue.