Serious question on the gay marriage issue

First of all, who's to say there is no "Gay gene"? We don't know of it, but that means very little. We are in the very early stages of this sort of thing.

But, genes certainly dictate many things, including gender, hair color, eye color, race, etc. You can choose to dye your hair, but you can't choose to have your hair be red naturally, no matter how much you wish it to be, or what your parents teach you.

You can choose to engage in only heterosexual relationships, but that doesn't change your sexual orientation.

Consider your example of hair. Hair color clearly genetically determined, but there is no 'hair color' gene. At best it is believed to be determined by the combination of several different genes, producing chemicals which - reacting with the environment - result in a hair color. Which may or may not change over time.

You also point to race. It also is genetic. But it would be a mistake to say that there is a black gene or a caucasian gene. You have lot's of different genes which contribute to the whole. Genes that we might think of as typically black can occur in non-blacks, and vice-versa. The determination that we make about race is not tied to a gene, but rather to the collective contributions of many. And worse, such a determination is subjective - which, when you think about it, means the environment is playing a role. A person might be judged black by one group of people and white by another.

Saying that there is a gay gene suggests that there is a particular gene which

(1) you either have or do not have, and

(2) it alone determines your sexual orientation. If you have it but don't think you are gay, stop fooling yourself. If you don't have it but are attracted to the same sex, quit being a poser.

I believe this to be both wrong and dangerous - as dangerous as if, say, we isolated specific genes and declared them to be the official 'black gene,' 'asian gene,' 'caucasian gene,' etc for determining a persons race.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider your example of hair. Hair color clearly genetically determined, but there is no 'hair color' gene. At best it is believed to be determined by the combination of several different genes, producing chemicals which - reacting with the environment - result in a hair color. Which may or may not change over time.

-------------

I believe this to be both wrong and dangerous - as dangerous as if, say, we isolated specific genes and declared them to be the official 'black gene,' 'asian gene,' 'caucasian gene,' etc for determining a persons race.

There has been a new report "identifying" an Autism Gene.

Analysis of the DNA of 1,046 members of families with at least two sons affected by autism revealed that a variant of the gene CACNA1G, located on chromosome 17, was consistently associated with autism, the researchers reported.

If they find a gay gene, will they look for a "cure"?

There has been a new report "identifying" an Autism Gene.

Analysis of the DNA of 1,046 members of families with at least two sons affected by autism revealed that a variant of the gene CACNA1G, located on chromosome 17, was consistently associated with autism, the researchers reported.

If they find a gay gene, will they look for a "cure"?

Maybe parents can then sue that as yet another reason to abort their zygots (sp???). Just like when they find the murder gene, stupid gene, liberal gene.

Maybe parents can then sue that as yet another reason to abort their zygots (sp???). Just like when they find the murder gene, stupid gene, liberal gene.

As a parent of an autistic child I can say this as a fact

You are a F U C K I N G moron that has no clue whatsoever!!!

It's the idiots like you that breeds todays intolerance !!

This isn't about equal protection. Keep trying to make the gay issue a physical trait and not a societal one.

:thumbsup::lol:

There seems to be a strong correlation between H-Y antigens and birth-order and the likelihood of

male homosexuality. Basically younger fraternal brothers have a higher propensity to be homosexual.

Still an open debate....but basically the theory is more male babies have a cumulative inoculating effect against

more heterosexual male babies in the uterus.

http://www.pnas.org/content/103/28/10771.full.pdf

Evolutionarily speaking it is of interest. Perhaps a survival mechanism to prevent younger and weaker males from

violence in the reproductive pool. Seems to make more sense than a gene theory among a population generally not predisposed to the procreative act.

As a parent of an autistic child I can say this as a fact

You are a F U C K I N G moron that has no clue whatsoever!!!

It's the idiots like you that breeds todays intolerance !!

Way to miss my point you F U C K I N G moron.

And you have a problem dealing with people with disabilities?

Type II Bipolar Disorder. Want to compare disabilities? Mine'll kill me before yours does.

I also don't give a sh--. People who define themselves by disabilities are just looking for excuses to fail.

Way to miss my point you F U C K I N G moron.

Your point was what ??

how does this thread on gay marriage, gay gene, autism gene equal abortion?

Sue what ? Themselves?

or that you wish people will start aborting zygots with autism ?

or that you wish people will start aborting zygots that will be gay?

yeah I got it you misspelled use - sue.

I also don't give a sh-- . People who define themselves by disabilities are just looking for excuses to fail.

Is that what you are doing? looking for excuses to fail. You'll die before I will.

Because I don't !! The only reason I metioned it was because you threw it out as an insult. But hey you are BiPolar we shouldn't expect less from you!!

Let's put aside the discussion of genes, for a moment.

For those here who are heterosexual, when did you choose to be heterosexual? When did you make a conscious decision to be attracted to members of the opposite sex?

If you are like most of us, the question makes no sense. You never faced that choice. You simply ARE heterosexual, and were attracted to the opposite sex. You feel, as I do, that it is "normal".

As weird as it may seem to you, the vast majority of homosexuals have the same experience. They didn't choose to be homosexual, they just happen to be attracted to persons of the same sex.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But, really, who cares? There are homosexuals involved in heterosexual relationships, and I am sure the opposite is true. They are the exceptions to the general rule of sexuality.

As for the normality of being homosexual, what is "normal"? There are far more gay people than there are redheaded people. Are redheads "abnormal"? There are documented accounts of gay animals...are they "abnormal"?

What about people with MS? Autism? Etc? Should their rights be suppressed because they are abnormal?

For those here who are heterosexual, when did you choose to be heterosexual? When did you make a conscious decision to be attracted to members of the opposite sex?

The first time that I got it I was just ten years old

I got it from some kitty next door

I went and see the Doctor and he gave me the cure

I think I got it some more

Your point was what ??

how does this thread on gay marriage, gay gene, autism gene equal abortion?

Sue what ? Themselves?

or that you wish people will start aborting zygots with autism ?

or that you wish people will start aborting zygots that will be gay?

yeah I got it you misspelled use - sue.

Is that what you are doing? looking for excuses to fail. You'll die before I will.

Because I don't !! The only reason I metioned it was because you threw it out as an insult. But hey you are BiPolar we shouldn't expect less from you!!

Because if people find the gay gene, then they likely will use it as a reason to abort their zygots. Just as many use it to kill their down child, their out of wedlock children, etc.. I applaud you for caring and lovin your children no matter what. There are too many people in this world who will use whatever excuse to rid themselves of problems , and yes having a gay child is a problem in society. You ever see the movie Gatica?

Because if people find the gay gene, then they likely will use it as a reason to abort their zygots. Just as many use it to kill their down child, their out of wedlock children, etc.. I applaud you for caring and lovin your children no matter what. There are too many people in this world who will use whatever excuse to rid themselves of problems , and yes having a gay child is a problem in society. You ever see the movie Gatica?

Gatica?? Isn't that the big flying insect that kills Godzilla?

Gatica?? Isn't that the big flying insect that kills Godzilla?

Maybe I have the wrong movie. It's about babies that can only be born to the right people and only with the proper genes. Otherwise they are aborted or relegated to sweeping floors. Ability has nothing to do with it, it is DNA and genes only.

Maybe I have the wrong movie. It's about babies that can only be born to the right people and only with the proper genes. Otherwise they are aborted or relegated to sweeping floors. Ability has nothing to do with it, it is DNA and genes only.

Whatever, I was thinking of Mothra anyway. :cry: