Serious question on the gay marriage issue

How are you possibly going to tackle that problem of homophobia? Certainly not the way you espouse.

what do you propose so?

For me letting homosexuals having access to all rights heterosexuals have (including marriage, kids...) is the best way to fight homophobia because homosexuals become "normal" and can have the life of the societal norm you talk about. As long as you let homosexuals outside main stream society denying them any chance to be in the "societal norm" you feed homophobia, like ghettos feed racism.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you propose so?

For me letting homosexuals having access to all rights heterosexuals have (including marriage, kids...) is the best way to fight homophobia because homosexuals become "normal" and can have the life of the societal norm you talk about. As long as you let homosexuals outside main stream society denying them any chance to be in the "societal norm" you feed homophobia, like ghettos feed racism.

How is denying marriage denying them childen? People still have chiildren single or out of wedlock. It doesn't feed anything.

They can still live together and do everything everybody else does.

There is only one norm.

How is denying marriage denying them childen? People still have chiildren single or out of wedlock. It doesn't feed anything.

They can still live together and do everything everybody else does.

There is only one norm.

So if marriage is so unimportant for you why denying that right to homosexuals?!

So if marriage is so unimportant for you why denying that right to homosexuals?!

Did not say that marriage is not unimportant. Why are gays trying to be the norm, they are anything but the norm. The vast majority of people support a hetero lifestyle. That is where the social mores lie... And the law should promote what the social mores are, not the other way around. One can still live a gay lifestyle and do whatever. Marriage should be recognized between a man and woman. You can't marry your sister or brother, where is the outcry on that? Those types of marriages are denied.

EDIT: What about plural marriages too? They are denied by law.

Did not say that marriage is not unimportant. Why are gays trying to be the norm, they are anything but the norm. The vast majority of people support a hetero lifestyle. That is where the social mores lie... And the law should promote what the social mores are, not the other way around. One can still live a gay lifestyle and do whatever. Marriage should be recognized between a man and woman. You can't marry your sister or brother, where is the outcry on that? Those types of marriages are denied.

EDIT: What about plural marriages too? They are denied by law.

OK Mr Normative... :wacko:

OK Mr Normative... :wacko:

:P Oh, I am not normal!

:thumbsup:

But really... You think the Mormons who want plural marriage would be all in favor of the gays getting married... IMO, it breaks it down easier to eventually accept plural marriages. We go from one standard to more than one, where does it stop? I am not one to cry slippery slope, but this is really one of them.

:thumbsup: Oh, I am not normal!

:wacko:

But really... You think the Mormons who want plural marriage would be all in favor of the gays getting married... IMO, it breaks it down easier to eventually accept plural marriages. We go from one standard to more than one, where does it stop? I am not one to cry slippery slope, but this is really one of them.

so what if it slip down low ? I have no problem with people getting married with their dog if they want... I have no idea why marriage is regulated at all by public law... i can not think of a more private matter than that... but people need norms ... I never understood why...

Excuse me i thought Freedom still meant something in the USA...

so what if it slip down low ? I have no problem with people getting married with their dog if they want... I have no idea why marriage is regulated at all by public law... i can not think of a more private matter than that... but people need norms ... I never understood why...

Excuse me i thought Freedom still meant something in the USA...

Ok people can marry their dogs...what happens if they marry their horses? Then you get a bunch of the creatures like the one in your avatar.

Ok people can marry their dogs...what happens if they marry their horses? Then you get a bunch of the creatures like the one in your avatar.

Hey... it is possible... What is wrong with that? We are breaking down social mores right. A little far fetched though and silly.

What is your take on plural marriage? Shouldn't they be granted equal protection and the right to live happily?

They are called Centaurs and the Grenoble Centaures are kicking butt in the French football league this year!!

Man imagine if the Bills had a couple of them, strong and fast like horses with the brain and hands of men!

Hey... it is possible... What is wrong with that? We are breaking down social mores right. A little far fetched though and silly.

What is your take on plural marriage? Shouldn't they be granted equal protection and the right to live happily?

As long as nobody is being coerced into the plural marriage (as was sometimes the case in the Mormon culture), I say live and let live. If it makes somebody happy, and nobody is getting hurt, why not?

I'm not exactly passionate about this issue...I like women and I only want to marry one of them, like most guys. But if somebody wants to do it a different way, I won't get on their case.

i have no problem with plural marriage. It has existed for thousands of years in parts of the World. As long as it is a mutual agreement what's the problem? Other than not being in the "norm" what kind of problems does plural marriages bring?

As long as nobody is being coerced into the plural marriage (as was sometimes the case in the Mormon culture), I say live and let live. If it makes somebody happy, and nobody is getting hurt, why not?

I'm not exactly passionate about this issue...I like women and I only want to marry one of them, like most guys. But if somebody wants to do it a different way, I won't get on their case.

Fair enough.

On a similar note you brought up :P , I guess Nikola Tesla wasn't so far off by today's standards proclaiming:

As Tesla confessed, he loved that pigeon: "Yes, I loved that pigeon, I loved her as a man loves a woman, and she loved me."

Let it all ride! :wacko::thumbsup:

i have no problem with plural marriage. It has existed for thousands of years in parts of the World. As long as it is a mutual agreement what's the problem? Other than not being in the "norm" what kind of problems does plural marriages bring?

Fine. Then why is it illegal? They should strike that down.