Electrical question

Fezmid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't think that a breaker circuit would be exclusively devoted to just one bathroom fixture...

Fez also said these exact word in his original thread starting post (that IMO is not a consumer item 'Tapper :unsure: ):

"I checked the breaker box, and none of the breakers were tripped."

Oh Wacka, I also had an uncle that would launch torpedos down the street with a hammer! :thumbsup::devil:

Far as I know, he didn't go that way. Died many years ago an old man.

Ya, you probably would not have a problem at the lower 110 voltage because he was using his two fingers on the same hand... What I mean is the electricity went in one finger and out the next close by. Now, if there was no proper ground, that is another story... Still taking a big chance! Now if he would have did it with a finger on one hand and another finger ont he other, that is where he may have ran into a problem... That is how people usually do run into problems and their heart stops.

Still kinda a funny story Wacka! :thumbsup:

Reminds me of my grandmother, she would always extinguish a prayer candle at church with two fingers. My brother was young an thought it was cool, so he tried it. I guess he was too slow AND he diddn't see my grandmother WET her two fingers first! :devil::unsure:

Well, I didn't electrocute myself!

I took the outlet out and noticed that one of the wires was a little loose. Pushed it back into the switch, tightened it up, and it all seems to be working now. That was easy (except for the fear of death :thumbdown: ).

I took the outlet out and noticed that one of the wires was a little loose. Pushed it back into the switch, tightened it up, and it all seems to be working now. That was easy (except for the fear of death :sick: ).

:thumbdown:

My guess is the switch, they do burn out/wear out after time. How old is the house?

It's a good idea to replace receptacles and switches when you buy a house, if it's more that 10 years old. No hard-and-fast rule. Myself, I change them regardless.

Especially the receptacles. They lose tension to hold the plugged in things over time, and can arc. And never use a device with an aged, or frayed power cord.

Newer building codes are requiring AFCIs. At a cost...

http://books.google.com/books?id=60k0Q9tpm...lt&resnum=1

http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/AFCI.html

I took the outlet out and noticed that one of the wires was a little loose. Pushed it back into the switch, tightened it up, and it all seems to be working now. That was easy (except for the fear of death :P ).

We're damn proud of you. Congratulations you handy home repair guy, you. :thumbsup:

Make sure the Mrs. knows what a catch she has!

That used to work for me - until my wife started learning how to fix things around the house too. :lol:

I took the outlet out and noticed that one of the wires was a little loose. Pushed it back into the switch, tightened it up, and it all seems to be working now. That was easy (except for the fear of death :censored: ).

From my post (#28, page 2):

"Have you checked the connection on the switch... You can test the switch by taking it off and putting a continuity tester to check that it is working okay."

:censored::unsure:

That will be 150 bucks, I only take cash... No personal checks! :P

Glad it worked out... Switches usually don't go bad, usually... They are pretty durable (single pole).

What you can do is tighten the connection down and then put a few wraps of electrical tape around it. What switch lead wire was loose? The one going into the switch or the lead going to the fixture?... In a piped house where everything is encased with electrical metal tubing (EMT) and boxes, if it was the switch lead coming in (hot)... It would have touched the metal box and immediately tripped (most likely, there are some cicumstances where it may not). Even if it didn't go right to ground, it could have arced and then went to ground when the arc came in contact with the metal enclosure (most of the time). Even if it didn't trip at the panel, nothing is combustable in enclosed in the metal, except the wires... And those burned up wires can be yanked and new wire pulled easily without tearing apart walls. There has been a number of times I needed a switch lead where the electrican didn't leave one... I just pulled a new one, around all kinds of funky corners, wall, etc... Just the wire and a fish tape! For you good thing it wasn't arcing around in there since with romex and plastic boxes, there is nothing to mechanically protect it by getting the arc to ground/neutral/hot except an AFCI (which may not work all the time with romex and plastic boxes). Sorry, I am preaching... :P

Anyway... :thumbsup::lol:

My guess is the switch, they do burn out/wear out after time. How old is the house?

I guess it depends on what kind you get. I never had to replace a bad single pole switch... Not the fancy dimmers and motion sensor switch, those yes. We have various switches at work that are going on 50+ years. I guess they don't build them like they used too! :thumbsup::lol:

It's a good idea to replace receptacles and switches when you buy a house, if it's more that 10 years old. No hard-and-fast rule. Myself, I change them regardless.

Especially the receptacles. They lose tension to hold the plugged in things over time, and can arc. And never use a device with an aged, or frayed power cord.

Newer building codes are requiring AFCIs. At a cost...

http://books.google.com/books?id=60k0Q9tpm...lt&resnum=1

http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/AFCI.html

Even better (AFCI's) in piped applications... I don't understand why everything is not code to be in conduit... It is easier to install and in the long run, whatever cost you fork out at the start is made up 20 fold later down through the years.

Anything else is crap.

Here is my sentiment that somebody else posted elsewhere in an electrical forum:

Well here it is the reason why most contractors are not very interested in this product (AFCI) is because 90% of the country uses romex. Now here in Chicago where most residential and commercial projects are completely piped.

Now I understand the dilemma with you guys who dont want to run RMC, IMC, EMT, or armored cable.

100% of residential dwellings here are in conduit so an ARC Fault device would work great here.

There is too much plastic floating around nowadays!