Aggravatingly stupid people

Acantha

Apparently I'm overly cautious.

As are merchants. While a cardholder's liability for a stollen card is limited to $50, the merchant (and his bank) is on the hook for the entire amount if they do not follow the Visa transaction protocol. Ouch...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of things:

1. I didn't "crucify the girl" behind the counter. The conversation went just like I wrote. I was polite about it, even though I was aggravated.

2. No one in line behind me

3. The "don't lose your card crowd", hey sh-- happens. Even sh-- that doesn't involve "losing", but things being stolen. It's like saying don't wear your seat belt and just don't get hit.

3. On to the rule. I actually DID read the sign she pointed to on the counter which explained the rule that Jack linked to. Though on the sign it only said they were not acceptable without signature. And I said that the rule was one thing, and the fact that she wanted me to just sign the card right there and everything was fine was another. And I think VISA saying to have the customer do that with no further explanation is just as bad as what the girl was doing. (maybe there's more to it on the download)

Now, the link that Lurker posted adds something to that that makes it more acceptable. If they ask for your government ID so they can match up the signatures, that would work.

So whether I was right to get annoyed with this girl or not (apparently I wasn't as it was less her stupidity than VISA's) , I still think it's a bad rule. I get my ID matched to my card FAR more often than either I used to, or I see others getting checked. There's been more than a few times that I've been with multiple people paying together and they checked my ID and no one elses just because I had it written there. In fact, that's why I started doing it, because a friend of mine had it and that happened to him.

Just because someone stealing a card may not try to take the time to learn my signature (and I disagree with that too....I'm not saying someone is going to sit at home practicing for a week. It would take 30 seconds to see how I sign and then get it as close as they are quickly able), doesn't mean there isn't a reason to use it as a precaution.

EDIT: Just started reading more into that link Lurker. I think number 3 is nuts (obviously). Why would you not want them to make sure you're supposed to be using the card? It takes 5 seconds. I understand your point Jack, there's no reason for someone to have to make a copy of anything. I wouldn't want copies of my ID laying around either. But just checking ID's? I don't get it.

My credit score is as perfect as I can get it, and I've heard too many horror stories about credit getting jacked up (not to mention the unbelievable hassle of trying to get everything sorted out) because of stolen cards. Apparently I'm overly cautious.

Sometimes the actual event is not translated well through text. In this instance I definately pictured something that wasn't the case. I'm sure everybody here knows the d-bag type that makes something like this a big deal and belittles someone. As for the situation with the card, I'm still siding with the sign it approach. If someone steals my card and replicates my signature then good for them. Most credit card companies are fair when it comes to this type of situation. Besides you can't go to far without being on camera these days.

Wait, I'm confused. Who was the annoyingly stupid person in this story?

:devil:

I'd vote for people who don't carry enough cash to make an 89-cent purchase. :w00t:

I can see it now on another message board...

Aggravatingly stupid people

So this guy comes into my 7-11 last night and wants to use an unsigned credit card to buy an 89 cent drink... :w00t:

:devil::w00t:

I'd vote for people who don't carry enough cash to make an 89-cent purchase. :w00t:

Exactly! Can't they scatch up 3 quarters, a dime, and a nickel in their ash tray (I don't smoke, but I use the ash tray as a change depository)?... Unless he has a new car and didn't opt for the ash tray (which is a 50 buck option now... :devil: ).

:w00t:

I'd vote for people who don't carry enough cash to make an 89-cent purchase. :devil:

God I hate that. I get that all the time in my business. People try to use their debit cards for a transaction under a dollar. It costs me .50 cents just to make the transaction. I end up losing money. How can you not have a dollar?

God I hate that. I get that all the time in my business. People try to use their debit cards for a transaction under a dollar. It costs me .50 cents just to make the transaction. I end up losing money. How can you not have a dollar?

I thought debit was free? Or is it only cheaper than credit?

And since it seems to be of so much interest, I had just used the last of my cash at a previous stop. I was going in to use their ATM, but it was broken, so I just used the card (I swear I said this earlier).

And since it seems to be of so much interest, I had just used the last of my cash at a previous stop. I was going in to use their ATM, but it was broken, so I just used the card (I swear I said this earlier).

I thought there was a 25 cent fee on all... You push it through on your debit (by canceling the PIN) and signing for it as a "credit" and you pass that 25 cent fee onto the merchant... Some banks will pass the fee onto YOU if you use your PIN and make it a debit transaction.

Clarification... ?? I know I get no fees if I use my debit card and push it through as a "credit." Notice how when you swipe your debit card, the computer "hussles" you right to the PIN screen (all merchants are different with their systems)... The you have to "cancel" to get to the proceed to process as "credit."

Not free. I got a bad deal I guess.

BTW. I get that "ask of ID" a lot. I even put the same thing on my cards. I never hassle anyone when I see that. I just oblige.

Not free. I got a bad deal I guess.

BTW. I get that "ask of ID" a lot. I even put the same thing on my cards. I never hassle anyone when I see that. I just oblige.

If you are a mechant... What I take from this is that you are breaking the terms of service and could be held liable for fraudent charges. Now if that merchant has a young kid working the counter, why would they take the risk? Especially knowing if they have a douchebag boss that may make them eat the mistake for not following the Visa rules.

If you are a mechant... What I take from this is that you are breaking the terms of service and could be held liable for fraudent charges. Now if that merchant has a young kid working the counter, why would they take the risk? Especially knowing if they have a douchebag boss that may make them eat the mistake for not following the Visa rules.

Yes I am a merchant. I'm the one at risk for fraudulent charges, anyway. I should be able to handle any transaction anyway I choose.

Under the "Rules For Visa Merchants" guide (it's online, you can download it) using 'See ID' is not acceptable. Here's the section....

“See ID”

Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking

that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not

on the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it. In reality, criminals don’t take

the time to practice signatures: they use cards as quickly as possible after a

theft and prior to the accounts being blocked. They are actually counting on you

not to look at the back of the card and compare signatures—they may even have

access to counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting.

“See ID” or “Ask for ID” is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer

must sign the card in your presence, as stated above.

So she was just following the rules.

Is that what they call these people. :devil:

no ones every checked mine.....its weird it happens in some places and not in others.....

Now in some places, I have been asked for my ID.....and I thank them for doing that......I'd rather someone ask for my ID than my signature

Seeing how Visa (etc...) is not supposed to be transferable... I was amazed when I used my wife's debit card (I was getting a new one... Same checking account)... I said to the cashier: "It's my wife's." They asked me for ID because I opened my mouth expecting a problem. They let the purchase go through. I guess nobody gives a hoot. I had my paper checkbook ready just in case.