The Bills are trying to lock up Terrence

nodnarb

From Len P's tip sheet:

It isn't one of the NFL's more heavily publicized deadlines, but teams must sign players to contract extensions by Monday, if they want to apply much (or, in some cases, all) of what essentially is the signing bonus to base salary for 2004. It is a maneuver that allows teams to expend extra salary cap room since the space cannot be carried over into the next season. As noted by ESPN.com in the past couple weeks, the Philadelphia Eagles use the technique almost annually to extend the contracts of good young players, and this year was no exception, with deals for wide receiver Michael Lewis and standout cornerback Sheldon Brown. There could be a few other extensions by the Monday deadline. Buffalo has approached second-year corner Terrence McGee about a four-year extension, but so far the numbers, which include a seven-figure signing bonus, haven't jibed. McGee leads the AFC with a 28.0-yard kickoff return average, has two runbacks for touchdowns, and has played well as a starting corner in the absence of the injured Troy Vincent. The Redskins are working on a deal for cornerback Fred Smoot, a player they can't afford to have escape in free agency next spring, but it isn't likely to be completed by Monday. New York Jets right offensive tackle Kareem McKenzie this week rejected an extension offer and probably will wait until after the season to negotiate with the Jets or test the free agency market.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1916628

Cool, I hope they get it done. While I'm not on board with McGee being a starting corner, he is a very good return man and a solid nickle. If this gets done now, we have some decent room under the cap next year to make some solid moves.

This would be unbelievable. I think McGee is going to be a stud CB--especially with Vincent tutoring him. And if we can lock him up, I won't feel as bad if we end up losing Clements.

The key question is: how much cap room do we have this year? I guess the real incentive for the Bills behind doing a deal now with McGee is being able to shift some of his money onto this year's cap figure before the deadline (next week). See this blurb from ESPN.com:

"Teams must sign players to extensions by early next week to have a portion of the new money count as base salary for 2004. It is a way of using spare cap room in the current season..."