ABB at the Fox

Chef Jim

Saw the Allman Brothers last night at the Fox Theater in Oakland. A great venue, they did an incredible job of restoring it. Was there by myself so I was able to get up close and personal three feet from the stage. Long night of over 4 1/2 hours on standing (3 1/2 hour show with half hour intermission) and a walk home from the BART station but well worth it. If you get a chance check them out, good show. Set list:

Set 1:

Done Somebody Wrong

You Don't Love Me

Midnight Rider

Orpheo

The Sky Is Crying

Come And Go Blues

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl>

Whipping Post

Set 2:

Revival

The Same Thing

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Leave My Blues At Home

Dreams>

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (with extended drum solo)

encore:

Southbound

The transition from Dreams to IMOER was flawless.

Wow, sounds great.

Any surprises in the band lineup?

Nope. At first I was hoping like at the Beacon in NYC they would, but I have a feeling bringing in guest musicians probably messed with the continuity and flow of the show. During the show last night I was glad they didn't have anyone join them because they were dialed in. I know Bob Weir and Phil Lesh are in town because the Dead plays tonight so I thought they may pop in but they didn't and I'm glad.

Speaking of the Dead Warren Haynes is amazing. He played with the Dead in Mountainview on Sunday and with the ABB Tuesday and lastnight and then back with the Dead tonight. I have not seen him live with the Dead but I feel his style is much more suited for the ABB and he's been playing with them for years. Derek and him are perfect together. They are spot on but for the most part they don't even look at each other. They're just tuned in. And Oteil on bass....well you just gotta hear him. And Butch Trucks may be an old fart now but I think he's better now than he was 30 years ago.