Buy Black Experiment

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to argue with you when it's early in the day while you're more coherent.

:thumbsup:

You can't keep up now, after I've had one glass of wine.

Isn't a black man President? I now reserve the right to be an equal opportunity offender. That's right you crackers, spic's, slopes and niggas!

Seriously though, your argument about who has the 'right' is ridiculous. Gotta love your moral equivalence scale though. You're priceless! :thumbsup:

Who is representative of the Slopes??

The point, of course, is many people try to do business "with their own", whatever that may mean. For years, Italians supported Italian run businesses, same with the Jews and the Arabs. Black America is much further behind, in that area, partly because there was a dearth of Black owned businesses for such a long time.

That's a fact (not sure about the Arabian-Americans, though, and maybe I'm not sure because it's a group that is newer to the US). Same with every voluntary immigrant group--patronize "your own," and let the group's entrepreneurs lead the way to cultural assimilation. It's tried-and-true in this country, and it lasts today in some of America's more segregated communities (there can't be a better example than Buffalo, can there?).

There are two key differences:

1. Those groups didn't try to buy from their group on an exclusive basis. That's going to make it tougher on the buyers in this movement.

2. Those groups weren't quite as visually different, so it was easier to assimilate. That actually makes this movement more meaningful.

It's an interesting movement. I don't think it can succeed on an exclusive basis, but as entrepreneurship is a key component of building wealth, it's a good idea.

The point, of course, is many people try to do business "with their own", whatever that may mean. For years, Italians supported Italian run businesses, same with the Jews and the Arabs. Black America is much further behind, in that area, partly because there was a dearth of Black owned businesses for such a long time. Many Jews avoided German-owned businesses for a long time, a few still do. In fact this was in today's Jacksonville Times Union:

That may have been true at one time (and still may be in certain areas); but believe me, come to NYC, noone cares what color you are as long as you offer quality stuff at a decent price.

That may have been true at one time (and still may be in certain areas); but believe me, come to NYC, noone cares what color you are as long as you offer quality stuff at a decent price.

I actually think that is generally true about most people of all races and ethnicities, in most areas of the country.

This "Buy Black" thing looks to be a VERY small group. I just find it amusing that there are a group of posters (presumably White posters) who look for opportunities to make a big deal about issues like this, when they involve Blacks, or other minorities. You can see the knee-jerk reaction from these same posters when it is pointed out that White racism is still alive and well. While the country has come a long way, in the past 50 years, there is still plenty of racism around, from and toward virtually all groups.

I actually think that is generally true about most people of all races and ethnicities, in most areas of the country.

Ever notice that we're a little, um, behind, here in Buffalo? That maybe we're not doing as well, economically, as the rest of the country?

There's a lot of racism and ethnic bias here. I've lived in a lot of places, and this is pretty unique. This bs keeps Buffalo behind, and yes, I know that the current mayor is black. Now, I see one black person in a suit in downtown Buffalo--him. That's up from zero.

This "Buy Black" thing looks to be a VERY small group. I just find it amusing that there are a group of posters (presumably White posters) who look for opportunities to make a big deal about issues like this, when they involve Blacks, or other minorities. You can see the knee-jerk reaction from these same posters when it is pointed out that White racism is still alive and well. While the country has come a long way, in the past 50 years, there is still plenty of racism around, from and toward virtually all groups.

"All right... we'll give some land to the !@#$s and the chinks. But we don't want the Irish! " (Blazing Saddles-for you youngsters)

Ever notice that we're a little, um, behind, here in Buffalo? That maybe we're not doing as well, economically, as the rest of the country?

There's a lot of racism and ethnic bias here. I've lived in a lot of places, and this is pretty unique. This bs keeps Buffalo behind, and yes, I know that the current mayor is black. Now, I see one black person in a suit in downtown Buffalo--him. That's up from zero.

I grew up in NF and lived in Buffalo for several years. I have also lived in Boston, SF (twice), LA, Milwaukee (briefly), Long Island, NYC (very briefly) and now, Northern Florida.

I think, while there is some bigotry in WNY, it pales in comparison to that in Boston and Florida. To be fair, I lived in Boston in the late 80's, so things may have changed. I also witnessed a surprising amount of bigotry on Long Island (against Blacks and Jews...even though there are plenty of both in the population, there).

"All right... we'll give some land to the !@#$s and the chinks. But we don't want the Irish! " (Blazing Saddles-for you youngsters)

An awesome movie. :thumbsup:

I saw Carlos Mencia last week and that dude nails it. He offends everyone. He has some grerat stuff about Obama, you should've been there. :thumbsup:

Hmmm....I'll be sure to look up the other comics on YouTube that Mencia stole his Obama jokes from.

I grew up in NF and lived in Buffalo for several years. I have also lived in Boston, SF (twice), LA, Milwaukee (briefly), Long Island, NYC (very briefly) and now, Northern Florida.

I think, while there is some bigotry in WNY, it pales in comparison to that in Boston and Florida. To be fair, I lived in Boston in the late 80's, so things may have changed. I also witnessed a surprising amount of bigotry on Long Island (against Blacks and Jews...even though there are plenty of both in the population, there).

But not SF, LA, NYC, or Milwaukee, apparently.

With the possible exception of Milwaukee (I know nothing about the place), the rest are doing better than Buffalo is. And they tend to be meritocracies, LA's notorious police force notwithstanding.

I can name some other, more well-integrated cities, that also are doing better: DC, Atlanta, Charlotte (that's two Deep South cities, MORE integrated, and doing better), and San Antonio.

Moreover, we need to put not just race, but ethnicity, aside in WNY. No more, "Hey, my name's O'Neill, so I'll vote for Murphy." Gotta stop. Most American cities really don't think about ethnicity at all--you're American, or not. The Rust Belt cities, not so much, but where are those cities (including Buffalo)?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519965,00.html

"Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey."

"We've still got that 'the white man's water is colder' mentality," he said. "We can't take us for granted. When we go to our establishments, it's almost like we're doing a favor. That ought to be a given for us."

It seems to me that this is the type of divisive behavior that will harm race relations. I see what they are trying to do, but it just doesn't seem quite right. How will anyone take a black business owner seriously if they think the only reason they are succeeding is because black people refuse to shop at the white owned store due to the race of the owner?

If white people only buy white we are the racists. I see this country going down the crapper faster and faster every day. I'm only buying white. If a negro is at the counter at McDonalds, am I a racist to ask for a whtie person to serve me? This is F()cking ridiculous.