This Really Grinds My Gears

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22439.html

I can basically sum this up:

Democrats: "Bush and all his cronies need to rot in a prison cell for torture! The CIA needs to be outed! We have to do everything we can to embarrass them! GET THE TORCHES!!!!"

Republicans: "Uhh...you guys were on the same committee and knew about all of this and did nothing to prevent it when you could have."

Democrats: "LIARS! We knew nothing about this! This was all the Republicans fault! We had NOTHING to do with this!"

CIA: "Uhh...here are the memos basically saying you guys knew about it and did nothing to stop it."

Democrats: "LIARS! The CIA is just out to get us! Pay attention to them, not to us!"

The end sums it up well:

"But Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), the longest-serving member of the Intelligence Committee, said that if Pelosi or other Democrats objected to the interrogation techniques when they were briefed on them, they could have offered legislation — or withheld appropriations for the program.

“We’re not without power up here,” Hatch said. “Now, they can make a fuss on policy differences, but to try and besmirch the people who had these tough decisions to make during those trying times is really offensive to people like me.”

Asked if he felt the relevant lawmakers were kept informed of the interrogation tactics, Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas, who was the top Republican on the Intelligence Committee, offered what he called “a strong, affirmative yes.”

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the same people who knew about the "warrantless wiretapping" for years, approved it, then got outraged after NYT broke the story, stomped their feet, then passed an extension of the same authority, stomped their feet some more, and quietly slunked away when the courts affirmed the power to "warrantlessly wiretap." Suddenly, it's no longer an issue.

Can't wait for the outrage when someone recognizes that Gitmo can't be closed down.

You mean the same people who knew about the "warrantless wiretapping" for years, approved it, then got outraged after NYT broke the story, stomped their feet, then passed an extension of the same authority, stomped their feet some more, and quietly slunked away when the courts affirmed the power to "warrantlessly wiretap." Suddenly, it's no longer an issue.

No surprise when their Fearless Leader repeatedly claims he had nothing to do with the current economic situation despite being a Senator for the last 4 years.

What about that nasty rendition program Bush Clinton started? How dare the Bush Clinton administration setup a program to capture terrorists Mad Caused Disasters and interrogate them?

What about the Carnivore program that Bush Clinton authorized that gave government agents the ability to copy all the e-mail traffic that goes through an ISPs server-computer?

I guess it's only Republicans that get slammed when supposed civil liberties are trampled but the Democrats can do it without any repudiation from the left or the MSM.

No surprise when their Fearless Leader repeatedly claims he had nothing to do with the current economic situation despite being a Senator for the last 4 years.

Franckly you can attack Obama on a lot of things but the influence an US Senator may have on the world economy is about as big as the influence a Bills fan may have on the play calling of the team!

Franckly you can attack Obama on a lot of things but the influence an US Senator may have on the world economy is about as big as the influence a Bills fan may have on the play calling of the team!

Well the fans basically got rid of clean up the city boy in favor of a glove wearing Mary from Los Gatos, so that is some influence.

Well the fans basically got rid of clean up the city boy in favor of a glove wearing Mary from Los Gatos, so that is some influence.

It's not really what i'll call "influence the play calling".... and anyway we have seen the results... :rolleyes:

and in fact it's probably a good reason why Sports fans should NOT have influence on the way "their" teams are managed and why politicians should NOT have influence on the way the economy is managed!

Frankly you can attack Obama on a lot of things but the influence an US Senator may have on the world economy is about as big as the influence a Bills fan may have on the play calling of the team!

I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about the world economy but rather the US economy, where Obama approved virtually every spending measure he could when he showed up for his job, only to become president and repeatedly say (on his own and through his aides): "I inherited this problem." He contributed to this problem, and since he's been in office, all he's done is put the ball in motion to make things worse by spending out his ass with absolutely no accountability.

Not quite, as unlike fans who have no responsibility towards the a team, a senator is actually a member of the government with responsibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a surprising share of influence (not a major share of blame, mind you, just more influence than you'd expect), given his populist leanings and the US government's policy towards home ownership the past 30 years.

Not quite, as unlike fans who have no responsibility towards the a team, a senator is actually a member of the government with responsibilities.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a surprising share of influence (not a major share of blame, mind you, just more influence than you'd expect), given his populist leanings and the US government's policy towards home ownership the past 30 years.

Can you explain me how a democrat senator can have any real influence on the US government actions of a republican President?

I understand he may have helped in vetoying some Bush administration plans but come on it's not the obstruction of a couple of bills that has changed anything in the state of the economy (and frankly LAbills fan you're very naive thinking there is any difference between the US economy - or any national economy- and the world economy)

Can you explain me how a democrat senator can have any real influence on the US government actions of a republican President?

I understand he may have helped in vetoying some Bush administration plans but come on it's not the obstruction of a couple of bills that has changed anything in the state of the economy (and frankly LAbills fan you're very naive thinking there is any difference between the US economy - or any national economy- and the world economy)

The president doesn't write the budget, Congress does. All he can do is tell them his priorities and what he would like to see in it, and threaten to veto it if what they pass is too unacceptable.

No sitting President has ever said "Gee, we need some big-ass farm subsidies." Nor has he ever said "Murtha's airport needs better restrooms - let's borrow a few million for that."

As for the parties, the Democrats had the majority in congress for the last two years of Bush. They had control of writing the budget.

Presidents only spend what Congress gives them. And Congress ultimately ratifies treaties and passes trade, tax, and other fiscal legislation. TARP is an excellent example - Obama arguably had more influence in that than Bush did, since Bush could realistically do nothing until the houses of Congress passed their respective bills.

Mind you, I'm not saying a Senator has a LOT of influence, just some (more if they sit on a committee). We're not a dictatorship.

All he can do is tell them his priorities and what he would like to see in it,

Well that's the most important part in politics!

Come on Republicans it's not because the Dems have written the budget of Bush's last two years that the economy has gone so bad!!

Come on Republicans it's not because the Dems have written the budget of Bush's last two years that the economy has gone so bad!!

No, it's not. But that's not the discussion we're having. We're discussing your statement that senators are powerless to affect the economy.

Hell, it's not even a partisan argument. :rolleyes:

No, it's not. But that's not the discussion we're having. We're discussing your statement that senators are powerless to affect the economy.

Hell, it's not even a partisan argument. :rolleyes:

Remember he's 8 hours ahead over there. He's probably half in the bag by now. :wallbash: