Need Some Basic Help Buying a car

plenzmd1

So, my 96 Explore is dying, but she owes me nothing at almost 225,000 miles on her.

Anyway, close to buying another explorer from a private owner, but just cannot locate anywhere on the net what to do if the current owner still has a lien on the car. My fear is that I will write a check to this guy, he will sign the title..I will get to DMV and they will say ...Sorry, Ford Credit will not release the lien as they have not been paid off yet.

I have looked at the VA DMV site, also a overall site called dmv.org, and cannot find the answer.They all talk about having current owner sign the title, but nothing about how making sure current lien is paid off.

I know this must be something simple, and I feel like a complete dolt :rolleyes: , but I am kinda used to that. Thx in advance for the help.

So, my 96 Explore is dying, but she owes me nothing at almost 225,000 miles on her.

Anyway, close to buying another explorer from a private owner, but just cannot locate anywhere on the net what to do if the current owner still has a lien on the car. My fear is that I will write a check to this guy, he will sign the title..I will get to DMV and they will say ...Sorry, Ford Credit will not release the lien as they have not been paid off yet.

I have looked at the VA DMV site, also a overall site called dmv.org, and cannot find the answer.They all talk about having current owner sign the title, but nothing about how making sure current lien is paid off.

I know this must be something simple, and I feel like a complete dolt :rolleyes: , but I am kinda used to that. Thx in advance for the help.

If you got 225K out of your '96, I suggest you go to a Ford dealership, and buy a new one. Prices are good.

If you got 225K out of your '96, I suggest you go to a Ford dealership, and buy a new one. Prices are good.

Prices even bettr on a 2006 :rolleyes: Bought the 96 with 30k on it, and this one has(2006)36K at about 40% of a similarily equiped 2009, even with all the incentives etc. I put mostly highway miles on the car, but I am putting lot on the last three years(about 23k per year), so think I am better off going used.

Look at the tiitle. liens are there

I get that, but do I amke the check out to the lien holder???do i make out two checks in the payoff is less than the sales price???

Look at the tiitle. liens are there.

If it says lien on the title it doesn't necessarily mean there is a lien on it still. I believe he'll get a new title when the lien is removed but not always. He should have a letter from the bank that the lien has been released.

If you don't find any of that then write him a check and immediately go to get it registered. If you can't then issue a stop payment on the check.

Prices even bettr on a 2006 :rolleyes: Bought the 96 with 30k on it, and this one has(2006)36K at about 40% of a similarily equiped 2009, even with all the incentives etc. I put mostly highway miles on the car, but I am putting lot on the last three years(about 23k per year), so think I am better off going used.

I think you deserve the pleasure of driving a brand new car. Tell your wife I said so.

:wallbash:

I am driving a 91 Explorer, just replaced the clutch(its a manual trans) and now i need a battery, has 186K on it.....crossing my fingers that it lasts as long as yours did

I am driving a 91 Explorer, just replaced the clutch(its a manual trans) and now i need a battery, has 186K on it.....crossing my fingers that it lasts as long as yours did

Pooj, I will prolly donate my car as it is still running, but my battery kinda old as well. If I donate, will see if they can take without a battery, and you can have mine. I have not had any issues with it, prolly about 4 years old.

I think you deserve the pleasure of driving a brand new car. Tell your wife I said so.

She has been bugging me for years to buy a new car, I am just not a car guy.Like to spend my money on going to watch losing sports teams!!!

At least in NYS, the lien holders are listed on the Title. He needs to sell you a car w/ Title lien free (to further protect yourself, you might have that worded in the contract). If there is still a lien on the car, he must fulfill (pay off) it b4 selling to you.

It probably takes sometime to get a new lien-free Title (it took weeks way back when I had to last be concerned w/ it), but you can get a letter from the institution holding the lien that the obligation has been fulfilled so you can get a new lien free title upon transfer.

Hope this helps.

i appreciate that but i am gonna buy one tomorrow, was gonna do it today, but i deemed today 'no spend' day. mine just died on me with no warning...tried to jump it but nada, it tried but it was deader than a doornail

Pooj, I will prolly donate my car as it is still running, but my battery kinda old as well. If I donate, will see if they can take without a battery, and you can have mine. I have not had any issues with it, prolly about 4 years old.

At least in NYS, the lien holders are listed on the Title. He needs to sell you a car w/ Title lien free (to further protect yourself, you might have that worded in the contract). If there is still a lien on the car, he must fulfill (pay off) it b4 selling to you.

It probably takes sometime to get a new lien-free Title (it took weeks way back when I had to last be concerned w/ it), but you can get a letter from the institution holding the lien that the obligation has been fulfilled so you can get a new lien free title upon transfer.

Hope this helps.

See, that makes sense to me but then it seems like it could take weeks to buy a car. i know I am missing something

She has been bugging me for years to buy a new car, I am just not a car guy.Like to spend my money on going to watch losing sports teams!!!

You are turning your back on the opportunity of a lifetime. A breathtaking opportunity. You could collapse tomorrow, you don't know.

You can get this new one. Treat it with love, and nurse it for 20 years. 20 years without embarrassment on the part of your dear wife having to ride and drive your junk car. Her, and your child not cursing you silently when you get planted in your grave.

Is this not all for the good?

3 words, at least from my perspective, car payment, car payment, car payment

You are turning your back on the opportunity of a lifetime. A breathtaking opportunity. You could collapse tomorrow, you don't know.

You can get this new one. Treat it with love, and nurse it for 20 years. 20 years without embarrassment on the part of your dear wife having to ride and drive your junk car. Her, and your child not cursing you silently when you get planted in your grave.

Cincy, you work for Ford??? Get Mr Obama to expand some of the incentives to us 'rich" :rolleyes: folks!!!

Cincy, you work for Ford??? Get Mr Obama to expand some of the incentives to us 'rich" :rolleyes: folks!!!

Wanna buy my beer-bumped '98 4-cyl S-10 short bed 2wd? Mobil 1 oil exclusively since 2000! :wallbash:

Only 55K miles! Auto, air, cruise! Authentic, noisy deep tread traditional snow tires!

See, that makes sense to me but then it seems like it could take weeks to buy a car. i know I am missing something

You could assume the debt and just pay him the difference. Of course, you'd want to confirm that amount with the finance co.