When would you Extend Trent Edwards

I think this is a very interesting topic for the Bills FO.

Obviously in a contract year, a player is doing everything in their power to drive up their value and the longer a team waits, the higher that price tag goes up. And obviously, if you wait too long, you could lose the player all together.

*edit* as it has been pointed out, it's not a contract year for him. so that's my bad. However, I still think this is going to be an interesting topic of conversation over the course of the next season.

However, with Trent playing so hot and cold, what when would you look for the Bills to extend him. After last year's start and how there was MVP talk about Trent, he's created a huge buffer for himself in regards to when we can really evaluate him. If he has a great first half, how comfortable would you feel locking him up long term knowing he could self-destruct again like last year. The problem for me is, if you wait much longer past Week 9, then his agent is probably going to tell him to hold out till the offseason. But if we jump the gun, we could potentially get really screwed over.

I'm not saying Trent it is or isn't our guy. I really have no idea which Trent is the real one. I'm just wondering how you all would handle it?

Personally, I would let the entire season run it's course and if he pans out, Franchise him and hope to work out a deal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a very interesting topic for the Bills FO.

Obviously in a contract year, a player is doing everything in their power to drive up their value and the longer a team waits, the higher that price tag goes up. And obviously, if you wait too long, you could lose the player all together.

However, with Trent playing so hot and cold, what when would you look for the Bills to extend him. After last year's start and how there was MVP talk about Trent, he's created a huge buffer for himself in regards to when we can really evaluate him. If he has a great first half, how comfortable would you feel locking him up long term knowing he could self-destruct again like last year. The problem for me is, if you wait much longer past Week 9, then his agent is probably going to tell him to hold out till the offseason. But if we jump the gun, we could potentially get really screwed over.

I'm not saying Trent it is or isn't our guy. I really have no idea which Trent is the real one. I'm just wondering how you all would handle it?

Personally, I would let the entire season run it's course and if he pans out, Franchise him and hope to work out a deal.

i agree

damn it

I don't know why I was so sure that he was. Must be the paint chips...

Even though he isn't in a contract year, Trent's contract will need to change if he has a good season. If he plays well, they'll need to offer him a better contract to keep him happy and rightly so. The Bills will almost definitely wait until the end of the season to do this regardless of how well he plays.

Even though he isn't in a contract year, Trent's contract will need to change if he has a good season. If he plays well, they'll need to offer him a better contract to keep him happy and rightly so. The Bills will almost definitely wait until the end of the season to do this regardless of how well he plays.

Let's give him a new contract should the bills go 1-0 or better, in 2009. Maybe sweeten Juarons contract again too, same time?

Let's give him a new contract should the bills go 1-0 or better, in 2009. Maybe sweeten Juarons contract again too, same time?

Wait until the Bills are 4-1 and then extend him. I mean, what could go wrong? :cry:

PTR

Honestly, if Edwards can hit around these numbers, they will extend him:

65% completion 3500 yards 20 TDs 10 Ints 7.5 YPA

That would signify a pretty big step in his development, and i don't think we could reasonably expect much more from a QB in his 2nd full year of starting.

That would signify a pretty big step in his development, and i don't think we could reasonably expect much more from a QB in his 2nd full year of starting.

Didn't JP hit around these numbers in 2006 ? I don't remember him getting an extension.

If he shows progression this year re-sign the guy for certain, but the amount of money depends on just how much progression. We don't want to re-sign the guy for too much unless he proves himself to be more than Kelly Holcomb reincarnate. Even if he doesn't pan out as a starter, he could be a serviceable backup. He has to show the ability to throw completions 20+ yards downfield consistently(has to show he can stretch the field), he has to show that he can read the defense and throw the ball to a spot where the WR will crossing into an opening, and he has to prove that he can carry the team if needed(he has to be able to drive the team down the field with the ball in his hands, against quality teams). I think he has the weapons to accomplish all of this, but he has to trust his teammates and himself.

I say if he is able to beat any AFC East teams this year, hook him up. He had a great year last year........... against crappy teams. I'm still unable to decide if #5 goes on the Wall of Fame in 20-30 years or not.

F the yards. if the guy can for once throw more TDs than INTs they will lock him up. hopefully that happens. he'll have his shot the first few games, cause we dont have any beast mode come end zone time...

One problem, Trent isn't in a contract year.

:doh:

Wait until the Bills are 4-1 and then extend him. I mean, what could go wrong? ;)

PTR

;)

Not Really? Those numbers are pretty damn close. So you are saying the numbers you quoted are the absolute MINIMUM Trent would need.

They aren't really close. The difference is about 8 QB rating points, and would you say the original numbers are pretty damn close to:

67.5% completion 4000 yards 21 tds 6 INTs 8.0 YPA?

They are the same distance apart. JP's numbers are the bottom end of the spectrum.

They aren't really close. The difference is about 8 QB rating points, and would you say the original numbers are pretty damn close to:

67.5% completion 4000 yards 21 tds 6 INTs 8.0 YPA?

They are the same distance apart. JP's numbers are the bottom end of the spectrum.

As I said then, the numbers you put up are the minimum you would expect from Trent.

As I said then, the numbers you put up are the minimum you would expect from Trent.

Pretty much. Anything less would be terrible. 3500 yards is 220 a game.... while 3051 is 191. If we aren't throwing close to 220 yards a game with our loaded receiving corps... Well, then something is wrong.