(OT) Nine years in the clink for sending Spam?

stevestojan

1.  Just because someone tells you that something is against the law doesn't make it wrong.  Do you always obey the speed limit?

2.  If a guy goes out and kills someone high on drugs I lay the blame solely on the person that did the killing.  The same thing goes for bartenders.  If someone leaves a bar and goes and kills someone on the road, that's their fault, not the bartenders.

Those are my views.

103409[/snapback]

I agree on point 2.

On point 1 - if you break the law it is always wrong. The law is there for a reason. I don't always go at the speed limit - but then u are into the realm of point 2. I decide to break the law and speed then i have to bear the consequences because i have committed a criminal act.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kota, but I did read the article, and I also did a little research afterwards. They DID go to jail for sending the e-mails, NOT for selling the product.

The "product" they were selling was information. Basically, FedEx guarentees overnight delivery. If its not there overnight, you get a full refund. Well, 7% of FedEx overnight packages do not arrive on time. So, you are entitled to a rfund. What they were selling for $39.95 was information that told people they could basically contact large companies who do a ton of FedExing and offer to split the refund with them if the company let this person do all the work.

Basically, ABC company sends 1000 fedexs overnights a day. Say, $20 a pop. 7% of them dont make it on time. ABC is due for a $1400 refund. John Smith buys this "product" from the people in the article, and with their advice, calls ABC and says "I will do all the work getting your refunds if you split it with me". This doesnt work because ABC could just have some $5.15 an hour employee make the calls to FedEx.

So, it was not "technically" a scam. But it still wasnt making anyone any money.

And Kota, you said they were sentenced for fraud. Actually, and to quote the article that I read: Jurors recommended that Jeremy Jaynes be sentenced to nine years in prison and fined Jessica DeGroot $7,500 after convicting them of three counts each of sending e-mails with fraudulent and untraceable routing information.

I think he takes the stance that drug dealers are simply providing something that people want anyway.

Pedophiles, murderers, rapists, animal abusers, people who neglet children, etc, etc, are the real criminals.

103380[/snapback]

So hitmen aren't real criminals? They're simply providing something that people want...

CW

Wow, now we are going to crowd our jails with drug dealer AND Spammers!!!!

Why don't we start arresting real criminals?

103368[/snapback]

They're putting a drain on the American economy by forcing employees to spend production time on trashing their illegal mail. This is about keeping America and American businesses' productive. This practice should be procecuted to the fullest extent.

They're putting a drain on the American economy by forcing employees to spend production time on trashing their illegal mail. This is about keeping America and American businesses' productive. This practice should be procecuted to the fullest extent.

103469[/snapback]

I've heard it all now.

SDS, you should be getting a knock on your door from the FBI. Your site is killing American workers production.

:D

Hitmen=criminals

That doesn't even compare.

It's murder for hire, the person doing the hiring is also a murderer.

103487[/snapback]

Ok.... But drug dealers sell drugs to people and those drugs kill them... Yet they're not criminals?

And before you say, "The people choose to do the drugs," what about the children that the people who buy the drugs have?

I don't see how drugdealer != criminal in your mind...

CW

I've heard it all now.

SDS, you should be getting a knock on your door from the FBI.  Your site is killing American workers production.

:D

103488[/snapback]

Huge difference -- people make the choice to visit the site. Spam comes in and forces lost productivity hours that are not chosen, but instead pushed upon us.

And from an IT point of view, all the extra spam requies lots of time and money -- more disk, which trickles down to backups, mail filters, more powerful servers to handle the influx of mail, etc, etc. Not that I've spent any of my time having to handle those headaches :blink:

CW

Ok....  But drug dealers sell drugs to people and those drugs kill them...  Yet they're not criminals?

And before you say, "The people choose to do the drugs," what about the children that the people who buy the drugs have?

I don't see how drugdealer != criminal in your mind...

CW

103491[/snapback]

Unfortunately in our society there are a lot of people that don't deserve to be parents. Many children are neglected, beaten, etc etc etc, by their parents. A parent that uses drugs falls into this category. If they die from using drugs they do hurt their children, but that is more of a moral issue then anything else.

A drug dealer is just providing something that someone has asked for. It's not their job to be the moral police for America (god help us if they were).

It's just like a gun dealer, it's not their job to police you once you leave their shop. If you go blow your brains out in front of your kid, that's not their problem.

I'm not saying it's a responsible way to make a living, but it's not criminal in my eyes.

Huge difference -- people make the choice to visit the site.  Spam comes in and forces lost productivity hours that are not chosen, but instead pushed upon us.

And from an IT point of view, all the extra spam requies lots of time and money -- more disk, which trickles down to backups, mail filters, more powerful servers to handle the influx of mail, etc, etc.  Not that I've spent any of my time having to handle those headaches :D

CW

103494[/snapback]

Thank you, you have just made my whole point for me (you didn't even do it on purpose).

You say people choose to come here? True, SDS is providing them something they want. They are hurting their employers by yapping here instead of working.

Spammers are forcing the loss of production time. In that sense, I would agree that is criminal. The force of harm in my eyes is criminal. However, a drug dealer hardly has to force anything on anyone.

Unfortunately in our society there are a lot of people that don't deserve to be parents.  Many children are neglected, beaten, etc etc etc, by their parents.  A parent that uses drugs falls into this category.  If they die from using drugs they do hurt their children, but that is more of a moral issue then anything else.

A drug dealer is just providing something that someone has asked for.  It's not their job to be the moral police for America (god help us if they were).

It's just like a gun dealer, it's not their job to police you once you leave their shop.  If you go blow your brains out in front of your kid, that's not their problem.

I'm not saying it's a responsible way to make a living, but it's not criminal in my eyes.

103501[/snapback]

Wow....... :D:blink::huh:

:w00t:

Thank you, you have just made my whole point for me (you didn't even do it on purpose).

You say people choose to come here?  True, SDS is providing them something they want.  They are hurting their employers by yapping here instead of working.

Spammers are forcing the loss of production time.  In that sense, I would agree that is criminal.  The force of harm in my eyes is criminal.  However, a drug dealer hardly has to force anything on anyone.

103508[/snapback]

And again, I'll say...

Wow....... :D:blink::huh:

:w00t: