Could a permanent solution at LG

bills_fan

The following is from today's D & C, anyone think this could work full-time??? I don't think for this season but maybe for next year?? Bannan is a big guy, athletic and he looked good last week. Maybe the true LG solution is already here. I seem to recall one of the KC guards was originally a defensive player (Shields? maybe??)

LT - Free Agent/Draft Pick

LG - Bannan

C - Tucker/Teague

RG - Villarial

RT - MW

That is if MW continues to show progress like he did against Zona. This week will be a huge test for the right side of the OL, and the left side for that matter. What do you guys think?

In recent weeks, Bannan started taking practice repetitions at offensive guard because bodies were short due to injuries. The more line coach Jim McNally watched Bannan move, the more he envisioned him knocking down defenders like bowling pins in a real game.

"Coach McNally's been eyeing me for the last couple of weeks, asking me to help out and giving me the confidence to believe I could come in and do a good job in a game," Bannan said. "I have to credit him. He just kind of spotted me."

Other than one false start penalty that can be attributed to nerves, Bannan played error free. What's the big difference between offensive line and defensive line?

"Offensive line is a controlled rage," he said.

With his size, speed, great strength and agility, Bannan is a candidate for a permanent reassignment given the state of Buffalo's line. It's not something he's opposed to.

"If coach McNally and coach Mularkey want me to do another position, I'll do it. But it's really up to them where they want to take me," he said. "Who knows? It's a crazy game. Bottom line is I just want to play and help the team."

It's definitely "out of the box" but in view of the fact that Bannan is already getting something of a tryout there, I wouldn't rule it out. I don't see him full time this year, but If the Bills are thinking in that direction, Bannan will get the full treatment during the offseason to get him ready for next year. He will never be a starter at DT, and backup DTs are easier to find than starting guards.

Yeah his name is Mike Williams

I know that, but what if MW continues to play better and better at RT? Maybe Bannan could be the guy at LG. Then we'd have more cash to spend on a FA LT and on extending Clements and resigning Phat Pat.

I like the idea that Bannan would play LG - lets face it - half of the game is knowing the opponent, and having played DT he knows what the score is...

NFL D packages are no more or less complex than O packages so the playbook transition shouldn't be too much. Hope McNally can pull something out of the bag with this....