Welfare on Wheels

Wait a minute, I'm !@#$ing confused here. They're not working, what the !@#$ do they need a car for?

Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify. Once they have the wheels, they must send DTA their pay stubs to prove they are employed.

To get the cars, they must be unable to reach work by public transportation and have a clean driving record. The program is only available to families on welfare with children.

I'm torn on this one. The cars are distributed by charity. The state isn't buying them. I think that if they stop working they should keep the car for two weeks after losing their job to use it to find another job.

Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year.

400,000 is pp money for the state. Once a program recipient get a job they should pay the state at least something monthly for the car.

Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify. Once they have the wheels, they must send DTA their pay stubs to prove they are employed.

To get the cars, they must be unable to reach work by public transportation and have a clean driving record. The program is only available to families on welfare with children.

I'm torn on this one. The cars are distributed by charity. The state isn't buying them. I think that if they stop working they should keep the car for two weeks after losing their job to use it to find another job.

Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year.

400,000 is pp money for the state. Once a program recipient get a job they should pay the state at least something monthly for the car.

Whenever I get a car I also have to prove I have a job. It's called a credit application. Teach a man to fish........

Just to play devil's advocate, if the state is breaking even then why care about this?

Because giving people shiit never solves anything. I'm more of the mind set that when someone has worked hard they appreciate the things they have earned more.

And he builds credit without a job, how? :P

Losing your job doesn't hurt your credit. You had good credit prior to losing your job when you get a new one you still have good credit assuming you didn't blow your credit while not working. Actually most people probably build their credit while out of work due to using it more.

What?

Maybe because you're such an old bastard you don't remember trying to get your first credit card or buying something on credit for the first time. But once you did you probably started getting credit solicitations from every card and department store in town.

When we forclosed on our house many years ago we were told we built our credit back up so fast because we used our cards and paid our bills on time.

Losing your job doesn't hurt your credit. You had good credit prior to losing your job when you get a new one you still have good credit assuming you didn't blow your credit while not working. Actually most people probably build their credit while out of work due to using it more.

Or wreck it by not paying the unsecured bills last... :P:w00t:

The program, which started in 2006, distributes cars donated by non-profit charities such as Good News Garage, a Lutheran charity, which also does the repair work on the car and bills the state.

Screw the Lutherans... You don't want them working on your car! :w00t::unsure:

Oh great...those dirtbag Christians again. :P

Maybe because you're such an old bastard you don't remember trying to get your first credit card or buying something on credit for the first time. But once you did you probably started getting credit solicitations from every card and department store in town.

When we forclosed on our house many years ago we were told we built our credit back up so fast because we used our cards and paid our bills on time.

You said "Actually most people probably build their credit while out of work due to using it more."

Please be clear for me. How does being unemployed build your credit? Seriously? Going into more debt while you're unemployed is a way of building your credit score? Thats freakin funny. In my over 30 years of scoring credit I've never heard of this.

Tell me young man where I'm wrong. :P

Because giving people shiit never solves anything. I'm more of the mind set that when someone has worked hard they appreciate the things they have earned more.

What about families with children? Should they not be given aid? Should a child go hungry and be told "if only your parents weren't so lazy."?

You said "Actually most people probably build their credit while out of work due to using it more."

Please be clear for me. How does being unemployed build your credit? Seriously? Going into more debt while you're unemployed is a way of building your credit score? Thats freakin funny. In my over 30 years of scoring credit I've never heard of this.

Tell me young man where I'm wrong. :P

Ok I was being factious about the the building credit while out of work. But what I did say was how is being out of work going to hurt your credit? As long as you continue to pay your bills.