Montgomery County, MD as a microcosm of the future?

Rather than WNY, I look to California and elsewhere for a preview of where this country is headed. A story from last year - in the time since, the politicians have shown no taste for bucking the union despite media attention.

- Montgomery Country's unions have veto power over the officials reviewing police disability applications.

- Coincidentally, 90% of the applications get approved. There is no distinction made between full- and partial-, and no time limit on applying. Officers routinely put in for 10 year old 'injuries' when they are about to move on or are facing legal investigations.

- Consequently, 62% of the police who have left in the past four years receive full disability. They get 2/3 of their salary tax free for life. Several have moved on to take the same job elsewhere.

- By comparison, the disability figure ranges between 3 and 27% in neighboring counties.

The one flush-with-cash county is broke, but if you are a unionized government worker you'll be fine. To me, *that* is the microcosm of the future.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8090702314.html

The one flush-with-cash county is broke, but if you are a unionized government worker you'll be fine. To me, *that* is the microcosm of the future.

Shhh.....we don't talk about the tens billions in graft in this country if someone stamped a 'municipal labor union' label on it. :P

Biggest scam in the history of the country.