Channel 4's Morning News broadcast. I have a question.

Samus

Is it me whenever a reporter goes over to the Newsdesk and there's some no-name guy/woman talking about the stories their working on, it reminds me of those paparazzi lowlives from that rag gossip show, TMZ? It's like their in grade school ratting on someone. LOL! Just an observation. What do you think?

Is it me whenever a reporter goes over to the Newsdesk and there's some no-name guy/woman talking about the stories their working on, it reminds me of those paparazzi lowlives from that rag gossip show, TMZ? It's like their in grade school ratting on someone. LOL! Just an observation. What do you think?

I think you need to repeat third grade and learn the difference between "their", "there", and "they're".

I think you need to repeat third grade and learn the difference between "their", "there", and "they're".

That's a very good point, Tom, but from now on when you use a quotation at the end of a sentence, please put the period before the quotation mark, not after it. Same goes for the commas too. Thank you.

That's a very good point, Tom, but from now on when you use a quotation at the end of a sentence, please put the period before the quotation mark, not after it. Same goes for the commas too. Thank you.

Given that I was delinating and puncuating a list, and not providing an actual quotation, my usage is actually acceptible in this case.

Given that I was delinating and puncuating a list, and not providing an actual quotation, my usage is actually acceptible in this case.

Not according to the AP Stylebook. (Then again, they also prefer "RBIs" over "RBI" for runs batted in, so they're not infallible.) And knowing you, the misspellings were entirely intentional, so I'm ignoring them.

I actually think the way you punctuated the sentence is preferable, at least to me. Some of the style rules are nonsensical, IMO, and should be ignored by those not bound to them by some professional code.

Not according to the AP Stylebook. (Then again, they also prefer "RBIs" over "RBI" for runs batted in, so they're not infallible.) And knowing you, the misspellings were entirely intentional, so I'm ignoring them.

AP's wrong. I'm write.

As chance would have it, I have a copy of my grammar text. The AP Stylebook agrees with it.

The book title is Century Handbook of Writing, 4th Edition, by Garland Greever and Easley S. Jones, 1933, D. Appleton - Century Corp., New York. Originally published in 1918 by The Century Co.

No ISBN... :lol:

I spotted the old Nemesis at a public library book sale several years ago, and purchased it for a dime or so.

As chance would have it, I have a copy of my grammar text. The AP Stylebook agrees with it.

The book title is Century Handbook of Writing, 4th Edition, by Garland Greever and Easley S. Jones, 1933, D. Appleton- Century Corp., New York. Originally published in 1918 by The Century Co.

No ISBN... :thumbsup:

I spotted the old Nemesis at a public library book sale several years ago, and purchased it for a dime or so.

Hmph. Figured you'd just saved it from when you took that class in 1936. :lol:

Messrs. Strunk and White also agree: "Typographical usage dictates that the comma be inside the marks, though logically it often seems not to belong there."

Now you know which two books have taken up permanent residence on my desk, shoving aside the collection of Bills media guides. (Actually, three books, including the separate AP punctuation guide. Sigh ...)

I'd still rather discuss arcane style rules than parse the original post, though. <_<

Messrs. Strunk and White also agree: "Typographical usage dictates that the comma be inside the marks, though logically it often seems not to belong there."

Now you know which two books have taken up permanent residence on my desk, shoving aside the collection of Bills media guides. (Actually, three books, including the separate AP punctuation guide. Sigh ...)

May I recommend a fourth?

The Practical Cogitator, 3rd Ed., selected and edited by Charles P. Curtis, Jr. and Ferris Greenslet, 1962, Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston. ISBN 0-395-34635-5.

It's out of print. If you spot a copy, thumb through it. You'll buy it.

EDIT: Sorry in advance. If I read everything recommended to me, I would have been committed years ago. :lol:

Hmph. Figured you'd just saved it from when you took that class in 1936. :lol:

I'd still rather discuss arcane style rules than parse the original post, though. :thumbsup:

The practice (and now rule) of always putting periods (but not necessarily question marks) inside of the closing quotation mark is an American English rule. The Brits use logic, and put the period "where it belongs", sometimes inside, and other times outside the quotation mark.

The American practice of putting periods outside of quotes is attributed to giving hand typesetters a strict rule that they didn't have to think about. Logic be damned, apparently. Even though type is no longer hand set, the practice remains in the good old USA.

Well, screw that. It's time to right a wrong, and overturn a bad rule by simply ignoring it until becomes accepted, again, in the USA. Of course, for those in professions where it is codified, I understand the reticence to let logic be their guide. Fortunately, most of us don't have to abide by that, and can color "outside the lines", if that's what makes the most sense.

The practice (and now rule) of always putting periods (but not necessarily question marks) inside of the closing quotation mark is an American English rule. The Brits use logic, and put the period "where it belongs", sometimes inside, and other times outside the quotation mark.

The American practice of putting periods outside of quotes is attributed to giving hand typesetters a strict rule that they didn't have to think about. Logic be damned, apparently. Even though type is no longer hand set, the practice remains in the good old USA.

Well, screw that. It's time to right a wrong, and overturn a bad rule by simply ignoring it until becomes accepted, again, in the USA. Of course, for those in professions where it is codified, I understand the reticence to let logic be their guide. Fortunately, most of us don't have to abide by that, and can color "outside the lines", if that's what makes the most sense.

You are a pluperfect ass.

When you taught on Monteagle Ridge, how many profs swore by (instead of at) Strunk and White? As you sow, so shall you reap, and all that. To be honest, remembering to affix those commas/periods inside the quotes was one of the toughest things to learn when I began writing to AP style.

And while I'm on that subject, I'm not sure anyone would notice if I stopped. Recent hed added (not by me, thank you) to one of my stories: "Gators's Tune Up For District's."

:lol:

When you taught on Monteagle Ridge, how many profs swore by (instead of at) Strunk and White? As you sow, so shall you reap, and all that. To be honest, remembering to affix those commas/periods inside the quotes was one of the toughest things to learn when I began writing to AP style.

And while I'm on that subject, I'm not sure anyone would notice if I stopped. Recent hed added (not by me, thank you) to one of my stories: "Gators's Tune Up For District's."

:lol:

Gators's? Sweet.

I taught at UB and Canisius. I just hung around, and snuck* into concerts and basketball games at Niagara, as it was close to my house.

BTW, I love Strunk and White, and use it for my professional correspondence, when needed. But, it was written a long time ago, and while it continues to be revised, it's a little dated. (My copy is quite old, I have yet to see a recent edition, so it may have changed quite a bit. But I doubt it.)

* "sneaked" is a horrible word.

Gators's? Sweet.

I taught at UB and Canisius. I just hung around, and snuck* into concerts and basketball games at Niagara, as it was close to my house.

BTW, I love Strunk and White, and use it for my professional correspondence, when needed. But, it was written a long time ago, and while it continues to be revised, it's a little dated. (My copy is quite old, I have yet to see a recent edition, so it may have changed quite a bit. But I doubt it.)

* "sneaked" is a horrible word.

When I opened that copy of the paper -- which included a second hedbust on the same page -- I didn't know whether to cry or beat my head against the desk, so I settled for laughing instead. By the time it's in print it's already too late, so what else can you do other than politely suggesting the correct usage for future reference?

My bad. For some reason, I thought it was NU, not CC. You need to hit Olean at some point to complete the Big 4 Challenge.

Regarding S+W, my copy has a 2000 copyright and a foreword by White's stepson, some guy named Roger Angell. (Think I've heard of him.) But using Churchill's famous quote as my guiding light, I'll still dangle my prepositions wherever I darn well please, thank you.