Graham Harrell

If the Bills are seriously considering bringing back the no huddle and opening up the offense, does it make sense to invite Graham Harrell to camp to contend for the #2/3 spot. Although his arm strength is suspect, he knows how to read defenses and hit 70% of his passes his junior and senior year. He is accustomed to running a wide open, no-huddle offense and has excellent pocket presence (sacked once for every 46 dropbacks) despite usually having 5 in route and throwing the ball on 75% of the downs. Under a more traditional offense, I don't think he would be a good fit, however, with the weapons we have and offense we are expecting to run, I think he would be worth at least a look. Matt Baker has spent enough seasons as the #4 practice squad guy....

He left camp without a contract. This kid had a hell of a collegiate career. I hope the Bills FO contacts him.

You are correct. I just read this article this morning. I think he'd be an interesting guy to have in. I would have some reservations if the concerns about his arm strength are factual.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,161298

He was down right horrible at the Senior Bowl. He can't throw a 10 yard out.

Plus, the kid ran the Texas Tech spread gimmick offense. It's like taking a Hawaii QB, you just don't do it. Basically, if a college QB didn't run some type of pro style offense don't bother. Or be willing to dedicate 2 years to him learning how to take snaps from under center.

Weak arm, gimmick college offense = no NFL career.

You are correct. I just read this article this morning. I think he'd be an interesting guy to have in. I would have some reservations if the concerns about his arm strength are factual.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,161298

Very interesting guy to bring in for a look...

"Threw for more touchdown passes than anyone in major-college history...The Red Raiders all-time leading passer and is second on the NCAA's all-time passing yardage list...Also holds the NCAA record for career 300-yard games (32) and 400-yard games (20)...The only player in NCAA history to pass for 5,000 or more yards in two seasons...Finished 4th in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 2008...Won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as a senior..."

link

Most career passing yards in NCAA history:

Timmy Chang, Hawaii: (2000-2004) 17,072 yards

Graham Harrell, Texas Tech: (2005-2008) 15,793

Ty Detmer, BYU: (1988-91) 15,031

Colt Brennan, Hawaii: (2005-07) 14,193

Philip Rivers, North Carolina State: (2000-03) 13,484

Kevin Kolb, Houston: (2003-06) 12,964

Tim Rattay, Louisiana Tech: (1997-99) 12,746

Luke McCown, Louisiana Tech: (2000-03) 12,666

Chris Redman, Louisville: (1996-99) 12,541

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: (1999-02) 12,429

Byron Leftwich, Marshall: (1998-02) 11,903

What, if anything does this mean?

I was screaming for the Bills to draft him in round 7. Then, if Dick, Turk, and Trent don't pan out, we can bring in...

Mike Leach

There are plenty of good/excellent college coaches who can't make it in the NFL (ex. Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Butch Davis). Why this is so can be debated, some coaches just do better at the collegiate level because they are "the man" with total authority/recruiting over their program, and can appeal to the emotions of their players since it isn't all just about a fat paycheck.

Mike Leach strikes me as a college coach who couldn't do it in the NFL. He's an emotional guy, and that's great in the college game. And given his unprofessional sniping and whining about the drafting of Crabtree and Harrell, I believe that even moreso. Certainly no one will know for sure until he gets an opportunity in the NFL, but personnally at this point I would cringe if Buffalo hired him to replace Jauron after this season. I think he would be something of a bad joke at this level.

To me:

It means gimmick offenses work in college....

The QB's who run these gimmick offenses, generally fail in the NFL.

Rivers ran a legit offense and stayed 4 years, by far the most impressive college QB on that list!

There are plenty of good/excellent college coaches who can't make it in the NFL (ex. Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Butch Davis). Why this is so can be debated, some coaches just do better at the collegiate level because they are "the man" with total authority/recruiting over their program, and can appeal to the emotions of their players since it isn't all just about a fat paycheck.

Mike Leach strikes me as a college coach who couldn't do it in the NFL. He's an emotional guy, and that's great in the college game. And given his unprofessional sniping and whining about the drafting of Crabtree and Harrell, I believe that even moreso. Certainly no one will know for sure until he gets an opportunity in the NFL, but personnally at this point I would cringe if Buffalo hired him to replace Jauron after this season. I think he would be something of a bad joke at this level.

Personally, if there is any coach at the collegiate level that COULD make it as an NFL coach is Mike Leach. He may not be a head coach, but definitely an offensive coordinator. Leach's philosophy is so different than any other coach. He actually wants his QB's to call the plays at the lines as they have the best view of what the defense is showing, thus exploiting the weaknesses. If you think about it, where would you want the plays called - on the sidelines prior to seeing the defense or from the guy that actually has the best look of the field and what the defense is showing. As long as the QB is playing within a set of parameters, this is a way better system. The only problem is how they deal with the road noise, but Texas Tech has seemingly solved that issue.

Plus, the kid ran the Texas Tech spread gimmick offense. It's like taking a Hawaii QB, you just don't do it. Basically, if a college QB didn't run some type of pro style offense don't bother. Or be willing to dedicate 2 years to him learning how to take snaps from under center.

Weak arm, gimmick college offense = no NFL career.

Not always.

Colt Brennan (Ex-Hawaii) looked pretty good during preseason games for the Skins last year. I think Harrell has a lot of upside and is the kind of QB I'd put on the practice squad. And don't believe what you hear, he wasn't that bad at the Senior Bowl.

Personally, if there is any coach at the collegiate level that COULD make it as an NFL coach is Mike Leach. He may not be a head coach, but definitely an offensive coordinator. Leach's philosophy is so different than any other coach. He actually wants his QB's to call the plays at the lines as they have the best view of what the defense is showing, thus exploiting the weaknesses. If you think about it, where would you want the plays called - on the sidelines prior to seeing the defense or from the guy that actually has the best look of the field and what the defense is showing. As long as the QB is playing within a set of parameters, this is a way better system. The only problem is how they deal with the road noise, but Texas Tech has seemingly solved that issue.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, my original underlying assertion is that Leach's ability to coach the game of football isn't as important as his ability to adjust to the power structure of the NFL front office and the fact that the players are not a bunch of kids busting their butts for their school and the opportunity of the NFL. They've made it and they often earn more than the head coach, so relating to them is very different than in college. And since Leach gets floated as Jauron's replacement I am responding under that assumption, though I do respect your opinion also and agree he could probably be a pretty good offensive coordinator.

As far as where I would want the plays called, that would depend on the QB. Some QB's have the ability to call their own game, some do not. Certainly the QB can pick up things on the field the offensive staff can't see/experience, but the offensive staff can see the entire field from the press box and pick up things the QB has difficulty seeing.

Google is your homepage?

That guys with gay first names throw for a lot of yards in college?