Miss California and Mel Gibson

I posted the following on my Facebook page. Since I'm a Christian and have a lot of Christian friends who have hailed these two people, I wanted to pose the following food for thought:

The fallout from the Miss California fiasco and Mel Gibson's impending divorce made me think about whose opinions should be granted merit.

In 2004, Mel Gibson released "The Passion of the Christ". This movie was seen by millions of Christians, from fundamentalists to staunch Catholics who refuse to recite the Mass in any language but Latin. I never saw "The Passion" and was very wary of Gibson's work. Mel Gibson was hailed as a hero by many Christians, yet if one is familiar with his earlier film work (much of which is very violent in nature), one can see such support as perplexing.

In the five years since, Mr. Gibson has had a DUI (in which he used a crude epithet to address a female police officer) and is now in the process of divorcing his wife of 29 years. This hardly seems of Christian or Christ-like behavior. Mr. Gibson seems in need of good counsel more than anything else at this point.

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, has also been hailed as a hero because of her response to a question from a gay activist on same-sex marriage at a beauty pageant. It seems little more than a tempest in a teapot to me. First of all, beauty pageants in our society are generally useless; the idea that they are "scholarship competitions" for young women notwithstanding. Society more and more glorifies the beautiful, which all of us know. The purpose of such shows is for visual cheesecake, and nothing more.

Then it was revealed that Miss Prejean has been dating Michael Phelps (the one hundred million dollar bongman) and has not only received breast implants, but has posed for topless photographs, wearing nothing but pink panties, which call into question her moral stances.

I have seen Mr. Gibson and Miss Prejean hailed for their stands. I question their credentials and their behavior. Always be careful who you hail, for they can fall from their pedestal quite easily.

I posted the following on my Facebook page. Since I'm a Christian and have a lot of Christian friends who have hailed these two people, I wanted to pose the following food for thought:

The fallout from the Miss California fiasco and Mel Gibson's impending divorce made me think about whose opinions should be granted merit.

In 2004, Mel Gibson released "The Passion of the Christ". This movie was seen by millions of Christians, from fundamentalists to staunch Catholics who refuse to recite the Mass in any language but Latin. I never saw "The Passion" and was very wary of Gibson's work. Mel Gibson was hailed as a hero by many Christians, yet if one is familiar with his earlier film work (much of which is very violent in nature), one can see such support as perplexing.

In the five years since, Mr. Gibson has had a DUI (in which he used a crude epithet to address a female police officer) and is now in the process of divorcing his wife of 29 years. This hardly seems of Christian or Christ-like behavior. Mr. Gibson seems in need of good counsel more than anything else at this point.

Miss California, Carrie Prejean, has also been hailed as a hero because of her response to a question from a gay activist on same-sex marriage at a beauty pageant. It seems little more than a tempest in a teapot to me. First of all, beauty pageants in our society are generally useless; the idea that they are "scholarship competitions" for young women notwithstanding. Society more and more glorifies the beautiful, which all of us know. The purpose of such shows is for visual cheesecake, and nothing more.

Then it was revealed that Miss Prejean has been dating Michael Phelps (the one hundred million dollar bongman) and has not only received breast implants, but has posed for topless photographs, wearing nothing but pink panties, which call into question her moral stances.

I have seen Mr. Gibson and Miss Prejean hailed for their stands. I question their credentials and their behavior. Always be careful who you hail, for they can fall from their pedestal quite easily.

Yes, they are both human. That's what you get when you make movie stars and beauty pageant contestants your idols.

Incidentally, Mel Gibson got a DUI which is poor judgment and a divorce, just like 50% of married Americans.

The girl dated an olympian who smoked pot but treats his body more as a temple than you could ever dream of and went after easy money.

Big deal. Everybody has flaws. Look inward before spouting all this holier-than-thou stuff.

Yes, they are both human. That's what you get when you make movie stars and beauty pageant contestants your idols.

Yep. That was my point.

The girl dated an olympian who smoked pot but treats his body more as a temple than you could ever dream of and went after easy money.

I can't really say that I blame her...or him for taking the cash. And you're right about treating the body well. I bet Michael Phelps didn't eat a twinkie and drink Coca-Cola last night, like I did.

Big deal. Everybody has flaws. Look inward before spouting all this holier-than-thou stuff.

Again, my point exactly. :rolleyes::lol:

I don't do this. I'm asking people I know not to.

Yep. That was my point.

I can't really say that I blame her...or him for taking the cash. And you're right about treating the body well. I bet Michael Phelps didn't eat a twinkie and drink Coca-Cola last night, like I did.

Again, my point exactly. :rolleyes::lol:

I don't do this. I'm asking people I know not to.

Glad you took that as intended.

Now THAT part wasn't very nice, highlighting one of the ugly sides of organized belief-based organizations.

So in addition to causing Mel to drive drunk, Jews are ugly?