computer troubles

ok so my keyboard is pretty f*cked up right now and im wondering if anybody has some advice

the problem is that i cant type any of the lower characters when there are two options

for example no periods commas backslashes apostrophes or semicolons

only these <>?:"

additionally i cant type any numbers< only the symbols above them !@#$%^&*()

ive talked to all my computer science friends and they all suggest that my laptop is set to stickey keys< but this definitely isnt the case and im starting to think its some sort of virus

when i restart my computer< the problem is fixed for like five minutes then it reverts back to the problems

any advice? its finals time here at cornell and i do NOT need this sort of problem right now

thank you

ok so my keyboard is pretty f*cked up right now and im wondering if anybody has some advice

the problem is that i cant type any of the lower characters when there are two options

ive talked to all my computer science friends and they all suggest that my laptop is set to stickey keys< but this definitely isnt the case and im starting to think its some sort of virus

when i restart my computer< the problem is fixed for like five minutes then it reverts back to the problems

any advice? its finals time here at cornell and i do NOT need this sort of problem right now

thank you

Maybe your friends meant sticky keys in the literal sense. Have you recently discovered any new parts of your body? What have you been viewing on your computer?

It sounds like the "caps lock" key is the stickiest one. Try cleaning it.

Maybe your friends meant sticky keys in the literal sense. Have you recently discovered any new parts of your body? What have you been viewing on your computer?

It sounds like the "caps lock" key is the stickiest one. Try cleaning it.

that's a pretty shifty answer.

thank you

Are your palms hairy?

How's your vision?

thank you

I always vote for start with the easiest thing first - just for kicks have you tried another keyboard? If it is a sticky key this should be a sure indicator of it. Even if it is a laptop you should be able to test it by hooking up an external keyboard (depending on your setup you may have to close the case and hook it up to an external monitor also) - to disengage your native keyboard.

I always vote for start with the easiest thing first - just for kicks have you tried another keyboard? If it is a sticky key this should be a sure indicator of it. Even if it is a laptop you should be able to test it by hooking up an external keyboard (depending on your setup you may have to close the case and hook it up to an external monitor also) - to disengage your native keyboard.

yeah ive tried plugging in an auxiliary keyboard and the problem persists which means its probably something with the laptop itself

the worst part is that this seemingly banal problem has rendered me incapable of sending emails writing papers etc

im considering just performing a backup restore and just wiping the slate clean on the bastard

yeah ive tried plugging in an auxiliary keyboard and the problem persists which means its probably something with the laptop itself

the worst part is that this seemingly banal problem has rendered me incapable of sending emails writing papers etc

im considering just performing a backup restore and just wiping the slate clean on the bastard

Is the Caps key problem mechanical, electrical, or congenital?

It might be a bit tedious, but you can enter each "lower character" by entering it's ASCII code. For instance, the code for a period is 46. Hold down your <ALT> key & hit 4 then 6 on your keypad (do you have access to a keypad?), then release the <ALT> key. Voila, you should now have a "."

The nuclear bomb approach - will certainly work you just risk losing files, data and time. If you are good about backing up your HD this is likely to be the best solution. I had to learn the hard way to be more attentive to backing up files. I once had an Acer tablet that went through two hard drives before I gave it to one of the techies here at the office for parts. When I lost the first drive it was exceptionally painful as essentially nothing was backed up.

On my work laptop I actually now keep everything stored on the network. A pain when I have to work remotely (have to VPN in to get at my files) but much less risk as our network drives are very regularly and automatically backed up. I am also far less concerned about having sensitive data exposed to a criminally minded individual who might steal my computer (my work requires that I have access to credit files, social security numbers etc. - all handy if you are of the mind to steal someone's identity). As another level of protection against this the tech team activated encryption software for my HD. I hate it, as it now adds another step at login and consumes capacity on an already slow machine.

Good luck.