Looks Like the Bills Found Themselves a Diamond in the Rough

K-9

The biggest problem I have with the Jairus Bird pick is what happened at the next pick.

Not the selection of Everette Brown, but that San Francisco was able to get Carolina's first round pick in the 2010 draft (for the second round pick and a fourth-rounder (111th overall)). A Carolina team which is quarterbacked by Jake Delhomme.

Jairus is a slower version of Malcolm Jenkins, and he is being converted to free safety. He has tremendous ball skills, is tough, but he ran so poorly leading up to the draft which puts into question whether he warrants the 42nd overall pick. Given that free safety, nor cornerback was a pressing need for the Bills, I would rather have had them use the opportunity to trade a second rounder and acquire a future first rounder.

I would much rather have had the opportunity to select (or have picks to trade and acquire) a much better player today, in Eric Berry from Tennessee.

You don't know that. Byrd may end up being much better than Berry, and if that is the case, then it ends up being a fantastic choice. Basically you are all ready writing him off to a certain degree.

I like the fact that San Fran was looking to draft Byrd, and everything I read and hear about this guy is positive.

He could end up being our draft choice by the time it's all said and done.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that San Francisco also valued Jairus highly, even with the next pick. I believe both the Bills and San Fran valued Darius Butler enough causing New England to trade up and acquire the back-to-back second round picks and selecting him.

But as the article states, and I agree, that San Fran got a tremendous deal by acquiring a first rounder for a draft next year which I feel will be epic, as Clayton notes, exceptional on the defensive line and includes first round free safety talent such as Eric Berry and Taylor Mays.

From what it sounds like, the Bills drafted Byrd because they need someone to create turnovers. If the Bills FO really wants our defense to create turnovers, they should have done more to improve the D-Line. I'm glad we drafted Maybin & picked up Stroud last season, but IMO we should have picked up another dominating DT and another DE. Pressure on the QB creates turnovers and we haven't had a good pass rush in years. If Stroud goes down, we're screwed with our DT's. Last year, we saw bad our pass rush was with Denney & Kelsay. I'm hoping Maybin will be the DE we've been looking for & Ellis can step up and outplay Kelsay & Denney.

I agree with you about DT but it doesn't appear there was much out there and instead they have gotten an outstanding three-year DB and have bolstered the OL and TE. Not crazy about Maybin (to say the least) but hope I am way wrong and he and Byrd bring some life to a dismal defense

You don't know that. Byrd may end up being much better than Berry, and if that is the case, then it ends up being a fantastic choice. Basically you are all ready writing him off to a certain degree.

I like the fact that San Fran was looking to draft Byrd, and everything I read and hear about this guy is positive.

He could end up being our draft choice by the time it's all said and done.

Just as you don't know that Byrd may end up being a better player then Berry. It's an opinion.

I would love for that to happen, but I currently doubt.

Berry is a fantastic prospect, with incredible ball hawk skills. Berry's speed is not a question mark and at safety has man coverage ability as opposed to Jairus who is likely at best a bump corner but can still be solid.

I would rather have the picks for next year. Next years draft will be epic.

Interesting that San Francisco also valued Jairus highly, even with the next pick. I believe both the Bills and San Fran valued Darius Butler enough causing New England to trade up and acquire the back-to-back second round picks and selecting him.

But as the article states, and I agree, that San Fran got a tremendous deal by acquiring a first rounder for a draft next year which I feel will be epic, as Clayton notes, exceptional on the defensive line and includes first round free safety talent such as Eric Berry and Taylor Mays.

You can debate the relative merits of players who've yet to lace up professional cleats with someone else, but I'm wondering how the Bills would be a better team in '09 if they gave up two picks in this draft for one pick in '10?

You can debate the relative merits of players who've yet to lace up professional cleats with someone else, but I'm wondering how the Bills would be a better team in '09 if they gave up two picks in this draft for one pick in '10?

Because they can be a much better team in '10 with a player with more talent then one selected in a later round in '09. You can't be making a bodies argument, If so, then is Levitre worth two picks in '09?

It's talent and not bodies which is an issue per Ralph. The Bills are already 5 deep at the cornerback position. And arguably, 4 deep at the safety position. It is a free safety we are talking about. Expecting a rookie second round free safety convert, in what many pundits considered a weak draft, to improve the overall talent of the team considerably is simply wishful thinking.

The Bills in this instance did not draft to fill a glaring need with a second round free safety. See the 5 deep at cornerback position and 4 deep at the safety point above.

First round picks are the most valuable currency in the NFL. With an unknown regarding the CBA and likely rookie salary scale impacting subsequent drafts, next years draft will be deep, elite and excellent (ie. exponentially better then this years).

And arguably, 4 deep at the safety position.

After Whitner and Scott, there's nothing. Bryd shouldn't have too much trouble passing Simpson or Wilson on the depth chart if he works hard and stays healthy.

If anything, the Bills should be scouring the waiver wire to bring in a vet FS to be a good mentor/teacher to Byrd and just send Simpson on his way.

he's good...but we have bigger needs in the trenches that have not been addressed. Maybe next year we'll finally address that area and have a good football team. This year we'll have yet another defensive back. remind me of this post when we go seven wins.

he's good...but we have bigger needs in the trenches that have not been addressed. Maybe next year we'll finally address that area and have a good football team. This year we'll have yet another defensive back. remind me of this post when we go seven wins.

I know. I can't believe that the Bills completely ignored the OL in this year's draft.

Because they can be a much better team in '10 with a player with more talent then one selected in a later round in '09. You can't be making a bodies argument, If so, then is Levitre worth two picks in '09?

It's talent and not bodies which is an issue per Ralph. The Bills are already 5 deep at the cornerback position. And arguably, 4 deep at the safety position. It is a free safety we are talking about. Expecting a rookie second round free safety convert, in what many pundits considered a weak draft, to improve the overall talent of the team considerably is simply wishful thinking.

The Bills in this instance did not draft to fill a glaring need with a second round free safety. See the 5 deep at cornerback position and 4 deep at the safety point above.

First round picks are the most valuable currency in the NFL. With an unknown regarding the CBA and likely rookie salary scale impacting subsequent drafts, next years draft will be deep, elite and excellent (ie. exponentially better then this years).

I agree it's talent. It always comes down to that. But your first sentence would suggest that a player picked earlier in '10 is, by mere slot selected, more talented than the player they picked in '09. What if the team we would have made the trade with ends up in the playoffs or goes to the SB? Then it's a mere matter of a what, a dozen picks or so? More importantly, it can be argued that a player picked in round two in '09, with a full offseason, regular season, and another off season, is going to be better than a late first round pick in '10.

Contrary to your belief, this team is not deep at the safety position. Simpson has not panned out and anyone who thinks a converted WR still learning the position makes them deep is just not watching the same team we all are. We have suffered from bad FS play the last three seasons.

Lastly, all drafts are a crapshoot at best. Each year brings only a handful of blue chippers. There is nothing wrong with a team that has targeted a player and taking him when they have the chance instead of 'waiting' for next year. The best college player available next year may well end up with a career threatening injury for all anyone knows. A BYRD in the hand you might say.

GO BILLS!!!

The deep draft was talked about in '09 because of an almost certainty of a rookie cap in '10. Yet here we are.

I still fail to see how going into this season, without Byrd & Nelson, we'll be a better team. Unless you've factored in a Top 5 pick next year anyway.

And, no - the safety position is far from deep on this team.

I agree it's talent. It always comes down to that. But your first sentence would suggest that a player picked earlier in '10 is, by mere slot selected, more talented than the player they picked in '09. What if the team we would have made the trade with ends up in the playoffs or goes to the SB? Then it's a mere matter of a what, a dozen picks or so? More importantly, it can be argued that a player picked in round two in '09, with a full offseason, regular season, and another off season, is going to be better than a late first round pick in '10.

Contrary to your belief, this team is not deep at the safety position. Simpson has not panned out and anyone who thinks a converted WR still learning the position makes them deep is just not watching the same team we all are. We have suffered from bad FS play the last three seasons.

Lastly, all drafts are a crapshoot at best. Each year brings only a handful of blue chippers. There is nothing wrong with a team that has targeted a player and taking him when they have the chance instead of 'waiting' for next year. The best college player available next year may well end up with a career threatening injury for all anyone knows. A BYRD in the hand you might say.

GO BILLS!!!

You make the argument that a player with a year of experience in the NFL is better then a future first round pick, yet in your next paragraph make an argument that Byrd is better then already established NFL safeties on the team. Even if Jake Delhomme were to lead Carolina to a 2010 SB victory, getting multiple first rounders is ideal.

My argument is that the talent in the 2010 draft is much, much more better then the talent in 2009, and I am not alone in that feeling. I do not believe that Free Safety is a glaring need on this team, enough so to warrant a second round pick. San Francisco got exceptional value by picking up a first round pick next year. Furthermore, given that at that moment in the draft and as a result, the Bills have in recent years used a #8 pick, #11 pick, a second rounder, a third rounder and two fourth rounders on defensive backs, and the Bills finally broke a streak of 7 years where they did not once use a first day pick on an offensive lineman, I would say this team has adequately addressed the defensive back position.

Don't confuse deep with talented. The Bills have bodies at the safety position, but lack talent, much like other areas on the team. The free safety position is not a highly coveted position in the NFL. If Jairus Byrd becomes Ed Reed, great! I am not willing to believe that because it is wishful thinking. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised then ultimately disappointed in my expectations towards a second round free safety.

The deep draft was talked about in '09 because of an almost certainty of a rookie cap in '10. Yet here we are.

I still fail to see how going into this season, without Byrd & Nelson, we'll be a better team. Unless you've factored in a Top 5 pick next year anyway.

And, no - the safety position is far from deep on this team.

The rookie salary cap fear in '10 was squashed by Goodell in January when he reassured prospects that there will not be one in 2010. As a result notable underclassman, and likely first rounders, like Gerald McCoy, Suh, Mays, Bradford etc. etc. could go back to school without the risk of a salary cap looming when they declare in 2010.

My preferred scenario is a team with two first rounders next year, less FS Jairus Byrd and with Nelson as a result of trading a 2010 third rounder.

Again, the safety position is deep on the Bills. The question with them is whether they are talented, with the exception of Whitner, they are not. And then you can argue whether the free safety position is a highly coveted position in the NFL, which it too is not.

You make the argument that a player with a year of experience in the NFL is better then a future first round pick, yet in your next paragraph make an argument that Byrd is better then already established NFL safeties on the team. Even if Jake Delhomme were to lead Carolina to a 2010 SB victory, getting multiple first rounders is ideal.

My argument is that the talent in the 2010 draft is much, much more better then the talent in 2009, and I am not alone in that feeling. I do not believe that Free Safety is a glaring need on this team, enough so to warrant a second round pick. San Francisco got exceptional value by picking up a first round pick next year. Furthermore, given that at that moment in the draft and as a result, the Bills have in recent years used a #8 pick, #11 pick, a second rounder, a third rounder and two fourth rounders on defensive backs, and the Bills finally broke a streak of 7 years where they did not once use a first day pick on an offensive lineman, I would say this team has adequately addressed the defensive back position.

Don't confuse deep with talented. The Bills have bodies at the safety position, but lack talent, much like other areas on the team. The free safety position is not a highly coveted position in the NFL. If Jairus Byrd becomes Ed Reed, great! I am not willing to believe that because it is wishful thinking. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised then ultimately disappointed in my expectations towards a second round free safety.

I don't see where I made the argument that Byrd is better than anyone. It's obvious that Simpson has not panned out and if Wilson (the converted WR still learning the position) were the answer, they wouldn't have replaced Simpson with Whitner last season. You may not feel that FS is a glaring need, but we've had atrocious FS play the last three seasons and it's cost us. It's obvious the braintrust feels it's a need because they chose to draft one so high this year.

As for deep and talented, the Bills are neither at this point. The ONLY legit starter they have at the S position is Whitner. Now, you may not feel that it's an important position on a team and you're entitled to that position. But if you have a pair of good safeties you can do more things on defense.

As for my comparison to Reed, that was tongue and cheek. When we have the front seven that the Ravens have then I'll revisit my prediction.

As for the 2010 draft: it's all hearsay until 2012, at the earliest. More like 2013.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, I admit I've been influenced by the articles since the draft. But what encourages me more than anything is that he grew up around the game. The PRO game. Can anyone say "DB version of Larry Fitzgerald?" If he already has a command of angles he won't have too much of a problem making the transition to FS. He's a natural ball hawk. And will be MORE of one given the freedom he'll have at FS; his more natural position. If, and it's a HUGE if, we can generate ANY type of pressure with a pass rush and force QBs to hurry a bit more, he's gonna be a force. I'm talking an ED REED type of force.

There, I said it. It's out there. We make QBs as uncomfortable as the Ravens do with their fronts, then we have the next Ed Reed at FS. Go ahead. Flame away. But it's the offseason, we are tied for 1st in the conference, and I'm tired of all the pee in my cornflakes around here.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope he's that good, it would make the pick worth it.

I don't see where I made the argument that Byrd is better than anyone. It's obvious that Simpson has not panned out and if Wilson (the converted WR still learning the position) were the answer, they wouldn't have replaced Simpson with Whitner last season. You may not feel that FS is a glaring need, but we've had atrocious FS play the last three seasons and it's cost us. It's obvious the braintrust feels it's a need because they chose to draft one so high this year.

As for deep and talented, the Bills are neither at this point. The ONLY legit starter they have at the S position is Whitner. Now, you may not feel that it's an important position on a team and you're entitled to that position. But if you have a pair of good safeties you can do more things on defense.

As for my comparison to Reed, that was tongue and cheek. When we have the front seven that the Ravens have then I'll revisit my prediction.

As for the 2010 draft: it's all hearsay until 2012, at the earliest. More like 2013.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills did not make Super Bowls as a result of Mark Kelso.

Could the Bills free safety position be better, most definitely yes. That is why I thought Whitner was being moved.

Having a secondary now made up of a #8, #11, a second rounder, a third rounder and two fourth rounders drafted in the last 4 years is excessive in my opinion, especially when the team went 7 years without spending a first day pick on an offensive lineman. Look at Pioli's draft this year and what the Pats did in the early days, they never went to those excessive lengths.

Umm no he is going to be a safety, and suddenly overrated because of one year?

"I said Byrd would be in the discussion as best DB on team with McKelvin.... DB is not CB ... if you need more clarification please PM me"

I Stand Corrected... I saw the McKelvin reverence and overlooked the initials. Hope that happens. :wallbash: