Question about 80 man roster

Might be a dumb question, but does the Bills roster always have to be at 80 or below in the off-season?

By my count, the Bills have 79 signed players. 79 does not include the drafted players who have yet to be signed.

If they can't exceed 80, the Bills can only sign 1 tryout player without cutting someone.

They will also have to continue to cut as they sign their draft picks in July.

Let me know if I'm thinking about this wrong.

Thanks.

You are right - they cannot exceed the 80 man active roster limit for training camp. However, they can still bring in the tryout guys for otas and mini-camps without signing them and go from there.

Also, realize guys like Hardy may be on the PUP until they are ready to practice, which is another roster spot open.

You are right - they cannot exceed the 80 man active roster limit for training camp. However, they can still bring in the tryout guys for otas and mini-camps without signing them and go from there.

Also, realize guys like Hardy may be on the PUP until they are ready to practice, which is another roster spot open.

Yep - The 80 limit applies to the start of training camp. Before that, it's as many as you like. This morning, the paper here noted that CIN currently lists 86 players.