Maybin is actually bigger than Schobel already

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... :thumbsup:

Yeah I know. I was just going with the premise of the OP. And in the Bills' master plan (if I can presume), they view Maybin as the 32 year old Schobel's successor someday. By then of course Maybin should be much bigger, stronger, and technically adept.

Yeah I know. I was just going with the premise of the OP. And in the Bills' master plan (if I can presume), they view Maybin as the 32 year old Schobel's successor someday. By then of course Maybin should be much bigger, stronger, and technically adept.

Yeah, the Kelsay quip was an aside.

But I agree 100% that Maybin = Schobel 2.0. I've had the same thought myself. Now if we could just get a LE 4.0. we'll be all set!

I don't know where this justification comes from. Have all of you seen videos of Maybin playing at PSU and getting run over by RB's? Probably not, because those video's don't exist.

Maybin is probably one of the top 5 athletes on the Bills right now, especially with Peters gone. Do we really think he is going to get man handled by the OT's in the AFC East? There are some good OT's for sure, but I think Maybin will surprise everyone with his ability. 6-4 250+ is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus he is a beast.

Are you implying that Schobel DOES get run over? This may be true, but I've never noticed it.

We won't be able to prove or disprove this one till the smoke clears on 2009 but I'm gonna guess that Schobel's much better at playing the run than Maybin.
I don't know where this justification comes from. Have all of you seen videos of Maybin playing at PSU and getting run over by RB's? Probably not, because those video's don't exist.

Maybin is probably one of the top 5 athletes on the Bills right now, especially with Peters gone. Do we really think he is going to get man handled by the OT's in the AFC East? There are some good OT's for sure, but I think Maybin will surprise everyone with his ability. 6-4 250+ is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus he is a beast.

Well Union, first of all I said it was a guess.

Secondly my opinion is based upon the videos (which are fairly extensive) of Penn State versus USC in the Rose Bowl and the scouting reports which I've read. Maybin is not considered at this point a good run player and of course that can change. But if you're not a good run player in college it's gonna be hard to be a better run player as a rookie. I'm also basing my opinion on the fact that Schobel is a veteran of many campaigns. As such he has the experience, expertise, and technique to deal with NFL tackles (and I'm not talking about getting run over by running backs as you argue).

Are you implying that Schobel DOES get run over? This may be true, but I've never noticed it.

Schobel doesn't necessarily get "run over" but very often his angle to the QB is so wide that it's very easy for an RB to cut back in and run right by him.

In football parlance his ability to contain as a DE is pitiful.

Fcking Christ, he looks like an action figure.

[/quote

That's freaky... looks like two round, near half-globe anatomical swelling sacs with nipples pointing down to the ground. They look like they they would leak and spurt fluid if whacked hard.

Schobel doesn't necessarily get "run over" but very often his angle to the QB is so wide that it's very easy for an RB to cut back in and run right by him.

In football parlance his ability to contain as a DE is pitiful.

Yes and if you watched the Penn State-USC Rose Bowl videos you see Maybin doing the same thing. On pass plays he's sprinting on an outside rush and getting pushed past the play. On run plays they ran inside him.

The great defensive ends (more often than non-great defensive ends) leave that door open...and then shut it.

Yes and if you watched the Penn State-USC Rose Bowl videos you see Maybin doing the same thing. On pass plays he's sprinting on an outside rush and getting pushed past the play. On run plays they ran inside him.

The great defensive ends (more often than non-great defensive ends) leave that door open...and then shut it.

IIRC, the Tamp-2 prefers its DE's to penetrate as far as they can into the backfield, hoping that the interior guys push the pocket/QB back into their waiting arms. We never had that kind push pre-Stroud. So, we'll have to wait and see.

Fcking Christ, he looks like an action figure.

That's freaky... looks like two round, near half-globe anatomical swelling sacs with nipples pointing down to the ground. They look like they they would leak and spurt fluid if whacked hard.

tell us how you really feel

tell us how you really feel

Do you lack reading comprehension? :thumbsup:

Schobel doesn't get run over but he gets very easily knocked around....

Yeah, as shown by the fact that among DLinemen he was leading the entire NFL in tackles when he got hurt.

Good lord you are clueless.... :thumbsup:

Plus he is a beast.

That dude is ripped! :thumbsup:

Well Union, first of all I said it was a guess.

Secondly my opinion is based upon the videos (which are fairly extensive) of Penn State versus USC in the Rose Bowl and the scouting reports which I've read. Maybin is not considered at this point a good run player and of course that can change. But if you're not a good run player in college it's gonna be hard to be a better run player as a rookie. I'm also basing my opinion on the fact that Schobel is a veteran of many campaigns. As such he has the experience, expertise, and technique to deal with NFL tackles (and I'm not talking about getting run over by running backs as you argue).

That's one of the knocks on Maybin coming out of college. Right now he's only a situational pass rusher. He's gonna have to do some work in order to be a three down player.

Linkage

Weaknesses:

Is severely undersized...Does not have great timed speed...A liability versus the run...Struggles mightily to get off blocks...Doesn't play with much discipline...Marginal instincts and awareness...Will need to continue getting stronger...Still immature...Doesn't have much playing experience..Only had one big year in college...Poor program pedigree.