TimeWarnerCable vs DirectTV

RayFinkle

If you want the YES network, it only comes with the most expensive DTV package in Rochester. Mrs Rock is addicted to the Yankees.

You sure? I just checked using my old Roch zip code, 14612, and it shows YES, MSG, and SNY as available Regional Sports Networks....nothing on it being available only on the most expensive package.

Apparently I am the only person who has had the opposite...

Apparently so....

I had DirecTV for 6 years and they tried to stick it up my a$ when I had to upgrade an HD DVR I bought from them like 5 months earlier and it was usuless when it came to get their new expanded HD Channels. Yes Fezzy, I cired and cried and threaten to cancel them and all that good stuff - they still refused to upgrade I was NOT going to shell out another $500 on a box that I had to still pay for but yet rent fromt hem as well; whereas in the past I bought my receiver and it was mine.

Your dates must be a bit off, because there was a LONG gap between the HD TiVos and the new HR20s. In addition, once they started talking about removing the MPEG2 feeds (which is all the HD TiVo could receive), they offered free swaps for HR21s. They didn't talk about shutting off MPEG2 until they had the new sat up that did MPEG4 -- so there wasn't anything you couldn't get until then. There was only a few month gap between the MPEG4 stuff and the free trade-in promos if I recall; sounds like you got stuck in no-man's land. :rolleyes:

As for the "lease vs own" thing -- it's all semantics and only affects how they get to write things down on their books. I've modifed both of my DVRs by adding 1TB harddrives in them. That's something you generally can't do with any cable company DVR that I'm aware of -- non-upgradable.

The Satellite Internet service through them is atrocious, my friends have it...it blows. Separate phone service costs an arm and a leg...

Satellite internet isn't from DirecTV -- and yes, it sucks. Latency kills.

Many areas, however, have teamed up to offer their own "Triple play" of DirecTV/Qwest DSL/Qwest VOIP (phone).

Sorry you had a bad experience -- but yours is obviously the exception (based on anecdotal evidence here, as well as the awards they win every year for best customer service).

I didn't phrase it clear enough...Plus it was a couple (Year and a half maybe) years ago...so there is some fuzz...not much though

I was a subscriber for 6 years..I finally upgraded to the HD DVR (The last of the Tivo variety) and the HR20's were not out yet...a few months after they announced the new HD stations were going to be available in Sept I believe...I paid $500 for that damn receiver that I didn't technically own and still had to pay a rental fee. When the new HR20's came out I called and talked to Jose, Jesus, Jaunita, etc down in Cabo or whereever in Mexico they outsourced their service. I explained that I recently upgraded, I even have the 5 LNB dish on my house (one of the first to get it when it came out - they even came to take pics of it on my house being one of the first in May of the same year) but they only had the old receivers. I was told that I would have to buy a new one...I was still polite at this time and they refused to upgrade me or swap them out. I did ask them to let me talk their supervisor which I did, explained that I had been a loyal subscriber for 6 years, any time I ever had a problem the customer cervice was great and always took care of the issue right away with no problems...still refused. So I said I want to cancel my service, talked to that area they still even refused...at that piont I cancelled it effective at the end of the next month (November). I then called TWC talked to them and they hooked me up for their 12 month promotion. About 6 months into it, here come the emails, fliers etc from DTV saying they want me back and blah blah...they called once so I took the call explained what happened and that I thought their custoemr service has gone down the tubes (It used to be second to none....it was awesome). The guy then offers me the free upgrade and 3 months free...but knowing that free service would not last for ever I declinded. So it does sound like I was in no-mans land. They prolly changed their minds and created the promotion due to pissed off customers leaving...If I was treated better on my last couple calls to them, I would have considered going back. I almost went to Dish Network which gives you free equipment, but no YES <_<

When my 12 month special rate was up with TWC I called and said I wanted to keep the rate or I was going back to DTV, they let me stay with my promotional rate. So I pay $120/month...locked in..compared to $230 (DTV + Verizon + Road Runner)...

I must admit I was skeptical about the picture quality..very skeptical, but honestly on my TV atleast, I cannot tell a difference with the HD stations..the non-HD stations look much better with TW than they did with DTV...It could very well be the upgraded cable lines. I had trouble once with the picture and TW came right out - the line from the outside of my house (Pole to house and inside the house were all re-wired) to the inside was old; it was promptly replaced and wow..the picture is perfect...The only thing about TWC I don't like is that they use subcontractors to install new service and they suck. When I called with my issue I asked for a true TWC tech...he was great and fixed a couple connection sthat I didn't like that the contractors did...

Very true about upgrading the DVR capacity...It sucks not being able to upgrade, but I just burn it on DVD if I want to keep it...I do wish it was a bit bigger....

On a side note Fez, I saw the new Samsung LED TV the other day next to a Sony Bravia XBR - holy sh--, the picture is amazing on that tv....