Cards Release OLB Travis LaBoy

GripnRip

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to bring this up in the OLB thread.....if he could be had cheap (and that's a big if), he might not be a bad option to platoon with Ellison and/or Bowen. And in a platoon, maybe he stays healthy and productive.

They released Roderick Hood as well I believe

I can imagine how this conversation with Jauron and Russ went down.

Russ: "So, it looks like the Cards released Travis LaBoy, a real good pass rushing DE. Would be a nice addition to our squad and give us great depth"

Dick: "Pass, we already have Kelsay"

Russ: "...riiiiiggghht. They also released this Defensive Back Roder..."

Dick: "GET HIM IN HERE NOW!! SCREW THE COST, RUSS!"

I like him. He's a much more physical player than Ellison. Might struggle with pass coverage a bit, but still is worth a look at the very least.

I think he is a good pass rusher...and i remember he made a very good game against the Bills last year...

I would be very happy with him.....from Hawaii - via Arizona to Buffalo ;-))

I remember the year he was drafted by the Titans, they had three 2nd round draft picks and everybody said how good they did in the draft for getting Ben Troupe, Antwaan Odom, and Laboy. Laboy would be a good DE in our scheme I believes he plays LB for the Cards but is a better 4-3 DE-probably a little better then Kelsay but dont think he would be a huge upgrade. I believe if memory serves me correctly he played college ball in Hawaii, then Tenesee, followed by Arizona so the cold weather may be an issue for him.

Travis LaBoy #55 DE

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 68 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: LaBoy is a five-year veteran who was drafted by the Titans in the second round of the 2004 draft. He is a little undersized for the position and gets in trouble when he has to play the run, especially when he is at the point of attack. He lacks bulk and mass to hold his ground and tends to play a little tall when warding off and trying to diagnose. He lacks the upper-body strength to control and shed blockers and can get engulfed by big offensive tackles. He has a tendency to play out of control and can whiff in space when trying to tackle. As a pass rusher he can be explosive off the ball and has started to develop some counter moves to go with his speed. He can burst off the block to pressure the quarterback once he gets free and has the speed to chase things down from behind. He has become pretty one-dimensional in his play and would really struggle if asked to play both the run as well as rush the passer.

Defense Stats

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT

2004 TEN 13 20 13 7 0 3.5 0 0 0

2005 TEN 15 41 27 14 1 6.5 0 0 0

2006 TEN 13 31 22 9 1 3.5 1 0 0

2007 TEN 13 13 9 4 3 6.0 4 0 1

2008 ARI 13 31 25 6 1 4.0 1 0 0

Career 67 136 96 40 6 23.5 6 0 1

Is this Aaron Maybin five years from now???

i don't know why rotoworld shows him as a LB - everywhere else I've seen him listed as a defensive end.

He was a DE for years in tennessee, but arizona followed the common belief that you can simply make any 260 lb DE an OLB.

He was a DE for years in tennessee, but arizona followed the common belief that you can simply make any 260 lb DE an OLB.

awesome. so we're going to solve up our linebacker woes with a guy who has played linebacker for 1 partial year in his life.

BRILLIANT!