Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

Its not among the worst movies ever made, but it did bore me to tears. I'm sure its a fine story about meaningful, yet transient relationships. I'm just not so sure that even the most exemplary narrative about the drying of paint translates into an appealing motion picture.

Like you, I don't find stories about meaningful, yet transient relationships in any way entertaining......but there is an audience for it.....and from all accounts "Lost in Translation" did a magnificent job of achieving it, as well as achieving an overall atmosphere of loneliness etc.

It perhaps should be considered a very good movie that doesn't appeal to most people.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in Translation is that movie that no one actually liked but it received rave reviews from critics and then the artsy crowd fawned over it, creating an environment where people are hesitant to criticize the movie for fear of being labeled one of those who "doesn't get it." As in "You just don't get it. If you got the movie, then you'd love it!"

This is the best way to describe people's reaction to a film like "Lost in Translation".

Personally I think "Lost in Translation" is a good movie, mostly because of the performances by Bill Murray & Scarlett Johannson. However, I also think it's a movie that is a bit overrated. Did it really deserve a "Best Picture" nomination?

As for the "You just don't get it."comments, I have taken those shots when it comes to the movie "Juno". A movie that got such high marks by critics and the artsy crowd that made it a mainstream hit.

As for me, I thought "Juno" was a terrible movie, and I could not for the life of me understand why everyone was getting all excited about it.

What's even worse is that "Juno" actually won the Oscar for "Best Original Screenplay", over the likes of "Ratatouille". That is just obscene.

Edited by Mark Vader

I loved Juno, too. Loved almost all of it.

The problem with critics, and awards in general, and the Oscars in particular, is that the people reviewing them or voting for them watch them differently than the general public, and like different things.

Lost in Translation is a perfect example of that. I never knew anyone who didn't like or love that movie until today. ;)

That is a sweeping generalization, of course, but it's true nonetheless. I work in the film industry. My taste in movies is way different than the general public. It's not that I just like artsy fartsy stuff, a lot of it bores me to tears, too... but I surely watch movies differently than most all of my friends that are not in the film industry, and like them or dislike them for different reasons.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I loved Juno, too. Loved almost all of it.

The problem with critics, and awards in general, and the Oscars in particular, is that the people reviewing them or voting for them watch them differently than the general public, and like different things.

Lost in Translation is a perfect example of that. I never knew anyone who didn't like or love that movie until today. ;)

That is a sweeping generalization, of course, but it's true nonetheless. I work in the film industry. My taste in movies is way different than the general public. It's not that I just like artsy fartsy stuff, a lot of it bores me to tears, too... but I surely watch movies differently than most all of my friends that are not in the film industry, and like them or dislike them for different reasons.

There is no way that any high school girl in today's society or back in 2007, the year "Juno" was released, would have any idea as to who Dario Argento or Soupy Sales are/were.

Just one of my critiques.

You probably didn't get it.

Oh I got it. Boy, did I get it. :sick:

I happened to like Silver Linings a lot, mostly for the performances, and especially Jennifer Lawrence. But I can see why some people see the movie as lacking. The story itself was rather pedestrian, and I think DeNiro, while he is always great, just mailed in his greatness, if that is possible. He pretty much is the same guy all the time now.

Still, it's hard pressed to call Silver Linings a terrible movie when 50-60% of released movies, IMO, are pretty terrible and immeasurably worse than Silver Linings.

An interesting circumstance has arisen in Hollywood lately, now that Ben Afflect has won all of the major and minor awards for Best Director for Argo -- Broadcast Film Critics Association, Golden Globes, San Diego Film Critics and the Directors Guild of America (DGA) -- and isn't even nominated for the Oscar, even though David O. Russell, for Silver Linings, was.

The excuses for the snub are flying all over. You may want to bet on Argo winning the Academy Award for Best Picture just because members are embarrassed by Afflect winning everywhere, even though Lincoln would and perhaps should win it.

I saw "Silver Linings Playbook" last night! This can't be a

a 'worst movie'! There were way too many of us that laughed

during the movie. It is nominated because of the mental issues

it portrays and how they can affect a family. I liked the movie so much

will rent from Red Box and watch again.

Edited by CowgirlsFan

There is no way that any high school girl in today's society or back in 2007, the year "Juno" was released, would have any idea as to who Dario Argento or Soupy Sales are/were.

Just one of my critiques.

Oh I got it. Boy, did I get it. :sick:

I only watched a fraction of that movie and turned it off after a few minutes of cliched "teenager with dialogue written for a 35 year old is smarter than everyone else" storyline.

I just thought of another movie to add. Killing Them Softly. Might be the worst piece of trash I've ever seen. I've never in my life walked out in a movie theatre, but I was incredibly close during this movie. Only thing stopping me was being out of town and complete boredom and nothing else to do.

I just thought of another movie to add. Killing Them Softly. Might be the worst piece of trash I've ever seen. I've never in my life walked out in a movie theatre, but I was incredibly close during this movie. Only thing stopping me was being out of town and complete boredom and nothing else to do.

I liked it Killing Them Softly very much. I thought it was excellent.

My vote for worst movie is The Jerky Boys. I wanted it to be good, but oh boy it was not.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst movie i ever saw was called Laserblast. Horrid plot, bad acting . . there was a make out/love scene done in all close-ups.

And I was 14 when I saw it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077834/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserblast

I'd have to put Dune on the list as well. I get a lot of sh** from my 18 year old about watching that movie. It's such a bad interpretation of a genuinely great novel that I can't look away . . .

The worst movie i ever saw was called Laserblast. Horrid plot, bad acting . . there was a make out/love scene done in all close-ups.

And I was 14 when I saw it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077834/

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Laserblast

I'd have to put Dune on the list as well. I get a lot of sh** from my 18 year old about watching that movie. It's such a bad interpretation of a genuinely great novel that I can't look away . . .

"Laserblast" is horrible. That was the last movie that Mystery Science Theatre 3000 did on Comedy Central.

Dune is in my Top 100 list.....probably in my Top 25.

Bad interpretation? It at least followed the base premise of the story.....unlike such annoyances as "I, Robot", "Constantine" & "I am Legend", to name a few.