Ten "worst" films ever

WWVaBeach

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The dialogue is stiff and WAAAAAAY too high on exposition. The characters are unbelievable and only Jennifer Lawrence puts in a convincing performance of mental illness (hey, I love Deniro but I could rattle off 25 better performances. Pop in Taxi Driver and tell me he's on the top of his game right now). Bradley Cooper seems like a guy who's having a good ol' time pretending to have rage issues.

Secondary and tertiary characters are introduced and then forgotten, and the ones who last til the end serve no function in the plot. The set pieces aren't as cringe worthy as the poorly concealed plot devices, but it's close. And I don't get the sense that the director or writers have seen a game of NFL football in their lives.

My girlfriend insists I don't get it because I'm a guy, but there are romance movies that I love. This one just out and out sucks. Why is it considered Oscar bait?

I happened to like Silver Linings a lot, mostly for the performances, and especially Jennifer Lawrence. But I can see why some people see the movie as lacking. The story itself was rather pedestrian, and I think DeNiro, while he is always great, just mailed in his greatness, if that is possible. He pretty much is the same guy all the time now.

Still, it's hard pressed to call Silver Linings a terrible movie when 50-60% of released movies, IMO, are pretty terrible and immeasurably worse than Silver Linings.

An interesting circumstance has arisen in Hollywood lately, now that Ben Afflect has won all of the major and minor awards for Best Director for Argo -- Broadcast Film Critics Association, Golden Globes, San Diego Film Critics and the Directors Guild of America (DGA) -- and isn't even nominated for the Oscar, even though David O. Russell, for Silver Linings, was.

The excuses for the snub are flying all over. You may want to bet on Argo winning the Academy Award for Best Picture just because members are embarrassed by Afflect winning everywhere, even though Lincoln would and perhaps should win it.

"Oh, hi Mark."

Still, it's hard pressed to call Silver Linings a terrible movie when 50-60% of released movies, IMO, are pretty terrible and immeasurably worse than Silver Linings.

Yeah, I suppose my ire is relative to the movie's reputation, not it's objective quality. To be nominated for Best Picture and ALL the acting categories, a romantic comedy (albeit with dark elements) better be one of the best of all time...and it just isn't.

"Oh, hi Mark."

Yeah, I suppose my ire is relative to the movie's reputation, not it's objective quality. To be nominated for Best Picture and ALL the acting categories, a romantic comedy (albeit with dark elements) better be one of the best of all time...and it just isn't.

Yeah, especially considering that critics loved it (92% on Rotten Tomatoes), audiences loved it (89%), it will end up making $150-200 million, and nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor AND Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor AND Actress, . ;)

I do know ALL about hating movies that most if not virtually everyone likes though. ;)

Yeah, especially considering that critics loved it (92% on Rotten Tomatoes), audiences loved it (89%), it will end up making $150-200 million, and nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor AND Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor AND Actress, . ;)

I do know ALL about hating movies that most if not virtually everyone likes though. ;)

That's the beauty of being a snob. No volume of dissent is large enough to be proven wrong. :P

I've got to resurrect this thread just to ask: how the hell did Battleship ever get made? Was Peter Berg playing a practical joke on the movie-viewing public, or did someone lose a bet? I mean...were they serious? I haven't laughed this hard at a movie since Wedding Crashers...was this supposed to be a comedy? The script was absolutely atrocius. The effects did nothing to forward the plot, in no small part because there was no particularly identifiable plot (and in part because what plot was identifiable didn't seem connected to the effects). The acting and directing was so flat that new mathematical theories would have to be developed to describe it. I know some movies are so bad they're funny, I know some are so bad they're campy, I even know some are so bad they're just bad (e.g. Salt). This is the only movie I've ever seen that was so bad it's practically a force of nature.

Someone definitely lost a bet. But for me I put it in the 'it's so god awful it's kinda good' category.

And they were actually playing the frickin' game when they were trying to hit the alien ship! And some of the weapons the aliens were using were shaped like those little pegs! Classic! :lol:

You want bad movies? I mean really, really, really, really, really bad movies? If you have Roku or you may be able to stream them online look up Drive In Classics. Holy crap.

Make it easier on yourself, and watch them on MST3K. Here's one of the best, condensed to 12 minutes. Even features the professor from Gilligan's Island. What more could you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ohUYBJFF0

Will catch a lot of crap for this but Avatar sucked. Oh so tired plot. Characters are even more hackneyed than the story line. I guess the tech was ok but that doesn't make a movie. Just a big load of boring crap.

An interesting circumstance has arisen in Hollywood lately, now that Ben Afflect has won all of the major and minor awards for Best Director for Argo -- Broadcast Film Critics Association, Golden Globes, San Diego Film Critics and the Directors Guild of America (DGA) -- and isn't even nominated for the Oscar, even though David O. Russell, for Silver Linings, was.

The excuses for the snub are flying all over. You may want to bet on Argo winning the Academy Award for Best Picture just because members are embarrassed by Afflect winning everywhere, even though Lincoln would and perhaps should win it.

This could very well happen. I would not be surprised if Steven Spielberg wins Best Director, but "Argo" wins Best Picture.

I really liked "Argo", but I think it is getting far more love than it deserves.

"Oh, hi Mark."

"Hi Sage" B-)

The way you feel about "Silver Linings Playbook", is the way I feel about "Beasts of the Southern Wild".

I don't think "Beasts" was awful, but I was left puzzled as to why it was nominated for best picture. I don't even think Quvenzhane Wallis should have been nominated for best actress either.

The movie has plenty of it's downer moments and it shows a part of society that we refuse to look at, but I did not think it was such a powerful movie to be thought of as "Best Picture".

I have not seen "Silver Linings Playbook" yet, but when I do, I'll let you know if you are right or if you are just a snob.

Will catch a lot of crap for this but Avatar sucked. Oh so tired plot. Characters are even more hackneyed than the story line. I guess the tech was ok but that doesn't make a movie. Just a big load of boring crap.

I have never seen "Avatar", but you would not be the first to say that Dante.

Many people have told me that "Avatar" is a great movie experience, but just an ok movie.

Others have told me, "If you've seen "Ferngully", you've seen "Avatar".

This is James Cameron's MO. He makes entertaining movies that are fun to watch, but the stories are mostly so-so.

Knocked up

And they actually showed it. I do not want to see that in any type of comedy. It was fake as can be, too.

I mean if they are going to be that graphic showing the baby coming out, be that graphic showing how it was made... I'd be good with that - though, whoever that chick was Katherine Heigl lost a lot of her clout real fast.

Edited by jboyst62

And they actually showed it. I do not want to see that in any type of comedy. It was fake as can be, too.

I mean if they are going to be that graphic showing the baby coming out, be that graphic showing how it was made... I'd be good with that - though, whoever that chick was Katherine Heigl lost a lot of her clout real fast.

Boy did she ever.

She may need to beg ABC to put her back on "Grey's Anatomy".

Boy did she ever.

She may need to beg ABC to put her back on "Grey's Anatomy".

My understanding is that she's impossible to work with. In an industry where there are 1,000 pretty/marketable women ready to take your place, you better be uniquely beautiful or uniquely talented for that attitude.