wine in a carton

mead107

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking Thirsty Lizard tonight . A not to bad Chardonnay. Not to bad for a box wine . :rolleyes:

I have made a pact (at least until the wife goes back to work) that I will not pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine. I have found some of the best $7.99-9.99 bottles of wine I've ever had since I've been doing this. Search out areas like Chili, Spain, Portugal etc that come in actual bottles. :lol:

I have made a pact (at least until the wife goes back to work) that I will not pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine. I have found some of the best $7.99-9.99 bottles of wine I've ever had since I've been doing this. Search out areas like Chili, Spain, Portugal etc that come in actual bottles. :lol:

And I thought Chef was gonna B word slap you because you dared to string together the words "box" and "wine". :rolleyes:

And I thought Chef was gonna B word slap you because you dared to string together the words "box" and "wine". :rolleyes:

We're close to the Napa Valley. Even the box wines are good.

I have made a pact (at least until the wife goes back to work) that I will not pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine. I have found some of the best $7.99-9.99 bottles of wine I've ever had since I've been doing this. Search out areas like Chili, Spain, Portugal etc that come in actual bottles. :rolleyes:

When I lived in Portugal I used to live on $10 bottles of wine. Founds some really great stuff. Of course I had some stuff that tasted like it had already been drunk once too. But you learn...

I have made a pact (at least until the wife goes back to work) that I will not pay more than $20 for a bottle of wine. I have found some of the best $7.99-9.99 bottles of wine I've ever had since I've been doing this. Search out areas like Chili, Spain, Portugal etc that come in actual bottles. :rolleyes:

It is always nice to find a good bottle of inexpensive wine. Personally I enjoy a $10 bottle more than a $300 bottle simply because you you have $290 to spend elsewhere.

If you live in NY the Bully Hill wines are very good. IMO

I still wish I could get Bully Hill down here. Damn fine table wines. And the look on people's faces when you give them as a gift a bottle of "Love My Goat Red" is priceless...

try a Malbec from Argentina for a really nice inexpensive red

Alamos :huh: and Las Hornigas(sp) :thumbsup: are 2 i like

nero d'avolo and primitivo from sicilia/southern italy are interesting also

adelsheim from Oregon makes a nice Pinot Noir but the price is above 10

you can still find some good pinot grigios like Kris or Zenato but that part of the shelf is getting flooded with pi$$ from movement away from oaky chardonnays- everyone made an oaky chardonnay and now everyone makes a crisp (but not always good) pinot grigio

kim crawford sauvignon blanc is good from New Zealand but is getting expensive- there are probably other good ones from N.Z. or South Africa out there but i have not tried any lately

My # 1 rule for buying wine: stay away from California and France (except for the Rhone valley Reds or a Macon Village type white or a Pepi) typically overpriced for the quality unless you want to spend in the 100s- and why spend in the hundreds when you can do good at 10-20

BTW regarding the wines I listed above. One of the most frustrating things for me regarding wine is reading a great review from a reliable source like Wine Spectator and not being able to find the wine anywhere. The key is find a varietal you like, for me lately it's been the Spanish Garnacha (Granache) or Tempranillos, and just start trying them. I know a few years ago I was posting here that you've got to spend $$ to get good wine. What a !@#$ing snob....I've since changed my tune.

totally agree on the spanish reds- great taste and great value

this is the time of year to pick up some rose's from Spain - totally different than a white zin

BTW regarding the wines I listed above. One of the most frustrating things for me regarding wine is reading a great review from a reliable source like Wine Spectator and not being able to find the wine anywhere. The key is find a varietal you like, for me lately it's been the Spanish Garnacha (Granache) or Tempranillos, and just start trying them. I know a few years ago I was posting here that you've got to spend $$ to get good wine. What a !@#$ing snob....I've since changed my tune.

If you ever get to a World Market & see some good deals... :thumbsup: I usually buy a few bottles each time I'm in the store but I just look at 2 things, price and the pretty labels.