Trent Edwards

Virgil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with your point, I'd be willing to bet money our average field position was bottom half of the league.

Good point, I remember some really bad games where field position was consistently poor. if you look up the stat let me know. Thanks

I doubt that given our return game, which was near or at the top of the league in both KO and punt returns.

We didn't get many turnovers, though. Thats what brings the average up the most. And our defense has a habit of giving up yards even when they don't allow points, which explains why I remember the O being pinned back often. Just an eyeball test thing though, of course.

We didn't get many turnovers, though. Thats what brings the average up the most. And our defense has a habit of giving up yards even when they don't allow points, which explains why I remember the O being pinned back often. Just an eyeball test thing though, of course.

After a little research, it appears that the Bills had the best drive start position average in the NFL in 2008. You have to scroll down a bit to get to it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...38f0fd2.html?nl

After a little research, it appears that the Bills had the best drive start position average in the NFL in 2008. You have to scroll down a bit to get to it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...38f0fd2.html?nl

Thanks for the link. As he is a little light on the labeling, I wonder if that includes all drive starts (including turnovers) or is limited to ST drive starts. Either way, it is pretty impressive.

the usfl was pro ball in the same sense that a preseason game is an nfl game, technically true but....

It really had little in common with a preseason game, as these teams were hitting hard and playing their best players the entire game, with the goal was winning.

Many of the players might have been at the talent level of a preseason game's third quarter, but the comparison ends there. At that time, the USFL had some mighty fine football players, too, if you remember.

I'd compare it to the early days of the AFL.

Thanks for the link. As he is a little light on the labeling, I wonder if that includes all drive starts (including turnovers) or is limited to ST drive starts. Either way, it is pretty impressive.

I would assume it is all drives, but surely having Roscoe and Leodis helped that stat immeasurably.

the usfl was pro ball in the same sense that a preseason game is an nfl game, technically true but....

There was some decent football played in the USFL. But the main advantage was having a pro style coach, Mouse Davis, letting him throw wild, and more importantly, the two years of maturing that your body and football mind advances from say 22-24. That helps a lot. Three years out of college is a huge difference from one year out of college.

Between that, and his health issues, my question is, how sold on him are you to lead this offense to it's potential?

If he's healthy....I like him from sept-nov....scared to death of him in december and the cold.

Come on Magox...even you have to admit his post was absurd...he claimed Trent was "very good" last year and does NOT need to improve...come on, even you know that is hog wash...

Never said that. Don't quote something I didn't say, 'cause that's not a quote. I said he is "pretty good", which he is for a guy who has so few starts under his belt. He shows all of the things great QB's have (leadership, arm accuracy and strength, ability to manage the game), but his problem right now is consistency. Everyone knows consistency is fixable and comes with experience.

JP Losman never showed game management ability, leadership, or accuracy. That's how I knew the guy would fail all along.

Trent Edwards has all of the physical and mental tools to be a great QB, and time will bring consistency.

Also, I never said he "does NOT need to improve". Even TB and PM have room for improvement. I know Trent has much room for improvement, I've just had enough of everyone ripping on the guy.

Gotta love people putting "words in my mouth".

Never said that. Don't quote something I didn't say, 'cause that's not a quote. I said he is "pretty good", which he is for a guy who has so few starts under his belt. He shows all of the things great QB's have (leadership, arm accuracy and strength, ability to manage the game), but his problem right now is consistency. Everyone knows consistency is fixable and comes with experience.

JP Losman never showed game management ability, leadership, or accuracy. That's how I knew the guy would fail all along.

Trent Edwards has all of the physical and mental tools to be a great QB, and time will bring consistency.

Also, I never said he "does NOT need to improve". Even TB and PM have room for improvement. I know Trent has much room for improvement, I've just had enough of everyone ripping on the guy.

Gotta love people putting "words in my mouth".

TE does not have all the physical tools to be a great QB. He is relatively unathletic and has an average arm(Im being generous there). He does have extraordinary cool in the pocket--which is rare among any QB--so I believe in the guy somewhat. He lacks killer instinct to finish drives and he is injury prone.

The jury is out. I am optimistic because for a young QB he doesn't get rattled.

TE does not have all the physical tools to be a great QB. He is relatively unathletic and has an average arm(Im being generous there). He does have extraordinary cool in the pocket--which is rare among any QB--so I believe in the guy somewhat. He lacks killer instinct to finish drives and he is injury prone.

The jury is out. I am optimistic because for a young QB he doesn't get rattled.

See Brady, Tom.

And I'm sure all top 5 high school Qbs (as Trent was) are just recruited by college powerhouses because they are just "cool" in the pocket. They rarely have any physical tools. :pirate:

Watch the first half of this video, and check out these throws. They prove he has the arm, it's still just the consistency issue.

please see :39, :47, 1:20, 1:40, 2:40, 2:45. Watch all of the highlights from the first half, but I think those show he can make the throws.

Note: not my video

There was some decent football played in the USFL. But the main advantage was having a pro style coach, Mouse Davis, letting him throw wild, and more importantly, the two years of maturing that your body and football mind advances from say 22-24. That helps a lot. Three years out of college is a huge difference from one year out of college.

Kelly was fun to watch in that run and shoot offense. He learned and awful lot about coverages but, by the same token, the run and shoot retarded his maturation as an NFL QB to a certain degree. That said, he was FAR better off for his pro ball experience in the USFL. There were many good/great players that made the jump to the NFL and starred. Kent Hull, anyone?

GO BILLS!!!

Kelly was fun to watch in that run and shoot offense. He learned and awful lot about coverages but, by the same token, the run and shoot retarded his maturation as an NFL QB to a certain degree. That said, he was FAR better off for his pro ball experience in the USFL. There were many good/great players that made the jump to the NFL and starred. Kent Hull, anyone?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure how much it retarded his maturation as an NFL QB but I would be interested in your explanation of what you meant.

One of the most amazing things to me about Kelly over his entire career was for a guy with a huge ego, a cannon for an arm, a bunch of good fast receivers, and free reign calling plays, he sure called an awful lot of runs.