From an ACTUAL Source

I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed of my support of Dick Jauron.

The reasons I support Dick (couldn't help the dick joke) were once again confirmed tonight.

Just one more person who's worked with Jauron and who has nothing but praises for him. My source is an informed guy. He considers Dick a friend from Dick's time here in Chicago. He knows him professionally. He's seen Jauron in the locker room. He referred to him as the one of the most "under rated coaches in the league."

I feel bad blowing up my source in light of recent events, if you're truly curious about his identity, you're welcomed to PM me and I'll give you all the details about my source, so long as he stays private.

I won't respond to your PM if I've never heard of you.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's anyone who complains about Dick Jauron as a person. He seems to be very well liked by the players in the locker room. He seems like a nice guy and he seems to have good intentions.

All the locker room stuff is great, but you can't argue with his coaching tools that he's routinely messed up game after game, year after year. Challenges, timeouts, philosophy, and not putting the players in the best situations to succeed. These are ultimately direct lines to the head coach, and these are the areas he's failed this team in, and it shows in our record and inability to take make the playoffs since he's been here.

Again, he seems like a great person and fun guy to play for, but he just isn't getting it done on the field and in the win/loss column. He's had just one winning season in I believe, in nine or so total? Have to check that. The stars were aligned last year and he still couldn't take advantage.

The reasons I support Dick (couldn't help the dick joke) were once again confirmed tonight.

Just one more person who's worked with Jauron and who has nothing but praises for him. My source is an informed guy. He considers Dick a friend from Dick's time here in Chicago. He knows him professionally. He's seen Jauron in the locker room. He referred to him as the one of the most "under rated coaches in the league."

I feel bad blowing up my source in light of recent events, if you're truly curious about his identity, you're welcomed to PM me and I'll give you all the details about my source, so long as he stays private.

Its not shocking to me...I still have several friends in various NFL circles, and he is very respected in the league. In fact, many felt his 2007 coaching job after Kevin, the bad break in Den and Dall and the worst case of injuries in the league that year, was one of the better coaching jobs in the league. Some have even said that if we made the playoffs (as we had a chance to) he may have won coach of the year...Then last year he was again being spoken of in the coach of the year rumblings after the 6-2 start until it derailed. Again, most lay this on JP and Edwards struggles and the injuries more than DJ from the people I talk to.

Its the fans that are down on him the most. A friend of mine played one year for him in Chicago and he said that he gets more out of his guys than most beacuse people play hard for him.

His biggest problem in Buffalo has been lack of an established QB to lead this team and injuries, and hopefully with all the new weapons and OL additions, Edwards can make the leap forward this year and be that guy. All coaches make in game mistakes, but when the team isnt winning they get magnified. Mike Tomlin probably made more coaching mistakes than most other coaches this year, but it doesnt get talked about because they overcame them and won.

Yeah I like Dick as a person. He seems very smart and is probably pretty good to work for. He can't win games though, and his techniques don't seem to work on the field. On top of that he seems a bit unwilling to to change ever, so there isn't any hope he'll updates his tactics with the game.

So there just isn't much hope the Bills can win with the guy at the helm. End of story.

From what I've read, DJ is probably the most decent, respectable man you'll ever find . I think he's so honorable that he will not 'shoot' someone even if his own career depends on it, which is probably why he's so universally respected and admired.

Unfortunately for him, this is The BuffTown, we're impatient, hungry, maniacal, fanatical fans who haven't tasted the playoffs for 9 years, some of us remember all-to-well the Jim Kelly era where we scored literally 'at will', and if Jauron doesn't get us to the prom this season, we're gonna be calling for someone like...

Mike Leach

(Leach cont'd)

I don't think there's anyone who complains about Dick Jauron as a person. He seems to be very well liked by the players in the locker room. He seems like a nice guy and he seems to have good intentions.

All the locker room stuff is great, but you can't argue with his coaching tools that he's routinely messed up game after game, year after year. Challenges, timeouts, philosophy, and not putting the players in the best situations to succeed. These are ultimately direct lines to the head coach, and these are the areas he's failed this team in, and it shows in our record and inability to take make the playoffs since he's been here.

Again, he seems like a great person and fun guy to play for, but he just isn't getting it done on the field and in the win/loss column. He's had just one winning season in I believe, in nine or so total? Have to check that. The stars were aligned last year and he still couldn't take advantage.

I agree EN-TIRELY...

As a fan, I love Jauron...Probably one of the better coaches we've had since Marv...A top-notch person!

I want to root for him more-but I dont think he has what it takes to get this team to the next level...

Hopefully this year he can prove me wrong!

Its not shocking to me...I still have several friends in various NFL circles, and he is very respected in the league. In fact, many felt his 2007 coaching job after Kevin, the bad break in Den and Dall and the worst case of injuries in the league that year, was one of the better coaching jobs in the league. Some have even said that if we made the playoffs (as we had a chance to) he may have won coach of the year...Then last year he was again being spoken of in the coach of the year rumblings after the 6-2 start until it derailed. Again, most lay this on JP and Edwards struggles and the injuries more than DJ from the people I talk to.

Its the fans that are down on him the most. A friend of mine played one year for him in Chicago and he said that he gets more out of his guys than most beacuse people play hard for him.

His biggest problem in Buffalo has been lack of an established QB to lead this team and injuries, and hopefully with all the new weapons and OL additions, Edwards can make the leap forward this year and be that guy. All coaches make in game mistakes, but when the team isnt winning they get magnified. Mike Tomlin probably made more coaching mistakes than most other coaches this year, but it doesnt get talked about because they overcame them and won.

This is what I've been saying but people just accuse you of being a Jauron apologist. All coaches make mistakes but if you have enough talent, you can cover it up. People can say Jauron screwed up the end of the Cleveland game, but a lot of kickers would have made that kicker. At the end of the Jets game, if we didn't have a brainfart by teh JP brothers, people would love the attitude of Jauron for going for the jugular. Same thing with the Denver game and NE ones a while back.

Jauron isn't the best coach in the world obviously. But he isn't the worst and constantly fields one of the most disciplined teams in the NFL. People love to gloss over the fact that he has had crap at QB. As sad as it may seem, Trent Edwards is in the best situation for any Jauron QB to ever succeed. I look forward to DJ making a lot of people eat some crow.

Big Cat, I was calling for Dick Jauron to be the next head coach of the Bills, way back when Tom Donohoe hired Mike Mularkey. I was very happy when he was hired in Buffalo. I have no personal "in" with anyone with the Bears, Jags or Lions, but I have always heard nothing but great things about him. One of my best friends is a huge Bears fan, so I pay a little more attention to the comings and goings of the Bears, than I do some other teams. My buddy, and I, always felt that Jauron was kind of screwed in Chicago. He did okay in Jacksonville as DC, and you can't really hold anything against anyone who is associated with the Lions.

I have a personal connection with someone who works for the Buffalo Bills. They have nothing but the greatest of things to say about Jauron. This person was also very fond of Mike Mularkey. Not so much Gregg Williams. Coach Jauron, by all accounts, is very much liked by everyone involved with the Bills organization, is a standup guy, and is very thoughtful. His players love him.

All that said, he has been a major disappointment as head coach of the Bills, to me. I would love for him to succeed, but I am not that confident, even with a major upgrade in talent, he is going to get much more out of a team than he already has. He is a poor game day coach. How many times in the last three years, has he made some head scratching decision, only to explain that he "wasn't aware at the time" of what the situation was.

That might be "no big deal" to some, and you can point out game day blunders by coaches much more highly regarded than Jauron. But the truth is, as a coach, Jauron does not put his team in the best position to win, on a consistent basis. That is the most basic part of his job, and he doesn't do it well. The announcers in his corner always talk about how Jaurons' teams are "always prepared", and "don't quit" (cliche time), despite evidence to the contrary.

His teams seem to have a fragile psyche. Is that a reflection of the coach? You can't tell me, in those primetime meltdowns against the Cowboys in 2007, and the Browns in 2007, you couldn't see the end coming in both games.

To top it off, his teams have consistently come up small, when they needed to play big... he doesn't seem to inspire his players to play "over their head",so they don't really progress. I don't know that it is a condemnation of Jauron or his staff, but, ultimately, he is responsible. The guy doesn't get it done with the X's and O's, and he doesn't appear to have the fire in his belly to inspire a superior performance...so what does he bring to the field?

This is what I've been saying but people just accuse you of being a Jauron apologist. All coaches make mistakes but if you have enough talent, you can cover it up. People can say Jauron screwed up the end of the Cleveland game, but a lot of kickers would have made that kicker. At the end of the Jets game, if we didn't have a brainfart by teh JP brothers, people would love the attitude of Jauron for going for the jugular. Same thing with the Denver game and NE ones a while back.

Jauron isn't the best coach in the world obviously. But he isn't the worst and constantly fields one of the most disciplined teams in the NFL. People love to gloss over the fact that he has had crap at QB. As sad as it may seem, Trent Edwards is in the best situation for any Jauron QB to ever succeed. I look forward to DJ making a lot of people eat some crow.

I sincerely hope you're right - for DJ, Edwards, and mostly for all of us Bills fans.

If not, there's always...

Mike Leach

Big Cat, I was calling for Dick Jauron to be the next head coach of the Bills, way back when Tom Donohoe hired Mike Mularkey. I was very happy when he was hired in Buffalo. I have no personal "in" with anyone with the Bears, Jags or Lions, but I have always heard nothing but great things about him. One of my best friends is a huge Bears fan, so I pay a little more attention to the comings and goings of the Bears, than I do some other teams. My buddy, and I, always felt that Jauron was kind of screwed in Chicago. He did okay in Jacksonville as DC, and you can't really hold anything against anyone who is associated with the Lions.

I have a personal connection with someone who works for the Buffalo Bills. They have nothing but the greatest of things to say about Jauron. This person was also very fond of Mike Mularkey. Not so much Gregg Williams. Coach Jauron, by all accounts, is very much liked by everyone involved with the Bills organization, is a standup guy, and is very thoughtful. His players love him.

All that said, he has been a major disappointment as head coach of the Bills, to me. I would love for him to succeed, but I am not that confident, even with a major upgrade in talent, he is going to get much more out of a team than he already has. He is a poor game day coach. How many times in the last three years, has he made some head scratching decision, only to explain that he "wasn't aware at the time" of what the situation was.

That might be "no big deal" to some, and you can point out game day blunders by coaches much more highly regarded than Jauron. But the truth is, as a coach, Jauron does not put his team in the best position to win, on a consistent basis. That is the most basic part of his job, and he doesn't do it well. The announcers in his corner always talk about how Jaurons' teams are "always prepared", and "don't quit" (cliche time), despite evidence to the contrary.

His teams seem to have a fragile psyche. Is that a reflection of the coach? You can't tell me, in those primetime meltdowns against the Cowboys in 2007, and the Browns in 2007, you couldn't see the end coming in both games.

To top it off, his teams have consistently come up small, when they needed to play big... he doesn't seem to inspire his players to play "over their head",so they don't really progress. I don't know that it is a condemnation of Jauron or his staff, but, ultimately, he is responsible. The guy doesn't get it done with the X's and O's, and he doesn't appear to have the fire in his belly to inspire a superior performance...so what does he bring to the field?

Nice post and you make some good points. But looking at our talent the last three years, including 2 with JP Losman and a 2nd year Edwards, what were your expectations? Because I think (and I don't believe you at all), but they were probably too high. We just weren't good enough talent wise. Now after this year, there will be no excuses IMO.

Well, if you were trying to explain away why JP Losman or Trent Edwards haven't done better in the NFL, you can justifiably say that their coach (coaches) haven't put them in the best position to win. At some point, a coach has to figure out how to win games with the guys on his roster. He put the roster together, remember? He put the coaching staff together.

I wasn't going to mention it, but since you braught it up, a better coach wouldn't marry himself to a defenesive scheme that he has not had the personal to run, effectively for three years. It is idiodic. You give him a pass the first year...but two years down the road, and your defense can play decently for 3 quarters of a game, only to collapse in the final quarter, you have to wonder if the coaches couldn't be doing something better.

Well, if you were trying to explain away why JP Losman or Trent Edwards haven't done better in the NFL, you can justifiably say that their coach (coaches) haven't put them in the best position to win. At some point, a coach has to figure out how to win games with the guys on his roster. He put the roster together, remember? He put the coaching staff together.

I wasn't going to mention it, but since you braught it up, a better coach wouldn't marry himself to a defenesive scheme that he has not had the personal to run, effectively for three years. It is idiodic. You give him a pass the first year...but two years down the road, and your defense can play decently for 3 quarters of a game, only to collapse in the final quarter, you have to wonder if the coaches couldn't be doing something better.

If Jesus Christ was a NFL coach, he won't win consistently with JP. The more years we get away from the 2006 season, we will realize how good of a job Jauron & Fairchild (who is doing an awesome job at CSU) did making him look like a pro QB. It was a miracle.

Nice post and you make some good points. But looking at our talent the last three years, including 2 with JP Losman and a 2nd year Edwards, what were your expectations? Because I think (and I don't believe you at all), but they were probably too high. We just weren't good enough talent wise. Now after this year, there will be no excuses IMO.

C'mon C.Biscuit, you have been around here long enough to know, my expectations for the Bills have been pretty low, for a very long time. Let's just say, a 7-9 season has been a pleasant surprise for me...I predicted 6-10 last year... :rolleyes:

If Jesus Christ was a NFL coach, he won't win consistently with JP. The more years we get away from the 2006 season, we will realize how good of a job Jauron & Fairchild (who is doing an awesome job at CSU) did making him look like a pro QB. It was a miracle.

JP may blow (and I am convinced he does), but there were some horrendous decisions made during his tenure as a starter, that cost the Bills games... sometimes it just takes one mind numbing stupid decision to lose a game. A good coach has to realize, his QB will make some of those stupid mistakes, so he can't afford to.

Well, in all seriousness I just wanted to teehee a little about having an on-going association with an "insider!"

Give me some credit, the guy's my dad's age. I'm too young to roll as deep as some of you old balls!

In all seriousness though, I'm about to make an analogy that I'm about to preface with the following: every now and again you have to share the TV with the Mrs. and Friends.

Dick Jauron reminds of me the charming neighbor who lives above Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica. He pisses them off SO much, but every time go upstairs to confront him, they end up apologizing and they always return cooing about what a nice guy he is.

The fictional character is SO charming, that he's never shown. It adds to his mystique.

At this point, Dick Jauron's niceness and charm are equally hyperbolic!

What I think Jauron needs is some old blood to go with the fresh blood coaches he has hired. Maybe as consultants or something to play devil's advocate to his coaches' plans. Many older coaches stopped coaching due to sheer number of hours they work with little outside life.

I also think they need to rebuild scouting department which has never truely recovered since Butler left and many of the scouts left after their contracts ran out.