But Obama's comments blaming the company's secured creditors for derailing the plan should be frightening to anybody holding any piece of corporate debt. Put simply, he's willing to cast aside unambiguous laws to favor a political constituency. This in turn will further keep the private capital on the sidelines, because now everyone will have to recalibrate their return expectations. Without private capital returning, there will be no recovery in the financial sector and you will see a mountain of bankruptcies in 2010. In effect, you will have aided the Depression you were trying to avoid by pouring trillions into the economy. Except that now you're sitting in a Depression after having thrown trillions into the sink hole, with an aging population and no growth for a decade.

Not a financial guy, but saw this article yesterday, and I suspect this is what you're referring to in the above statement about blaming creditors for derailing his plan.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said at the daily briefing that the hedge funds and investment firms were playing games.

"They tried to, in a sense, play chicken with the government for a better deal, and nobody blinked," Gibb said. Later, Gibbs said the hedge funds and investment firms were within their rights to reject the deal, but that didn't diminish Obama's frustration or anger.

"I'm not sure the president's problem with them is based on their rights," Gibbs said. "I think the president's problem with them is based on the notion that, as he said, and as many members of the team have said, and as many members involved in this agreement have done, which is make sacrifices in order for a company to move forward."

The Associated Press reported that a group of funds identifying themselves as 20 of Chrysler's "non-TARP lenders" released a statement saying they had been sidelined during negotiations between lenders and the government. The group, which said it holds $1 billion in Chrysler debt, complained that the four banks were "obviously conflicted" because they had accepted money from the government's Troubled Asset Relief Program while the funds had not gotten TARP money.

The group said its offer to the Treasury Department to reduce its claim to 40 percent was "flatly rejected or ignored."

Interesting stuff. Thanks, GG.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...what a mess! It looks like Chrysler is done and we (taxpayers) will continue to have to propr up this mess of a company for quite some time. The (mis)management is mind-boggling. So the UAW is going to manage the company? Does anyone in their right mind think this will be a successful business? That is, of course, once it emerges from a prolonged bankruptcy.

Pouring more money into a hole...awesome!

Wow...what a mess! It looks like Chrysler is done and we (taxpayers) will continue to have to propr up this mess of a company for quite some time. The (mis)management is mind-boggling. So the UAW is going to manage the company? Does anyone in their right mind think this will be a successful business? That is, of course, once it emerges from a prolonged bankruptcy.

Pouring more money into a hole...awesome!

Did you even try to get past some headline on newsmax? Chrysler isn't done, it's reorganizing. That's the whole point, to end up with a viable long-term privately own company. And given that most of the stakeholders have already agreed to the reorg, the bankruptcy will be relatively short.

But Obama's comments blaming the company's secured creditors for derailing the plan should be frightening to anybody holding any piece of corporate debt. Put simply, he's willing to cast aside unambiguous laws to favor a political constituency. This in turn will further keep the private capital on the sidelines, because now everyone will have to recalibrate their return expectations. Without private capital returning, there will be no recovery in the financial sector and you will see a mountain of bankruptcies in 2010. In effect, you will have aided the Depression you were trying to avoid by pouring trillions into the economy. Except that now you're sitting in a Depression after having thrown trillions into the sink hole, with an aging population and no growth for a decade.

Still waiting for amateur hour to end.

Yep. And lets not forget that the hedge funds/other secured creditors have investors that they have to answer to. If they took a worse deal than they could have gotten in bankruptcy, they would be subject to a myriad of investor lawsuits. I'm guessing the government did not offer to indemnify the secured creditors against any and all investor claims related to taking a bad deal on Chrysler debt.

A lot is riding on the rulings of the bankruptcy judge here, I don't envy his position.

Yep. And lets not forget that the hedge funds/other secured creditors have investors that they have to answer to. If they took a worse deal than they could have gotten in bankruptcy, they would be subject to a myriad of investor lawsuits. I'm guessing the government did not offer to indemnify the secured creditors against any and all investor claims related to taking a bad deal on Chrysler debt.

A lot is riding on the rulings of the bankruptcy judge here, I don't envy his position.

Of course, what's to stop the administration from running roughshod over bankruptcy laws, given that they have with almost every other law, rule, and corporate practice so far. They already established that shareholders have no rights...now bond holders don't either?

I think a bankruptcy filing for Chrysler was pretty much inevitable to begin with...but I'm still stunned at how involved the federal government is in driving them to it.

Of course, what's to stop the administration from running roughshod over bankruptcy laws, given that they have with almost every other law, rule, and corporate practice so far. They already established that shareholders have no rights...now bond holders don't either?

I think a bankruptcy filing for Chrysler was pretty much inevitable to begin with...but I'm still stunned at how involved the federal government is in driving them to it.

Well, the corporations have run roughshod over pretty much all the corporate laws, rules and practices so far, too.

One thing that made me laugh last night hearing some of this nonsense was that under the new reorganization, the members of the UAW may not get overtime until after they work 40 hours a week. :thumbsup: What a concession, huh?

And the fact that a major contributor to its demise, namely UAW, actually gets a stake in Chrysler now. Jesus, I swear these libs are having the absolute time of their life...shoving their Tony Montana face in a coke-covered table of America. Once big whiff and...."Aaaaahhh...then when you get the money, you get the power...."

I particularly love the part where Chrysler is going into BK, and yet they still need ANOTHER $6B to keep things going since the original $4B didn't get it done back when BK was the best answer in the first place.

Part of me feels like they have no idea what they're doing, and part of me feels like they no precisely what they're doing.

Did you even try to get past some headline on newsmax? Chrysler isn't done, it's reorganizing. That's the whole point, to end up with a viable long-term privately own company. And given that most of the stakeholders have already agreed to the reorg, the bankruptcy will be relatively short.

You sure about this? I'm not. That's my point.

• 2 weeks later...

Indicating that someone got the memo. Today's email from corporate security:

New York's Annual Fleet Week festivities begin tomorrow and will continue through Tuesday, May 26th. The Fleet Week celebrations include flyovers of military aircraft, including one scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, May 20th, at 11:45 a.m in which jet fighter planes will fly up the Hudson River from the Verrazano Bridge to the George Washington Bridge at a low altitude. Additional aircraft flyovers and aerial demonstrations may also take place as part of the Fleet Week activities.

Indicating that someone got the memo. Today's email from corporate security:

Too bad they didn't mention that F-16s would be screaming over the DC region at 5am this morning. That was friggin' loud this morning...like waking up in a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. The wife thought we were under attack.

Too bad they didn't mention that F-16s would be screaming over the DC region at 5am this morning. That was friggin' loud this morning...like waking up in a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. The wife thought we were under attack.

I heard the announcements on WTOP.