Levi Jones to be released

Am I the only one who thinks we should keep Kelsay, if at a discounted rate (which he'd be sure to take)? Schobel is going to be 32, Maybin istill playing at SS weight, and Chris Ellis has done nothing to prove he's anywhere close to ready. I don't like Kelsay's production (or lack thereof), but we haven't addressed that position well enough to just send him packing in my opinion.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't think anyone of us knows how healthy he is, if he has anything left in the tank, how much it would cost to sign him, etc. The report people were referencing seemed to say that the Bengals were going to keep him as their LT if they didn't draft the guy they liked (Andre Smith) with the 6th pick. So perhaps he is at least healthy enough to bring in and take a look at. It would be foolish, IMO, not to do you due dillies.

If this guy is going to be traded OR released, why wouldn't we wait until he is released?

Because then, he's on the open market to 31 other clubs. He has over four years in so it's not a waiver wire thing.

If he gets cut, I'd say that they think he can't do it anymore, or it's one of those cash due things. Like Dockery, IIRC.

Jones has had more than a few lousy games.

No team shoves a good LT down the walk and out the gate, if he can still get it done.

He's also only started 28 of 48 games over the last 3 years...

Just so people think that these numbers were averaged, they were not.

Levi has started 10/16 (2008)

and 23/32 (2007-2008)

and 28/48 (2006-2007-2008)

so, yes, he has been injured, at times,each of the past three years, he has started 23 or the last 32 games and played in 25 of the last 32 games.

As to trade vs wait for release: trade is of value so you get his current contract and you do not compete against the other 30 teams for his services

BUT you have to give up something for this. I would not offer a 5th. I would offer a 7th and maybe make it conditional.

FYI: Jones' current contract: On July 25, 2006, Jones signed a six year, $40 million contract extension with the Bengals. The deal had $16.3 in guarantees back in 2006. I would imagine much of that was already paid. I assume his contract pays about $6 mil per year for the last 3 years.

In my opinion, if they accept the 7th rounder, and he passes a physical, I would make the deal.

He MIGHT get way more than that on the free market

Per NFL.com player profile, he's started 89 out of 94 games since he came into the league in 2002. He's only 29. His salary is currently only about $4m per year. I'd much rather sign Jones to a contract and have a natural LT play LT than try to fit someone else at LT like Walker. Walker is a MUCH better RT. Not only would it upgrade the LT position, but it would upgrade the whole line by allowing Walker to move back to RT. Chamber to be a back-up and let us plug the new C/G additions into the best possible spot.

DO. IT.

At this point in the offseason, the Bills are not going to find anything much better that Jones.

Per NFL.com player profile, he's started 89 out of 94 games since he came into the league in 2002. He's only 29. His salary is currently only about $4m per year. I'd much rather sign Jones to a contract and have a natural LT play LT than try to fit someone else at LT like Walker. Walker is a MUCH better RT. Not only would it upgrade the LT position, but it would upgrade the whole line by allowing Walker to move back to RT. Chamber to be a back-up and let us plug the new C/G additions into the best possible spot.

DO. IT.

At this point in the offseason, the Bills are not going to find anything much better that Jones.

per profootballtalk.com:

"Per NFLPA records, Jones is under contract for four more years, at base salaries of $3 million in 2009, $3.75 million in 2010, $4.55 million in 2011, and $5 million in 2012."

Again, IF the Bills can make the trade on the cheap...make it. We DO have the extra 6th rounder from the Uggles.

..just a suggestion :lol:

DO. IT.

Your points are valid. If the Bills sign him and play him at LT it leaves the right side of their line intact. At the same time i am not passionate about getting Jones on the roster. The Bungles didn't draft a LT because they love the guy.

DO. IT.

Well, he started 89 of the 94 games that he played in. He was injured for 18 more games over that time period, almost all of which were in the last three years. It's hard to say right now if he is totally shot, injury prone, or just plain unlucky lately. The first four years he only missed one game total. He seems to be breaking down to me, but we need to be a doctor to know I guess.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneLe23.htm

Your points are valid. If the Bills sign him and play him at LT it leaves the right side of their line intact. At the same time i am not passionate about getting Jones on the roster. The Bungles didn't draft a LT because they love the guy.

I agree with that. I mean, it's certainly not the IDEAL scenario and there will be some risk. We wouldn't be putting the 'Electric Company' out on the field. But, given the current alternatives, I think this might be the best one.

can someone who has seen a lot of him verify that he isn't another Olineman cut from the same mold as Dockery, Fowler, etc?

You know, big BIG guys who act like little pussycats on the field?

If he fits in with the new, mean bad-attitude guys that we want at Oline, then sure. If he's another big body with no fire, then no...

You know, it could be nothing...BUT...

The Bengals did cut a lot of dead weight today, 5 players to be exact...yet Levi Jones was just "rumored" to be released OR traded.

I'm wondering, would the Bengals have released him earlier if they didnt already have a trade partner in mind? And would the Bills have drafted two guys with return ability if they didnt plan on trading Roscoe?

Maybe I'm just seeing signs when there are none.

Here are the other FA options right now:

Name Pos Status Wt Experience Former Team Current Team

Bridges, Jeremy T Released 326 6th Season CAR TBD

Davis, Anthony T UFA 322 5th Season STL TBD

Foster, George T UFA 338 6th Season DET TBD

Gandy, Wayne T UFA 315 15th Season ATL TBD

Goldberg, Adam T UFA 318 6th Season STL TBD

Harris, Kwame T Released 320 6th Season OAK TBD

Jennings, Jonas T Released 328 8th Season SF TBD

Johnson, Marcus T UFA 321 4th Season MIN TBD

McCoy, Patrick T UFA 328 Rookie ATL TBD

Miller, Fred T UFA 314 13th Season CHI TBD

Petitti, Rob T UFA 327 4th Season STL TBD

Runyan, Jon T UFA 330 13th Season PHI TBD

Salaam, Ephraim T Released 310 11th Season HOU TBD

Slaughter, Chad T UFA 340 7th Season BAL TBD

Tauscher, Mark T UFA 316 9th Season GB TBD

Whittle, Jason T UFA 297 10th Season BUF TBD

Clabo, Tyson OT RFA 332 3rd Season ATL TBD

Colombo, Marc OT UFA 318 7th Season DAL TBD

Stokes, Barry OT UFA 310 10th Season NE TBD

Strief, Zach OT RFA 320 3rd Season NO TBD

Just so people think that these numbers were averaged, they were not.

Levi has started 10/16 (2008)

and 23/32 (2007-2008)

and 28/48 (2006-2007-2008)

so, yes, he has been injured, at times,each of the past three years, he has started 23 or the last 32 games and played in 25 of the last 32 games.

As to trade vs wait for release: trade is of value so you get his current contract and you do not compete against the other 30 teams for his services

BUT you have to give up something for this. I would not offer a 5th. I would offer a 7th and maybe make it conditional.

FYI: Jones' current contract: On July 25, 2006, Jones signed a six year, $40 million contract extension with the Bengals. The deal had $16.3 in guarantees back in 2006. I would imagine much of that was already paid. I assume his contract pays about $6 mil per year for the last 3 years.

In my opinion, if they accept the 7th rounder, and he passes a physical, I would make the deal.

He MIGHT get way more than that on the free market

How do you make a 7th rounder conditional, exactly? If he gives up xx sacks, it goes from a 7th rounder to a bag of footballs??

Levi Jones was more of turnstyle then Peters the last few years

injuries have decimated his ability to play at the NFL level

Shhh. Don't ruin their fun.