What about Chris Ellis?

This coaching staff has show its reticence in putting talented players on the field that aren't veterans. They did it with Fred Jackson. They did it with Stevie Johnson. I am sure there are others I am forgetting.

Last year was a bit of a mixed bag in this regard. On the one hand they really wanted Hardy to step up and gave him ample opportunity to do so. On the other hand they very grudgingly gave Leodis McKelvin playing time which culminated in McGee getting torched by Ted Ginn while trying to chase him around the field wearing a bulky knee brace.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This coaching staff has show its reticence in putting talented players on the field that aren't veterans. They did it with Fred Jackson. They did it with Stevie Johnson. I am sure there are others I am forgetting.

Some of the others you are forgetting are Poz and Marshawn. When players obviously play well enough, Jauron has no problems starting them. When they need more time, or when there is someone better ahead of them, then he does make them wait. As he should. I'm pretty sure that one of our two rookie OLs will start from day one, though I would only be guessing to say which one. Maybin will probably be starting on passing downs from day one.

Jackson, Johnson and the others either weren't ready or were behind a player who was playing better.

Hardly and Ellis.

Can we just forget about last years's draft and focus on this year's?

And Bowen & Fine.

I didn't read all the posts but want to share a comment I heard yesterday from Bill 'Red' Polian: "Marv Levy, my old mentor, once said: '"The biggest one year jump for an NFL player is from year 1 to year 2'". Polian believes in this as well and it makes a lot of sense. Last years draft does seem like a complete loss given their virtual non-existance on the field and compared to the year-before's class. If nothing else, let's give 'Wild Bill' and Marv the benefit of doubt and see who JUMPS up this year from that draft. I have major doubts about Hardy & Ellis but Bowen & Fine could really surprize.

And Bowen & Fine.

I didn't read all the posts but want to share a comment I heard yesterday from Bill 'Red' Polian: "Marv Levy, my old mentor, once said: '"The biggest one year jump for an NFL player is from year 1 to year 2'". Polian believes in this as well and it makes a lot of sense. Last years draft does seem like a complete loss given their virtual non-existance on the field and compared to the year-before's class. If nothing else, let's give 'Wild Bill' and Marv the benefit of doubt and see who JUMPS up this year from that draft. I have major doubts about Hardy & Ellis but Bowen & Fine could really surprize.

I think the last years class also was bit by the Injury bug....I think besides McKelvin everyone else was injured for a period of time. Also, last years draft besides the 1st 2 picks was just a head scratcher and seemed to be re-populating the STs. I still wish the Bills had taken a flyer or two on OL and DL and a QB with those 6th and 7th rounders....

My take on Ellis last year is the speed of the game ovewhelmed him which is not uncommon for a rookie. VT just sends their front 7 players upfield year after year and they get by on athletic ability. The NFL is complicated and Ellis looked to be slow to react last year. I bet a year of being exposed to the game will help him in 09.

No because if a rookie doesn't contribute a lot, he is a bust. Him and Hardy suck and will never see the playing field ever again.

:lol:

:w00t::blink::w00t:

Well said.

And may I add, that the current Bills' coaches don't make it very easy for rookies or 2nd year players to have much impact, since they bury them on the bench for every little mistake they make. Pretty stupid, for coaches that seem to be in love with finishing 7-9-0 year in and year out.

I heard Ellis had some good pass rushing skills, and of course he could make some noise this season, as long as he memorizes his playbook cover to cover and never misses an assignment, dammit!