Post-Draft Press Conference

Virgil

Didn't see this posted anywhere

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...55-149314065c67

First off, I'd like to give props to the people asking questions. They really grilled the fact that the Bills didn't draft a Tackle and that they drafted two CB's to close out the draft. It's good to hear that the insanity going on here at TBD is being heard outside our little world.

With that being said, these were the things that I found interesting:

~Was surprised Nelson was there in the 4th. Then never planned on taking him in the 2nd. Makes me wonder what they would have done if he wasn't there.

~At no time during their picks what there a OT rated anywhere near as high as who they took. They discussed it before the draft and committed to not reach just out of desperation.

~Focused more on interior of line, for two reasons:

1) They want to pound the ball more to make the passing game better

2) This, in combination with now having to respect the TE's, really make every other position that much more open.

~Really paying attention to the UDFA market

Flipping around on the Bills Video site, Maybin and Wood are incredibly well spoken. They have nothing but great things to say about the team/franchise/city and have had exposure to the Bills before they were selected in one way or another. Of course they are told to say certain, cliche things, but it seems very genuine IMO.

I went from being satisfied to very excited about the Maybin pick. You can tell he has an awesome work ethic and drive to be the best he can be.

Didn't see this posted anywhere

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...55-149314065c67

~At no time during their picks what there a OT rated anywhere near as high as who they took. They discussed it before the draft and committed to not reach just out of desperation.

~Focused more on interior of line, for two reasons:

1) They want to pound the ball more to make the passing game better

2) This, in combination with now having to respect the TE's, really make every other position that much more open.

~Really paying attention to the UDFA market

The Bills draft team were very intelligent in the way they approached this draft. There was NO WAY they were going to get a guy that was going to come close to replacing Peters. Even if they had traded up, gave up picks and paid big bucks, the best they could have done would have been to have an unproven rookie they were going to pay the same or more money than the money for which Peters signed with Philly. For them to have done what Jamie Dukes and all of these talking heads were screaming for them to do, to reach for an OT, would have been disastrous.

Instead, they stuck with their board and the original plan: Get the top rated pass rusher in the entire draft, and then rebuild the Oline from the inside out, taking the highest rated players at the guard and center positions. This builds a foundation for our O-line in a way that hasn't happened in nearly 20 years. Maybe we can actually convert 3rd and short more often than not for a change this coming season.

Moreover, they got a guy who is considered one of the better if not best ball-hawking DBs who, because of that, projects to a safety but can also play nickel Corner in a pinch, and a tight end who while not the refined product that Pettigrew is, is one that is a willing blocker (just needs to be coached up and bulked up a bit) and who has the potential to stretch the deep middle like Pettigrew will NEVER do.

The Bills took the best player available in combination with need through 5 rounds. Yes, they needed a safety who can actually play the damn ball and make INts. Obviously, they felt that the OLB/safety from Oklahoma was the best guy for that position available at the point in the draft.

I laugh my a$$ off at all these media idiots who know nothing of the Bills roster who are giving the Bills a crappy mark on their draft because they didn't get an OT.

I got a question. Are microphones at a premium, or what? Why can't they have 3 mics on the table? I keep seeing these interviews and they're all trying to pass the mics around and getting all confused. I don't get it.

I got a question. Are microphones at a premium, or what? Why can't they have 3 mics on the table? I keep seeing these interviews and they're all trying to pass the mics around and getting all confused. I don't get it.

Haha, it's funny you noticed that. I was thinking the same exact thing when I was watching the press conferences the other day. Unbelievable really.

You don't want three of them screaming on top of their heads at the SAME TIME

Well, we know that Golisano promised to eat one if the Sabres didn't make the playoffs, so that's where one of them went.... :thumbsup: