Bills picks vs. top 100 consensus

Billsguy

I took the consensus from 7 of the top 100 NFL draft boards and averaged the rankings for each of the Bills top 5 picks.

The consensus average results:

Maybin consensus pick was #15, the Bills took him at 11 (mild reach)

Wood consensus #45, the Bills took him at 28 (moderate reach)

Byrd consensus #63, the Bills took him at 42 (moderate reach)

Levitre consensus #64, the Bills took him at 51 (mild reach)

Nelson consensus #51, the Bills took him at 121 (very good value)

Conclusion:

The Bills filled areas of need. This is typical to reach a little because you have to bypass players who may rank higher, but don't fit your specific team needs.

The best value was Nelson by a mile. Overall, I think the Bills get decent marks for finally recognizing that line play is the key foundation of a team. It remains to be seen how the draft will ultimately grade out.

They still don't look like a playoff team on paper, but stranger things have happened.

I wonder how Kelsay/Denney feel about Maybin? I also wonder how Ko "I'm worth millions" Simpson feels about Byrd?

Bye Bye Ko!

I took the consensus from 7 of the top 100 NFL draft boards and averaged the rankings for each of the Bills top 5 picks.

The consensus average results:

Maybin consensus pick was #15, the Bills took him at 11 (mild reach)

Wood consensus #45, the Bills took him at 28 (moderate reach)

Byrd consensus #63, the Bills took him at 42 (moderate reach)

Levitre consensus #64, the Bills took him at 51 (mild reach)

Nelson consensus #51, the Bills took him at 121 (very good value)

Conclusion:

The conclusion I've formed over the years from following the draft publications is that they're usually 'off' in their grading by about 15-20 slots, usually to the high side. I suspect its because the scouts they talk to are being coy with their true ratings, so as to 'hide' the guys they really like.

I'm glad the FO seems to be focusing on 'football temprement' and love for the game rather than a nebulous stack ranking of some draftnik's perceived value rating. So far, so good (although I hope Maybin can find a way to play his speed game at 255-260 lbs).