Chris Brown: Nelson might be the best pick so far.....

SKOOBY

Nelson might be best pick so far

Chris Brown

Posted April 26th, 2009

Tags: Shawn Nelson

What a fantastic value the Bills got in Shawn Nelson in round 4. In terms of talent and value this might be Buffalo’s best pick so far this weekend.

The guy ran a 4.52 and is a pretty polished route runner, so I anticipate him contributing in the passing game right away. Trent is going to love throwing to this guy.

This guy is a difference maker in the passing game, and the kind of player that answers Ralph Wilson’s request for more talent. Nelson is talent personified.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/26/n...st-pick-so-far/

Trent has every opportunity to flourish this season.

You do realize that there's a significant possibility that not one of his 6-7 offensive lineman will be the same guy in the same spot as last year.

Like it or not, that will create some issues.

You do realize that there's a significant possibility that not one of his 6-7 offensive lineman will be the same guy in the same spot as last year.

Maybe not a negative way.

thats not exactly true. He still is playing behind a suspect O-line. think of this line as the NY Jets front line when they drafted mangold and ferguson 3 years ago. It's going to take time for the rookies to step up and we need to see still how langston hold up long term at LT. I am less concerned about Chambers at RT, he has the size for the position. lets just realize trent still needs time to throw to all these suddenly awesome weapons he has.

And there could be two rookies AND Demetrius Bell starting on the OL AND a rookie TE. Realistically, that's a bad setup for a QB.

That said, Nelson is a nice prospect. He is a far better football player coming out than Kevin Everett. He's one dimensional, but Nelson is the most talented TE they've had since McKellar/Metzelaars.

And there could be two rookies AND Demetrius Bell starting on the OL AND a rookie TE. Realistically, that's a bad setup for a QB.

That said, Nelson is a nice prospect. He is a far better football player coming out than Kevin Everett. He's one dimensional, but Nelson is the most talented TE they've had since McKellar/Metzelaars.

ah-hem... Lonnie Johnson? :thumbsup:

True ... but hopefully they'll all be in training camp, and the coaching staff can settle on a lineup early enough to get them a lot of work together. Still not sure I'm looking forward to Opening Day in Foxborough with this line, but at least there appears to be some talent to work with.

ah-hem... Lonnie Johnson? :P

Stop that. :thumbsup:

If the O-line solidifies and gives him time he now has every weapon a QB could ask for.

WR:

Evans

Owens

Reed

Johnson

Hardy

RB:

Lynch

Jackson

Rhodes

all can catch the ball very well

TE:

Fine

Nelson

:P

Very happy about this pick.

He won't be our opening day TE starter, but I'm sure we will use him and create mismatches.

FWIW, Mayock was pretty high on Nelson as well. He said Nelson showed that he was a "willing" blocker and performed better than expected in blocking drills. Throw into the mix that he's an excellent receiver and we got ourselves a fantastic selection :thumbsup:

There will only be one rookie (Wood, mostly likely, at LG) starting. It will be Walker/Bell at LT, Wood, Hangartner, Butler, and Bell/Walker.

As long as they can keep Trent upright we should be pretty solid.

Having everyone in camp and OTA's will make a huge difference.

PTR

ah-hem... Lonnie Johnson? ;)

True ... but hopefully they'll all be in training camp, and the coaching staff can settle on a lineup early enough to get them a lot of work together. Still not sure I'm looking forward to Opening Day in Foxborough with this line, but at least there appears to be some talent to work with.

Stop that. :nana:

At least we can look forward to Maybin and Schobel knocking Brady on his azz a few times in the game!

I thought it was Lonnie :thumbsup: ing Johnson. :unsure:

At least we can look forward to Maybin and Schobel knocking Brady on his azz a few times in the game!

I thought it was Lonnie :thumbsup: ing Johnson. :unsure:

Actually, I believe the unofficial TBD Stylebook cites "Friggin' Lonnie Johnson" as the correct usage. Think either Harv (albany, n.y.) or Petrino came up with that one ... but damn, that was a long time ago.