Pedigree (not Pettigrew)

Many folks here were excited about Brian Robiskie, Clay Matthews and Chase Coffman because of the fact their fathers (and in the case of Matthews, his uncle also) were excellent NFL players.

I'm still a bit torn by the Jairus Byrd selection...Everette Brown and Connor Barwin were both on the board when we took Byrd. I realize we had already drafted Aaron Maybin but Jacksonville last year took two pass rushers in rounds 1-2 last year with Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves.

But I digress. One of the things I love about Jairus Byrd is that his Dad, Gill Byrd is a two-time Pro Bowler with the San Diego Chargers. In addition, he's the Chargers all-time career interception leader with 42 picks. In 2006 he was hired as a defensive quality control coach for the Chicago Bears.

So basically Jairus Byrd has an excellent pedigree. That makes me like the pick a bit more.

Ah, an argument with coherent points, how refreshing.

Yes, Jacksonville took 2 DE's last year, but looking at our roster, it seems improbable we would make such a move considering the guys we already have. It would, for all intents and purposes, be throwing in the towel on last years 3rd round pick Ellis. The guy deserves a shot before his spot is not taken by 1, but 2 guys.

He may just end up being a starter at FS this year. 17 is a lot of interceptions. If he does win that job, I think this pick validates itself.

The interception total is very impressive. On top of that, he had 53 passes defensed over his college career. So that's 70 passes he got his hands on in 39 career games. That's very impressive.

Ah, an argument with coherent points, how refreshing.

Yes, Jacksonville took 2 DE's last year, but looking at our roster, it seems improbable we would make such a move considering the guys we already have. It would, for all intents and purposes, be throwing in the towel on last years 3rd round pick Ellis. The guy deserves a shot before his spot is not taken by 1, but 2 guys.

This is true. It's tough having two rookie pass rushers, even the best tend to take time to develop. Harvey and Grove did little last year. Ellis meanwhile has one year under his belt and may be positioned to make some contributions this year. I guess I would say that you can never have enough pass rushers and you should draft at least one every year, witness the Giants taking Clint Sintim and the Chargers taking Larry English.

You assume the Bills drafted Maybin to play DE. I still believe the Bills may have something else in mind for that position. I see Maybin playing OLB.

I think Maybin will play at DE yes but that would not exclude drafting another DE anyways. Maybin played LDE extensively so it would be possible if we had drafted Everette Brown that they would play opposite sides and if we had drafted Connor Barwin that one would play DE and the other LB. Both Maybin and Barwin are viewed as tweener swingmen so there would be no problem fitting the parts together IMO.

Anyways my original point is that not only was Byrd's dad an NFL player, he was an outstanding NFL player and that makes me feel that much better about the pick.

brown and barwin, both of whom i kinda liked, are project guys with lots of question marks. maybin is the most gifted natural pass rusher in the draft by far. quick, hungry, hard working, great reaction time, super long arms, good upper body strength. the knock on maybin is being light and not good on the run -- both jayson taylor and aaron schoble had the same knock be grew to be stud run defenders in the nfl.

maybin has all the tools to get to the passer THIS YEAR. i don't see how any pass rusher grades above him.

brown and barwin, both of whom i kinda liked, are project guys with lots of question marks. maybin is the most gifted natural pass rusher in the draft by far. quick, hungry, hard working, great reaction time, super long arms, good upper body strength. the knock on maybin is being light and not good on the run -- both jayson taylor and aaron schoble had the same knock be grew to be stud run defenders in the nfl.

maybin has all the tools to get to the passer THIS YEAR. i don't see how any pass rusher grades above him.

You didn't read the entire thread. The discussion was not about taking Brown or Barwin instead of Maybin..., it was about taking one of them at #42 instead of Jairus Byrd, to play with Maybin.

The point is that Brown or Barwin at #42 are great values. It's amazing in particular that Brown was available at #42.