Official Draft Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he's more of a roll the dice kind of player because right now he is nothing more then a situational pass rusher that had one good year and right now isnt an every down player and you expect more then that from the 11th pick of the draft

didnt think that was that hard to figure out

I think he fits in well with what we are trying to do. Whether we can get done what we are trying to do is another question which goes to whether you have confidence in Jauron's D, but in terms of what he brings to the table in terms of demographics and performance for PSU, I think there is little question he fits well.

This team is not one with a static 3/4 or 4/3 set-up. They deliberately play their 4 DL positions in waves, The fact he does not have the experience of being a 3 or 4 down player is of little consequence since he is not going to be used to play even 3 downs as a Bills player.

I think it also appears to be the case that he is being brought in as a situational pass rusher, but this team so badly needs help in pass rush situations I have no problem with us acquiring a player who is expected to help the pass rush immediately.

Schobel and Kelsay are the starting DEs on this team and actually the FO has parked so much cap money on these two that they better start in terms of use of cash. I think these two getting the lionshare of the calls when we need run stuffing is fine by me. Maybin is going to be used primarily on 3rd down and on 2nd and long nd if he makes a noticeable impact in this role (which his MO of mutant speed and taking tight turns and great lines for the tackle when running the outside rush means perhaps he can contribute immediately).

The questions I would have about him (or in fact any rookie who is not an elite enough player to go off the board in the first ten picks are not whether he can play 3 downs (he is not gonna be used that way in our D even if he could) but instead:

1. Is he just simply a pass rusher or is he most easily defeated by running right at him or putting lots of bodies in the rushing lanes?

We'll see when he actually plays against pros, but the initial read that generally he played strong side for PSU and having to wade through the TE and that he already has shown the ability to make a good second move as he registered 12 sacks last year bodes well.

2. Can he cover the short zone on passes?

The fact that he was usually lined up over the TE gives me some hope he has learned to read whether the TE was gonna block or go out. The Bills and most NFL teams run a bit of the zone blitz and demand of the TE that he occaisionally cover the short zone and let the LB come in on a surprise rush. The fact Maybin has a rep for a great first step and mutant speed means that opposing OCs and opponents will need to account for him on every pass play and as such he may do an awful lot to make the SLB an even more effective zone blitz guy if Maybin attracts the attention of 1 or 2 blockers even if he is actually dropping into the short zone.

3. Is he such a rush only guy that his presence simply telegraphs how we are gonna play the D?

For the reasons above and the fact he has good size I think he can be a great pass rusher with his mutant first step and speed, but he does not have to be a liability when asked to pass cover in the short zone or hold the line if asked to do that. He could use some more weight to play the pro game and the simple fact is that you cannot teach height but with a proper diet and ori weight training he should be able to add pounds without losing a lot of speed. However, he sounds pretty sculpted already and we will have to see how he does with putting on some more pounds.

Overall this looks like a good pick given his skill set, background story of high character and his demographics.

2 37 Denver Max Unger OC Oregon P3 -5 Reach

2 38 Cincinnati Everette Brown DE43 Florida State P3O +24 Value

2 39 Jacksonville Darius Butler CB Connecticut P3 +14 Value

2 40 Oakland Michael Johnson DE43 Georgia Tech P2 +1 Value

2 41 Green Bay Connor Barwin OLB34 Cincinnati P2 +0 Value

2 42 Buffalo Jared Cook TE South Carolina P2 -6 Reach

He's gone, too.

Yes, I lose. Good thing I am not in the Bills FO. With the 28th pick, the Bills select Cushing...wait, he's gone? We mean Matthews....nope? Gone too...errrrr.....Hey Ralph, wake up. Who do you think we should take now? We got 30 seconds.

My only defense is that I am not in front of a TV and I am skipping back and forth between here and ESPN.

God no!

So we can now count on none of this happening?