When was the last time a TE was the difference?

Virgil

1) If you were told by several respected pro personnel evaluators that Pettigrew was one of the top ten players in the draft would it change your mind?

No, only because if there was a top 10 DE or OT available, that is a much more pressing need. If those two positions could definitely be addressed later on, then yes.

2) If someone told you that Pettigrew would have as good or better a pro career than Jason Witten and Heath Miller would that change your mind?

Yes. But I don't know how you could promise that. In fact, part of me is hoping to sign Heath Miller when he is a Free Agent next year.

both are fair questions though

Virgil.....but that isn't what you are getting this year (well....maybe on the DL side but not the OT side) There will probably be 3-4 OT's off the board before we even pick.....we want to take whats left and hope its good enough?

Now....if the arguement is for a DE or DT......I can see that logic.....if we have our picks of the DE's or of Raji should happen to fall into our lap then I could see that logic.....improved DL play is a huge need and in that scenario we could have our pick in that area.......

God I wish we had one more mid 1st rounder this year.

Virgil.....but that isn't what you are getting this year (well....maybe on the DL side but not the OT side) There will probably be 3-4 OT's off the board before we even pick.....we want to take whats left and hope its good enough?

Now....if the arguement is for a DE or DT......I can see that logic.....if we have our picks of the DE's or of Raji should happen to fall into our lap then I could see that logic.....improved DL play is a huge need and in that scenario we could have our pick in that area.......

God I wish we had one more mid 1st rounder this year.

agreed. that's why if some of these mocks pan true and we can grab raji and then trade up a bit and get maybin or everett....wow

While I recognize that hypocracy of making an anti-Pettigrew first pick thread, I feel this must be said.

Who was the last Superbowl team who said "Man, if it wasn't for our Tight End, we would have been lost." Or better yet, when we made our slide after starting 5-1, who out there was saying "This never would have happened if there wasn't a solid Tight End on our team."

Listen, I know that we don't have much proven talent there, but we have a ton of more pressing issues than Tight End. Even if you gave us a healthy Antonio Gates with our first pick, we still would have glaring holes. I'm all for a Tight End in the draft, but there are plenty of guys of value in the 3rd. I'm still not sure that Derek Fine is going to pan out.

The reality is, Tight End is a piece to a puzzle, but by no means the final piece to our puzzle. There are much, MUCH more pressing needs with our first picsk. So, unless you think that Pettigrew is also going to rush the pasher, protect Trent Edwards blind side, and catch all of our Red Zone touchdowns, please...lay off the Pettigrew at 11 talk.

I respect what you say. But it's not just about just what we need. It's also about about the quality available at other positions. And there isn't very much quality at OT and DE. It's about getting value for our picks. And at those positions there isn't much value. This year's draft doesn't seem to be that great at those positions. I could be wrong. But I would rather get a top flight TE than an over valued OT or DE that might not pan out. And plus i don't want our team to over pay for a TO or DE who have so many question marks and who might not live up to expectations. In most any other draft, your view point would prove true i think. But this year's draft is short on quality players that would fill our glaring holes in the first round. I would like to get Pettigrew at 28, but i'm not sure he will last this long. Honestly i hope we trade down from 11. There isn't much "value" at 11. I don't want us paying too much.