When was the last time a TE was the difference?

Virgil

While I recognize that hypocracy of making an anti-Pettigrew first pick thread, I feel this must be said.

Who was the last Superbowl team who said "Man, if it wasn't for our Tight End, we would have been lost." Or better yet, when we made our slide after starting 5-1, who out there was saying "This never would have happened if there wasn't a solid Tight End on our team."

Listen, I know that we don't have much proven talent there, but we have a ton of more pressing issues than Tight End. Even if you gave us a healthy Antonio Gates with our first pick, we still would have glaring holes. I'm all for a Tight End in the draft, but there are plenty of guys of value in the 3rd. I'm still not sure that Derek Fine is going to pan out.

The reality is, Tight End is a piece to a puzzle, but by no means the final piece to our puzzle. There are much, MUCH more pressing needs with our first picsk. So, unless you think that Pettigrew is also going to rush the pasher, protect Trent Edwards blind side, and catch all of our Red Zone touchdowns, please...lay off the Pettigrew at 11 talk.

Week 12 @ Kansas City. TE was a monster that game :P 24 of 32 for 275 yards with 2 TD's passing and 6 carries for 38 yards and 2 more TD's :wallbash:

I totally had that coming....

Almost did the same thing in all the threads where Jason Peters was referred to as JP

I was unaware that we were now comparing our D to the Ravens in their prime.

Now, maybe if we had a pass rush or terrorizing linebackers....

How drunk are you? At what point was their even a single comparison of Bills and Ravens? You asked, when was the last time a TE made a difference...I answered it with Shannon Sharpe who was huge for them and came up big in playoffs and Super Bowl...

Who was the last Superbowl team who said "Man, if it wasn't for our Tight End, we would have been lost." Or better yet, when we made our slide after starting 5-1, who out there was saying "This never would have happened if there wasn't a solid Tight End on our team."

"Montana rolls right. He's got Clark in the back of the endzone. Touchdown! Touchdown!" :wallbash:

Fair enough. I apologize for any douche-bagery.

To clarify. I'm talking about a TE being the piece that brings it all together. The difference for a team as a whole. I'm not talking about a few game hot streak or a big catch here and there. I'm talking about a season reflection as a whole. And, more importantly, calling out those who actually think a Tight End is the main thing this team is missing.

To clarify. I'm talking about a TE being the piece that brings it all together. The difference for a team as a whole. I'm not talking about a few game hot streak or a big catch here and there. I'm talking about a season reflection as a whole. And, more importantly, calling out those who actually think a Tight End is the main thing this team is missing.

Antonio Gates literally created Drew Brees in SD who couldnt do squat prior to him...

Tony Gonzalez turned Trent Green into a pretty consistent QB

Shannon Sharpe was the entire passing threat on that Ravens SB team

Just to name a few...SD and KC both had a lot of other holes, but if it wasnt for those TE's they wouldnt have even been relevant.

For the record, no one player is ever the solution, its too big of a team game...but an impact player at TE can be a huge piece for an offense, and be enough to elevate a QB's game...

Virgil....I cannot disprove what you are saying but I have to say that I think we should draft a quality tight end and see for ourselves......

Two things I firmly believe......

- We have not had even an AVERAGE tight end since Reirisma (sp)

- Trent Edwards skill set and where he likes to throw the ball really screams at me that the best kind of target would be a big bodied sure handed tight end that will catch anything close to him and will catch a ball in a group of defenders.

I just want to see if my theory is correct.

Virgil....I cannot disprove what you are saying but I have to say that I think we should draft a quality tight end and see for ourselves......

Two things I firmly believe......

- We have not had even an AVERAGE tight end since Reirisma (sp)

- Trent Edwards skill set and where he likes to throw the ball really screams at me that the best kind of target would be a big bodied sure handed tight end that will catch anything close to him and will catch a ball in a group of defenders.

I just want to see if my theory is correct.

While I can respect what you, Alpha, and Water are saying, it's just hard for me to feel comfortable with us going there with our first overall pick. If he's there at 28, then great. But I also think there are much better Pass-Catching Tight Ends out there.

Maybe it's just the years of frusturating loss in me, but I want to see Tom Brady running scared like he did in the Superbowl.

One prob we have is that if the TE is gonna be an intergral part of our O scheme we actually need not 1 TE but two.

If we go this route not we are depending not only on Pettigrew proving to be a real player (this is not something you want to count on from a rook for a least a couple of years) and the real world experience has been that a 1st round choice is only a hair more than 50/50 to even be a starter beginning his second year). We are also depending on him no to get hurt unless we have a credible back-up.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Schouman has demonstrated that he is a good ST player at best and is not someone you want count on to be both a receiving and blocking threat if you are forced to have him start more than a game or two if Pettigrew were to go down. Once he got off the injured list I liked Fine as a receiver. However, it will likely be another couple of years until he is adequate at both the blocking and receiving game we would want from a plan B at TE if Pettigrew went down or developed slowly.

Just to clarify, are you calling for Pettigrew at 11?

Lord, no!!! At #28? Sure.

Dwight Clark was a wide receiver.

:P ..........I always thought he was a TE for some reason. Eh, that was before my time anyway. :wallbash:

Let me ask you two very hypothetical questions Virgil...and I'm not arguing with you.

1) If you were told by several respected pro personnel evaluators that Pettigrew was one of the top ten players in the draft would it change your mind?

2) If someone told you that Pettigrew would have as good or better a pro career than Jason Witten and Heath Miller would that change your mind?

One prob we have is that if the TE is gonna be an intergral part of our O scheme we actually need not 1 TE but two.

If we go this route not we are depending not only on Pettigrew proving to be a real player (this is not something you want to count on from a rook for a least a couple of years) and the real world experience has been that a 1st round choice is only a hair more than 50/50 to even be a starter beginning his second year). We are also depending on him no to get hurt unless we have a credible back-up.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but Schouman has demonstrated that he is a good ST player at best and is not someone you want count on to be both a receiving and blocking threat if you are forced to have him start more than a game or two if Pettigrew were to go down. Once he got off the injured list I liked Fine as a receiver. However, it will likely be another couple of years until he is adequate at both the blocking and receiving game we would want from a plan B at TE if Pettigrew went down or developed slowly.

Tight End is one of those positions that I have seen do well as a rookie....there are multiple examples.

1) If you were told by several respected pro personnel evaluators that Pettigrew was one of the top ten players in the draft would it change your mind?

No, only because if there was a top 10 DE or OT available, that is a much more pressing need. If those two positions could definitely be addressed later on, then yes.

2) If someone told you that Pettigrew would have as good or better a pro career than Jason Witten and Heath Miller would that change your mind?

Yes. But I don't know how you could promise that. In fact, part of me is hoping to sign Heath Miller when he is a Free Agent next year.

both are fair questions though