(LAMP) Having dinner tonight with a big wig

plenzmd1

Okay gents, kinda of a lamp here, but also seeing if anyone has suggetions.

So, long story, but several months ago I am at the main charity event for Cystic Fibrosis and bid on a dinner for 10 at the Canadian embassy in DC with the Canadian Ambassador, cooked by his personal chef. Lo and behold we win with a bid i thought had no chance, and the dinner is this evening.

Here is his bio

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/washi...id=3&menu=L

So, what am I going to talk to this guy about?? Prolly a Leafs fan, but i can't think he is going to want to talk hockey all night long. I am thinking of telling him to put to lobby to prtect the intersts of the CFL and not allow any NFL games during the CFL season etc, but he wil prolly be bored with sports in zero seconds flat. As one can tell from my zero posts on the PPP forum, not exactly a political wonk. Certainly I am no titan of indusrty, as is no one in my party of ten.

So while I am excited to be having a dinner party with a pretty big shot in DC, and excited about gpoing to the Embassy as it is a cool building, am somewhat nervous of making an ass out of myself here.

Any you all ever had any kind of experience like this or suggetions for discussion topics?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, long story, but several months ago I am at the main charity event for Cystic Fibrosis and bid on a dinner for 10 at the Canadian embassy in DC with the Canadian Ambassador, cooked by his personal chef. Lo and behold we win with a bid i thought had no chance, and the dinner is this evening.

Here is his bio

So, what am I going to talk to this guy about?? Prolly a Leafs fan, but i can't think he is going to want to talk hockey all night long. I am thinking of telling him to put to lobby to prtect the intersts of the CFL and not allow any NFL games during the CFL season etc, but he wil prolly be bored with sports in zero seconds flat. As one can tell from my zero posts on the PPP forum, not exactly a political wonk. Certainly I am no titan of indusrty, as is no one in my party of ten.

So while I am excited to be having a dinner party with a pretty big shot in DC, and excited about gpoing to the Embassy as it is a cool building, am somewhat nervous of making an ass out of myself here.

Any you all ever had any kind of experience like this or suggetions for discussion topics?

I think you'd be very surprised by how many of these guys like sports and talking about them. Bone up on Neuroscience too. Just get a basic understanding off the internet and tell him that you don't know much and ask him to tell you'd like to learn more about it.

He will probably not want to talk about Canadian politics because he doesn't speak for the Prime Minister on that kind of stuff.

You can also ask his opinion on why the financial sector tanked.

Those are my suggestions.

A few opening questions:

Can I get another Molson Stock please?

Where do you get the great strippers from?

Is there truth to the rumor that the Canadien government plans to appeal the law requiring every 4th male born to be named "Gordie"

Any you all ever had any kind of experience like this or suggestions for discussion topics?

1) Fries with malt vinegar.

2) Tell him I think John Diefenbaker was Canada's best P.M. ever.

3) Ask why they built that da*n bridge between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

2) and 3) at your own risk... :thumbsup:

Here is his bio

I'm confused by your question. You used Canadian and "big wig" in the same topic. If anything, he should be nervous about having dinner with a superior American.

Where the hell is crayonz??? This thread is like the Holy Grail for him.

That is exactly why i started this thread. Knew there would be some big time funny smart ass remarks, and while we have not quite otten there, we are getting close :thumbsup:

Here is his bio

Being a former investment executive and owning a consulting and financial services firm, he probably could fill the entire time with talk of the economy. But how much fun would that be? I'd rather talk sports. Maybe he knows something more to the rumor of Toronto trying to get another NHL team (one that will try to win), or the Bills playing in Toronto, or the NFL in Canada in general. Also I read that he lost a son to depression and suicide, so be careful when discussing family. Now I read that on wikidepea, so take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't take the chance. Post afterwards though, it would be interesting to read....

Ok, I did verify from other sources that his son did commit suicide.

Here is his bio

Dude come on, this can't be serious can it?

Personal chef? I have a feeling the Menu is:

Apeteasers:

Back Bacon

Main Course:

Back Bacon, just more of it...beauty

Dessert:

Jelly Donut

So many of the questions you could ask this guy would go over his head that you should just refrain. For starters, stick to hockey. He can probably talk about that.

The next part will be tricky, but it would be interesting if you could get some answers. Try to figure out why Celine Dion is such a sex symbol. You can't mention her name right away or the guy will probably get all worked up and start panting. Make the transistion from hockey. Ask if there are new buyers for the Canadiens because she is part of a potential ownership group. He'll mention that. Then ask something like "what is her best trait"? It would be informative to find out if it is spidery legs, crooked teeth, wretched face, centenary husband or just overall weirdness. I'm thinking it is weirdness but he'll call it intellect or something like that.

You also have to ask if Canadians are offended at the Homeland Security lady but start off slow. He probably doesn't understand politics and stuff. Ask him about the new movie Anvil which is like a re-make of Spinal Fusion only the band is stupider because they are Canadian. Ask him if he is offended at the re-make rather than having an original movie about dumb Canadians like Strange Brew or something like that. It has been a while. Then go into the whole immigration thing. Start with Homeland security but don't go too far with it. Dumb Canadian or not, he has every right to be offended about her comments. They were way out of line and none of that stuff is Canada's fault. It would be fair to ask though why so many Canadians enter our country illegally. Can't they stop it? Is he in favor of a fence? Stuff like that is fair to ask.

Frankly, I don't know how you'll kill two hours with this guy. Sure, the long pauses and dumbfounded looks can take up some time, but 120 is a lot of minutes. Also, I am confused as to why you're surprised that your bid won. In all probability, it was not only the highest bid, it was also the lowest. Get it?

In summary, your donation of money to Cystic Fibrosis was a very kind gesture. You should be proud. Your willingness to sit down with a Canadian for that period of time demonstrates your commitment to the cause.