This Is One I Completely Don't Get

H2o

Throw me in there too. After having the worst game of his career in the playoffs last year, they throw a bunch of coin at him? :thumbsup: ...Watch him go out and light it up next year and prove me wrong but I dunno it seems a lot like the Rams giving Bulger a huge extension before last year. I just feel like both of those guys' best football is behind them.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jakedelhomme/profile?id=DEL367367

Jake's overall #'s aren't really that great. He was arguably off to the best start of his life before he had the injury to his elbow a couple seasons ago, but $20 MILLION in guaranteed money for a 34 year old asi-asi QB? He's also had one of the best WR's in the game for years and another that was pretty good in his own right (Smith and Muhhamad), the running game was outstanding last year, and he still didn't put up better than '06 Losman #'s. The $42.5 million dolllar man? Like I said, I don't get this one.

I dunno. He's probably got about three good years left in him. He's 34, he's been in the playoffs a number of times, he takes few sacks, and his passing numbers are pretty good ( http://www.nfl.com/players/jakedelhomme/profile?id=DEL367367 ). What's the alternative?

It's an interesting issue. One one hand the argument can be made that he's a good quarterback. On the other hand it can be argued that he is the one thing holding the Panthers back from being an even better team.

He reminds me of Dave Kreig, a quarterback good enough to get you close but no more than that. I think a quarterback's limitations really tend to show up in playoff games. Didn't Chad Pennington also have a horrible playoff game last year?

Carolina is in a really bad bind with Peppers contract and they are determined that someone is going to pay a big price for Peppers so they are willing to pay Paul to get rewards for Peppers.

You could be right. :thumbsup: They might have an offer for Peppers that's going to free up cap space and they're holding off until draft day to make the move official. Somehow they said this frees up cap space for Carolina, next year I believe because Delhomme's cap hit would've been $10 mill.

I dunno. Jim Kelly got some crazy deal in 1994 or 5 that was like $20 mil for the next 8 years(edit: well, that was crazy back then :thumbsup: ) or whatever, and everybody knew it was BS and there was no way he would play that long. Marino got one right after that was the same thing. I remember at the time ESPN(forget who) said something along the lines of: "Sometimes the FO gives agents super contracts even though they know the player will retire before completing, just to get the agent big press...in the hopes that the agent will return the favor later on."

The Panthers don't have many options at QB. Cutting Delhomme would put them over the cap. They don't have a 1st rounder to trade for a QB, or to draft one and have him start. And Delhomme has been a steady QB, despite his horrible playoff game (looks like the Panthers outsmarted themselves, passing the ball and ignoring their top-ranked rushing attack). Moreover, the Panthers need cap room, to give them all the leverage WRT trading Peppers for high picks. So I can see it. I don't know if I agree with it, but like I said, it's not like they had many options.

This Is One I Completely Don't Get, Delhomme's Contract Extension

:thumbsup:

do you remember how bad the Panthers looked the year before when Delhomme was out?

I hate to defend it but they are a better team with him at QB....its probably too much but what extension isnt these days