Sexual Myths

WWVaBeach

After about 1840, Haller said, advice manuals began to focus on the vagina. “You begin to see manuals saying that women should not be experiencing that pleasure, and if they do, they are exposing themselves to harm.”

:lol:

I'm guessing the guy who wrote that was a poor performer, just sayin. :thumbsup:

Much of this anti-sex attitude was rooted in economic class prejudice after the industrial revolution started creating the bourgeoisie. The poor, the uneducated, immigrants from southern climes, were the types to enjoy sex. Proper people didn’t.

“The ‘Irish maid’ is a good example,” Haller said. “Bourgeois people did not want them to nurse their children because of what might be carried through the breast milk; it could bring the bad traits of the Irish into the home of the Anglo-Saxon family.”

Well, this makes a LOT of sense. It's the same with prohibition, which I am convinced started b/c of the hatred of German immigrants...especially around World War I.

Doctors at a Boston insane asylum reported that inmates there masturbated and soon a flood of anxious young men flowed into clinics fearing insanity, wasting, and even death. Self-pleasuring, a typical advice manual stated, leaves “the nerves wasted and depleted … the entire nervous system will eventually become shattered and ruined beyond all hope of complete recovery.”

If this is true, why am I still on the outside? :thumbsup:

And BTW, I totally agree with grunt. Freud was a jackass, even though I love reading about how "moral" people were supposed to be in the Victorian era. That was a false morality, I believe, without the Christian element.