Stafford Pretty Much a Lock for #1 Overall

H2o

I really can't believe it. The way teams see players over the course of an off-season just baffles me. I've watched probably 80% of Stafford's games, and there is no way he is worth anywhere near the number 1 pick of the draft. At the end of the season I would have considered it a surprise if a team took a flier on him in the low second round.

I'm always willing to admit that knowing how a player will do once they make the transition is a crap-shoot, and that any player can smash my novice opinions just from watching the games from my couch, but I will be shocked if Stafford is more than a backup 5 years from now.

I really can't believe it. The way teams see players over the course of an off-season just baffles me. I've watched probably 80% of Stafford's games, and there is no way he is worth anywhere near the number 1 pick of the draft. At the end of the season I would have considered it a surprise if a team took a flier on him in the low second round.

I'm always willing to admit that knowing how a player will do once they make the transition is a crap-shoot, and that any player can smash my novice opinions just from watching the games from my couch, but I will be shocked if Stafford is more than a backup 5 years from now.

But, but, but his arm strength. His improvement over the last couple of season. Not to mention his glaring endorsement from Mel Kiper. How could this go wrong? :lol:

Agreed. I'd pay attention to him when Georgia was on t.v. just because I knew there was a lot of hype about him. It seemed every time I watched him he was throwing a jump ball off his back foot. He had some really poor games versus better competition, which also leads me to believe he's going to bust.

This is interesting. Curry will reportedly take the same or less than Jake Long got last year. That in turn affects the rest of the draft. So Stafford stands to lose money either way, but if he balks, loses being the #1 overall pick as well. Another thing to consider is that Curry has a lot lower to fall if he's not picked #1 overall than Stafford does. Some mocks have him falling to the Bills' pick, whereas Stafford will probably be gone in the top-4.

This is interesting. Curry will reportedly take the same or less than Jake Long got last year. That in turn affects the rest of the draft. So Stafford stands to lose money either way, but if he balks, loses being the #1 overall pick as well. Another thing to consider is that Curry has a lot lower to fall if he's not picked #1 overall than Stafford does. Some mocks have him falling to the Bills' pick, whereas Stafford will probably be gone in the top-4.

Not necessarily. QBs drafted in the top five typically sign for more than other positions drafted #1 overall. Look back no further than Matt Ryan last year whose contract dwarfed that of Jake Long.

GO BILLS!!!

It's just another weak draft class, like '05. There are doubts about every player in the top. Jason Smith isn't supposed to be the next Orlando Pace; Eugene Monroe certainly won't be. Aaron Curry won't be the next Ray Lewis. And Stafford has a better chance of being David Carr than Peyton Manning. I wish they'd revamp the entire system personally. Rookie contracts are out of control, and you'll set your franchise back half a decade if you're wrong on a top five pick.

If Stafford doesn't get drafted by Detroit, then he could slip down out of the top 10, and Buffalo now would become a target for a trade down to acquire him. Also, if Oher doesn't get drafted by San francisco, we could be a target for a trade down as well.