Agree To Disagree

goynahan

Hello all, i've been reading this stadium wall for a couple of years now, and let me say it's great to have a place where there is constantly something new to read about the Bills (true or not). I'm a die hard fan through and through, and like many of you i never rule us out and am the first person at the bar every sunday (i live down in Pittsburgh, these people don't know how good they have it). but anyways, i've been thinking about our team lately and the moves that are being made. there is no move in particular that has me pondering this, it's just a general observation that i wanted to express and get some reactions from. Does anyone else feel like the organization has no real incentive to improve the product on the field? Think about it, we have consistently sold out our games this decade while the team has barely sniffed the playoffs. With the fear of eventually losing the team, I think that fans are going to continue to go and spend their money because they aren't sure how much longer the team will be around. So from the organization's standpoint, what incentive is there to field a better team? You have fans that are handcuffed by the fear of losing their beloved team. If people continue to pay for a crappy product, what incentive i there to improve that product? Before losing the team was even a thought, the bills often failed to sell out all of their games. Nowadays the entire season is sold out sometimes before the first game is played. I'm not saying i firmly believe this is what the FO is thinking, but I thought I would throw it out there and here what people have to say.

In Russert we Trust,

Goynahan

Guest dog14787
Hello all, i've been reading this stadium wall for a couple of years now, and let me say it's great to have a place where there is constantly something new to read about the Bills (true or not). I'm a die hard fan through and through, and like many of you i never rule us out and am the first person at the bar every sunday (i live down in Pittsburgh, these people don't know how good they have it). but anyways, i've been thinking about our team lately and the moves that are being made. there is no move in particular that has me pondering this, it's just a general observation that i wanted to express and get some reactions from. Does anyone else feel like the organization has no real incentive to improve the product on the field? Think about it, we have consistently sold out our games this decade while the team has barely sniffed the playoffs. With the fear of eventually losing the team, I think that fans are going to continue to go and spend their money because they aren't sure how much longer the team will be around. So from the organization's standpoint, what incentive is there to field a better team? You have fans that are handcuffed by the fear of losing their beloved team. If people continue to pay for a crappy product, what incentive i there to improve that product? Before losing the team was even a thought, the bills often failed to sell out all of their games. Nowadays the entire season is sold out sometimes before the first game is played. I'm not saying i firmly believe this is what the FO is thinking, but I thought I would throw it out there and here what people have to say.

In Russert we Trust,

Goynahan

Well Howdy,

I honestly believe Ralph Wilson never stops trying to build a good ball club, but the ball keeps bouncing the wrong way :lol:

In the Holy Trent we Trust...

Guest dog14787
There's not a great deal of compelling evidence to refute your theory. The other possible explanation is that the team's leadership is incompetent. But I'll still be buried with some Bills swag in my casket.

Its all so clear to me now,

Its bad karma, Dumping the Magic flute for RJ opened the floodgates, hence the Music City Miracle and all the magic sucked out of Buffalo forever...

Well, I hope not forever :lol:

I kind of disagree with your statement the personel decisions have just been bad but we bring in players that fans can believe in every year, players like rob johnson, london fletcher takeo spikes, walker, dockery, stroud, TO this year, I think they have been trying, but fans are getting fed up not winning at this point. Im not one of them and I will continue to buy season tickets good or bad there is simply nothing I look forward to more than Sundays in the fall.

Welcome, goynahan! No, I don't believe there's an overt effort to stink. One could argue that RW doesn't hire top flight coaches/FO personnel to save a buck or two -or out of fear they'll steal his thunder. But I believe everyone who's been in a coaching/management position -as well as every player- is giving their very best effort to being a winner.

I don't think the true 'crap-shoot' aspect gets enough due credit. The players who've bombed out in Buffalo this century- the biggest contributor to our woes, IMO- would likely have bombed everywhere, but they were well scouted and if we hadn't taken them, another team would have. The Bills try as hard as everyone else to put a Super Bowl team together. Unlucky? Our misfortune is legendary.

To me, the one aspect missing is consistentcy in the FO- where it all begins. I think this is why Ralph decided to keep Jauron. He doesn't steal headlines, is intelligent and unassuming -like Ralph. Yes, I'm a Kool-aid drinker -hoping against ever diminishing hope- for that ONE YEAR it all comes together.

Welcome aboard!

As long as Buffalo fans are satisfied with a mediocre product, that's all we'll get.

I definitely dispute the opinion that Ralph doesn't care about W/L except from a profit viewpoint. But, his desire is only one necessary condition required to building a winning franchise. Look at Snyder. I have no doubt he wants a Super Bowl and has spent exorbitantly every year since he took over the team. Washington has even sniffed anywhere close to a championship.

Dallas has also spent like crazy but has not been anywhere close in a decade.

MANAGEMENT/SCOUTING is one huge problem. And I also wonder sometimes how much LUCK is involved. Do any of you think the Cheatriot run would have even started without 6th round pick Tom Brady? Thurmon Thomas fell to round 2. Andre Reed was what round? House Ballard? Wasn't Bolden a 7th round pick?? Was this brilliant skill or luck?

I am not saying luck is more important than good management

but it does matter...it seems.

Last is good coaching. That has been missing from Buffalo since we (rightly) fired Wade Phillips. Wade is a mediocre coach but is 10X Jauron (at least). Belicheat cheats and is a certified !@#$ but he can coach. Parcells, etc

This is one huge complaint I have about Ralph - he refuses to recognize the importance of good coaching.

-rNj

In Russert we Trust,

Goynahan

Alot of valid points, However please keep in mind that half of the Stadium is Canadiens due to a different marketing strategy. Add that in with more fans from Central NY and it equals sell outs!

....sigh....

Ahem.....this is a business and Ralph is a businessman. That is and always will be, priority number 1. All other priorities in regards to the quality of the product, are lower priorities.

Does Ralph want to put out a better product and return to the AFC Championship form of the 90's?

Of course.

At 90, with the team leaving his family and potentially leaving Buffalo after his passing, is Ralph going to pay for a proven HC and marquis players to come in and turn this team into a top tier club?

Well, in the last 9 years he's had to do it, has he?

As long as Ralph can do what he's been doing and spend what he's been spending, while keeping the cash flow from his team at acceptable levels, the last 9 years should be all you need to understand that "business" is priority 1, and "winning", while undoubtedly a close second, is priority 2.

Spending a lot of money and bringing in a top HC and marquis players to potentially turn this team into a championship caliber club would be more likely if Ralph was in his 50's or 60's or perhaps 70's.

Not at 90.

This is a transitional period for the Bills organization. Ralph is at the end of the journey. Nothing major is going to happen until the torch gets passed to the new owner(s).

I just hope that the new owner(s) keep the Bills in Buffalo and are capable and willing to spend the money necessary to bring the team back to championship form.

....sigh....

Ahem.....this is a business and Ralph is a businessman. That is and always will be, priority number 1. All other priorities in regards to the quality of the product, are lower priorities.

Does Ralph want to put out a better product and return to the AFC Championship form of the 90's?

Of course.

At 90, with the team leaving his family and potentially leaving Buffalo after his passing, is Ralph going to pay for a proven HC and marquis players to come in and turn this team into a top tier club?

Well, in the last 9 years he's had to do it, has he?

As long as Ralph can do what he's been doing and spend what he's been spending, while keeping the cash flow from his team at acceptable levels, the last 9 years should be all you need to understand that "business" is priority 1, and "winning", while undoubtedly a close second, is priority 2.

Spending a lot of money and bringing in a top HC and marquis players to potentially turn this team into a championship caliber club would be more likely if Ralph was in his 50's or 60's or perhaps 70's.

Not at 90.

This is a transitional period for the Bills organization. Ralph is at the end of the journey. Nothing major is going to happen until the torch gets passed to the new owner(s).

I just hope that the new owner(s) keep the Bills in Buffalo and are capable and willing to spend the money necessary to bring the team back to championship form.

My thing is If I was 90 and I knew I was on borrowed time and if I was truly trying to field a championship team...

A. Get the best Coach out there with experience with winning ( Shanahan, Cohwer, Billick, Marty S)

B. Hire a GM with football background

C. If you have to kick up seating prices to get more money for free agents well do it. The Bills like to say they have to lowest ticket prices in the league. but they are TOO low to compete with the NE and Dallas and the like. Thus the Toronto series. If you asked Joe fan in the B-low if he would pay 20 or 30 more dollars a seat they gonna pay it because we love it so much. Hard times or not the Ralph will be filled at least 4 or 5 games this year.

I agree with the poster saying that nothing much will change unless we get a new owner. Ralph worse move was to hand the keys to the Car to Tom Donahoe who set the franchise back with poor coaching hires and buy not upgrading the Lines. That alone was saying ....hey people im too old for this shyt.

How can you expect Ralph to make changes when the team is making money off an below average product??

Enjoy the Bills while we still have them my friends

My thing is If I was 90 and I knew I was on borrowed time and if I was truly trying to field a championship team...

A. Get the best Coach out there with experience with winning ( Shanahan, Cohwer, Billick, Marty S)

B. Hire a GM with football background

C. If you have to kick up seating prices to get more money for free agents well do it. The Bills like to say they have to lowest ticket prices in the league. but they are TOO low to compete with the NE and Dallas and the like. Thus the Toronto series. If you asked Joe fan in the B-low if he would pay 20 or 30 more dollars a seat they gonna pay it because we love it so much. Hard times or not the Ralph will be filled at least 4 or 5 games this year.

I agree with the poster saying that nothing much will change unless we get a new owner. Ralph worse move was to hand the keys to the Car to Tom Donahoe who set the franchise back with poor coaching hires and buy not upgrading the Lines. That alone was saying ....hey people im too old for this shyt.

How can you expect Ralph to make changes when the team is making money off an below average product??

Enjoy the Bills while we still have them my friends

When and if you get to be 90, and if you were worth what Ralph is worth, you would most likely be thinking about your estate and family.