Student's KKK Costume Wins Prize -- and Suspension

Reported by the AP

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (Nov. 3) - A high school student's costume garnered a top prize - and a five-day suspension - at the school's Halloween masquerade party.

The Ku Klux Klansman getup took the prize for the scariest costume at the City High School dance attended by the principal, assistant principal and other staff members.

Superintendent Bert Bleke said he agreed with the school's decision to suspend the student but wanted to know why adults at the party failed to stop the senior, who was wearing a white-hooded outfit, from entering, much less winning a prize.

"There are a number of questions I have and don't yet have answers to," Bleke said.

Contacted by the newspaper, the student declined to discuss his Halloween outfit. He said school leaders advised him to keep mum, and that he didn't want to cause any more trouble for himself.

I don't think dressing up as the grand wizard for Halloween was a particularly good idea. However, a five-day suspension seems a bit harsh. What do you think?

I don't think dressing up as the grand wizard for Halloween was a particularly good idea.  However, a five-day suspension seems a bit harsh.  What do you think?

100618[/snapback]

Free Speech is apparently elusive on public grounds. Maybe he should have dressed as Moses and carried the 10 Commandments. Then they could have hanged him. :D

I don't think dressing up as the grand wizard for Halloween was a particularly good idea.  However, a five-day suspension seems a bit harsh.  What do you think?

100618[/snapback]

It's in poor taste, but I don't think it merits a 5-day suspension from school.

Here's my take..for what it's worth. I like Howard Stern...He has this guy Danial Carver on who is a KKK member and he if free to say the N word and whatever. Howard also has on Trick Daddy, black rapper, and the fireworks erupt. Did the FCC fine stern? No they can't..each of these polar opposites have a right to what they wanna say. So my point is...as much as you don't like it...as long as they aren't saying anything that would incite bodily harm to another or something...you gotta live with it. Five days suspension...probally not a good idea for the school if they want to avoid a lawsuit.

Here's my take..for what it's worth. I like Howard Stern...He has this guy Danial Carver on who is a KKK member and he if free to say the N word and whatever.  Howard also has on Trick Daddy, black rapper, and the fireworks erupt. Did the FCC fine stern? No they can't..each of these polar opposites have a right to what they wanna say.  So my point is...as much as you don't like it...as long as they aren't saying anything that would incite bodily harm to another or something...you gotta live with it.  Five days suspension...probally not a good idea for the school if they want to avoid a lawsuit.

100675[/snapback]

Congress shall make NO law...