Chris Ellis

Seriously, how does this guy factor what the Bills do on Sunday? I like the idea of a DE @ 11, but I was pleased with what I saw from Ellis in his limited play.

What are the chances of Ellis being a playmaker?

Do we NEED a playmaker and/or/because Ellis is only good enough for depth?

I've seen virtually no press on the guy. Is he that bad, or were the Bills keeping the lid on him?

Seriously, how does this guy factor what the Bills do on Sunday? I like the idea of a DE @ 11, but I was pleased with what I saw from Ellis in his limited play.

I've seen virtually no press on the guy. Is he that bad, or were the Bills keeping the lid on him?

Good point. Maybe this is one of the reasons that Kelsay is available. Schobel, Ellis, Denney and a new prospect at DE (Maybin?) could be the new rotation that Brandon is looking for.

I just watched a DE who looked awesome in his highlight video- he's 6,5 265, and runs a 4.65 40, During his senior season, he garnered 8.5 sacks, 9 tackles for loss and 38 quarterback hurries. I think he has a chance to play a little bit for the Bills in 2009- his name? ha ha Chris Ellis

We always like the new crop and disregard the old crop- DEs and WRs almost never play well their first year- Richard Dent had like 3 sacks his first year and 17 his second year.

I don't think anyone can say he doesn't have potential. The problem is that we can't rely and assume he's going to be ready to be a significant contributor THIS year. The smarter move would be to add better players there. We KNOW what we're getting from Kelsay, we KNOW what we're getting from Denney, we don't KNOW what we're getting from Schobel or Ellis.

You say him play? did you watch pactice? hope he turns out but not much to base anything on.

I paid close attention to Ellis when he did play. He was not good. I hope he was adjusting because he looked pretty bad. This guy would would make one effort to get to the qb and just stand there clueless.

In training camp I remember Jauron saying this guy was a project which is not what you want to hear about a third rounder. The fact that a single word hasn't been mentioned is not a good sign.

And this guy dressed for 7 games? That's pathetic for a 3rd rounder that is competing with the worst group of DE's in the NFL.

What exactly did you like Cat.....I didnt see much of anything. You wouldn't even know he was on the field.

Believe me....I would LOVE to agree with you. If Ellis even showed a glimpse then maybe we dont have to go DE in the 1st or second....to me he looked small and weak. Getting thrown around like rag doll which isn't supposed to happen if you are a nasty (which he was billed) player.

I payed close attention to Ellis when he did play. He was not good. I hope he was adjusting because he looked pretty bad. This guy would would make one effort to get to the qb and just stand there clueless.

In training camp I remember Jauron saying this guy was a project which is not what you want to hear about a third rounder. The fact that a single word hasn't been mentioned is not a good sign.

And this guy dressed for 7 games? That's pathetic for a 3rd rounder that is competing with the worst group of DE's in the NFL.

how much did you pay him? payed is not a word.

What exactly did you like Cat.....I didnt see much of anything. You wouldn't even know he was on the field.

Believe me....I would LOVE to agree with you. If Ellis even showed a glimpse then maybe we dont have to go DE in the 1st or second....to me he looked small and weak. Getting thrown around like rag doll which isn't supposed to happen if you are a nasty (which he was billed) player.

I remember him actually moving the tackle somewhere, having some speed, and what appeared to be some ferocity, all things I was so unaccustomed to seeing on the left side, that it stood out as "good" play.

I don't pretend to be a football expert, especially when it comes to line play. If some of the know-betters have keener insight, I'll take his/her word for it! :thumbsup:

Maybe the same thing everyone saw in Bell that makes him believe he is the new Jason Peters on this team

Actually comparing the two I saw things from D. Bell that I really liked for a OT even though he was really raw.....

I love D. Bell's balance.......he has active feet and he did not seem to get "outquicked" in the preseason action I saw.....I also thought he played with good leverage. If we didn't have veterans in front of him last year I would have liked to see a lot more. The limiting factor is he didn't appear to be very strong.

But all D. Bell had to show was the ability to stay in front of someone to be impressive for a late round pick.....while Ellis was a much earlier pick and needed to show the ability to GET BY someone........which I did not see at all. The fact that Ellis wasn't even on the active roster with guys all dinged up all year except for a handful of games really said a lot to me...I mean not even on special teams?

Personally I hope both of these guys come into camp monsters and much stronger then last year.......

In VA, every VT game is on television so I got to see Chris Ellis play quite a bit. He's a good pass rusher, when healthy. He seemed often injured. The guy does have a solid burst coming off the edge though. His main problem, lack of strength and physical play. He tries to use finesse moves all of the time and you can't get bye with that in the NFL. You'll find yourself out of position alot and giving up huge gains on running plays. If he hits the weights HARD this offseason he could end up making a serious impact for our defense this year IMO, but it's up to Ellis as to how much work he's willing to put in. Here's a little highlight reel from him at VT: