Bills are bottoming out

First of all, they are guided by the lame duck Dick Jauron, arguably the worst long tenured head coach in the Super Bowl era. This alone would be cause for concern because everyone knows that he can't continue to do what he has been doing and keep his job. Unfortunately for him and us, he has been doing his best and it isn't even close to enough. Expect Jauron to try to be more aggressive and for the results to be worse because he isn't capable of coaching that brand of football.

Second, they have a fragile, physically limited starting QB, a very bad backup situation and nobody in development. Edwards will be hurt early in the season.

He will be hurt early because he has arguably the worst OL in the NFL in front of him. Seriously, look around the league and find a worse collection of OL. When Langston Walker is your best OL you have a serious concern.

The 4 best DL are all well on the backsides of their careers. Stroud, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney.....this unit was poor last year and is really poised for a big fallout. They all really are at the point in their careers where they should be backups or at best in a rotation with players of comparable or better talent. There is not a lot in the cupboard behind these guys either.

TO. I saw Dave McBride here talking about Owens as the best player on this team. That's not saying much, but even so, he's not. He's very old for a wr and has had declining production. I fully expect him to be nicked up in or before camp and nagged by injuries like you would expect from a player who is that old. Perhaps the key point though is that his hands are failing him. Anyone who remembers James Lofton as a Bill should remember that when the Bills let Lofton go he could still do everything he always could.......except catch the football consistently. The hands go first and TO lead the NFL in dropped passes last year.

The linebacker position is very slow and unathletic. Mitchell makes big plays, but he's not a very good all around player. Poz is a the opposite, he's solid but makes no plays. Who even knows who the other starter will be, but chances are it's not going to be a game changer and the backups are little more than special teamers.

The back of the secondary. There is no capable free safety on this roster. Unless you count Whitner as a free safety......which is a position he is worse suited for than SS.......holyshitt what a mess is brewing back there.

Perhaps the biggest sign of an implosion is the radical moves being made by and attributed to Russ Brandon. There appears to be an effort to add by subtraction as if the reason the organization has failed to win is because of a few guys who just aren't buying into the wonderful system in place. This situation is very reminiscent of what the Lions did last offseason.

I know a lot of you are counting on the draft and the June 1st releases to bolster this roster. Unfortunately the draft never supplies the kind of immediate help that a roster like this needs to get better now. Even the top picks will not lead this team. Not that this will keep the Bills from drafting for need instead of taking the best available player......that's what they do and it's the main reason they are so lacking in difference makers. Also, there won't be any June 1st cuts. I just mentioned this because for some reason people don't realize that June 1st ceased to be a key date about a decade ago and isn't even relevant at all since the last cba.

Lastly, a tough schedule in a tough division filled with teams run by instinctive, successful career football men.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but a year from now people will be wondering how any of us could have thought this team could be anything more than horrible. If Edwards goes down, and he will, this team is headed for 2-4 wins. The days of the team winning a handful of games by playing ultra conservative Jauron ball and taking advantage of young teams who are trying to get better are gone.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points for sure. You could also add that the starting RB will miss the first few games, and almost

certainly the O-line will have 2 or three new starters, or starting different players at three positions.

We'll have to endure the old "time to gel" posts that are not doubt being crafted now.

In addition, NFL defenses seemed to figure out Schonert's offense very quickly last year, and I don't

think they'll have that benenfit again at the start of the season.

6-10 is my best scenario.

:oops:

First of all, they are guided by the lame duck Dick Jauron, arguably the worst long tenured head coach in the Super Bowl era. This alone would be cause for concern because everyone knows that he can't continue to do what he has been doing and keep his job. Unfortunately for him and us, he has been doing his best and it isn't even close to enough. Expect Jauron to try to be more aggressive and for the results to be worse because he isn't capable of coaching that brand of football.

Second, they have a fragile, physically limited starting QB, a very bad backup situation and nobody in development. Edwards will be hurt early in the season.

He will be hurt early because he has arguably the worst OL in the NFL in front of him. Seriously, look around the league and find a worse collection of OL. When Langston Walker is your best OL you have a serious concern.

The 4 best DL are all well on the backsides of their careers. Stroud, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney.....this unit was poor last year and is really poised for a big fallout. They all really are at the point in their careers where they should be backups or at best in a rotation with players of comparable or better talent. There is not a lot in the cupboard behind these guys either.

TO. I saw Dave McBride here talking about Owens as the best player on this team. That's not saying much, but even so, he's not. He's very old for a wr and has had declining production. I fully expect him to be nicked up in or before camp and nagged by injuries like you would expect from a player who is that old. Perhaps the key point though is that his hands are failing him. Anyone who remembers James Lofton as a Bill should remember that when the Bills let Lofton go he could still do everything he always could.......except catch the football consistently. The hands go first and TO lead the NFL in dropped passes last year.

The linebacker position is very slow and unathletic. Mitchell makes big plays, but he's not a very good all around player. Poz is a the opposite, he's solid but makes no plays. Who even knows who the other starter will be, but chances are it's not going to be a game changer and the backups are little more than special teamers.

The back of the secondary. There is no capable free safety on this roster. Unless you count Whitner as a free safety......which is a position he is worse suited for than SS.......holyshitt what a mess is brewing back there.

Perhaps the biggest sign of an implosion is the radical moves being made by and attributed to Russ Brandon. There appears to be an effort to add by subtraction as if the reason the organization has failed to win is because of a few guys who just aren't buying into the wonderful system in place. This situation is very reminiscent of what the Lions did last offseason.

I know a lot of you are counting on the draft and the June 1st releases to bolster this roster. Unfortunately the draft never supplies the kind of immediate help that a roster like this needs to get better now. Even the top picks will not lead this team. Not that this will keep the Bills from drafting for need instead of taking the best available player......that's what they do and it's the main reason they are so lacking in difference makers. Also, there won't be any June 1st cuts. I just mentioned this because for some reason people don't realize that June 1st ceased to be a key date about a decade ago and isn't even relevant at all since the last cba.

Lastly, a tough schedule in a tough division filled with teams run by instinctive, successful career football men.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but a year from now people will be wondering how any of us could have thought this team could be anything more than horrible. If Edwards goes down, and he will, this team is headed for 2-4 wins. The days of the team winning a handful of games by playing ultra conservative Jauron ball and taking advantage of young teams who are trying to get better are gone.

An epic post from my favorite glass-is-half-empty poster (seriously). Re TO, he played quite well last year, and if not for the Brad Johnson interregnum, he probably would have ended up with his usual 75-80 catches/1200 yards. As it is, he still put up excellent numbers -- 70 catches/1052 yards and 10 TDs in one of the best divisions in football. And he had one of the best seasons of his career the year before. As for the drops, you're better than that, Badol. He's been droppin' balls since 1996, and in any event, Braylon Edwards led the league in drops last year. (Edwards is an elite receiver, of course.) Reading your post, one would think the Bills weren't at 7-9 three years running. You're basically equating them with an 0-16 team, and you're relying on truly specious claims like "the hands go first" (I always thought it was the legs, but what do I know?) because James Lofton played like crap in 1992 (which he truly did) and definitively stating that Edwards will get hurt early on based on nothing but your own gut instinct and your seeming view that he won't ever complete a season. Lofton is a bad comparison with TO -- Lofton was a deep threat guy who did NOT like going over the middle and taking a pounding; TO has always been fearless in that regard. Methinks Lofton saw the end coming and thought that perhaps it wasn't worth getting clobbered. As for Edwards, Chris Chandler made it through a bunch of seasons; I suspect Edwards will make it through a couple too. Whether that will be next year or not is anyone's guess, but to state so definitively that he will go down for the count strikes me as the talk of a person embracing negativity for its own sake instead of reasonably taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm also not sure how you see Ryan Fitzpatrick as a downgrade from Losman, who may not even make a roster this year.

Also, I haven't seen a enthusiastic post about June 1 cuts in at least a year. I'm not sure where that's coming from.

I love your attitude.. makes me wanna :oops:

The only real bright spots on the team are the skill positions (WR and RB) and the corners, but I am not sure for how long. Unfortunately, Parrish may be traded and Owens is probably a Bill for only one year. With regard to the corners, McGee is a free agent next year and I doubt he will be re-signed.

Not many are talking about Edwards. It will be interesting to see if develops further this year.

Overall, I see much more potential for a poor record than the Bills vying for a playoff spot. Having to pick in the top five next year will be devastating to this team with all of the guaranteed money that will be required to sign that pick.

When you have a severe lack of talent running your Football Operation this is what happens...I may not be as doom-and-gloom as you BADOL, but I definitely recognize that a Team with this much input from Dick Jauron is almost destined for failure...I think quite honestly that bad luck follows Dead Dick...I really do...

Of coarse that could be because he sucks... :oops:

First of all, they are guided by the lame duck Dick Jauron, arguably the worst long tenured head coach in the Super Bowl era.

I laughed a bit and stopped reading there. Grow up and stop being so gloomy about the bills. If you have this much hope for them, why even watch?

I laughed a bit and stopped reading there. Grow up and stop being so gloomy about the bills. If you have this much hope for them, why even watch?

I'm not asking this because I know...I'm just asking...Are there Head Coaches with 8 or more Years of experience with worse records than Jauron?

Just asking...Can't imagine there are many worse...He'll be 20 Games below .500 as a Career HC if The Bills lose at New England in Week #1...

Just saying...I think the comment on Jauron was one of the least debatable... :oops:

Thanks. This board definitely needed some more Bills suck posts. Truly a very productive post. :oops:

The crazy thing about all this is the players on the team could care less what some Joe Schomo posts on a message board. So despite all the many negative things you believe are wrong with the team, they are completely meaningless. But thanks for trying to pass around some more words of negativity. And you can brag on this message board if the Bills do suck as much as you say they do. Awesome. Enjoy your offseason.

P.S. I would have loved to heard your thoughts about the 3-13 Falcons before last year.

Because for some people, in a sick way, they want others to try and feel as miserably as they do about things.

I'm not asking this because I know...I'm just asking...Are there Head Coaches with 8 or more Years of experience with worse records than Jauron?

Just asking...Can't imagine there are many worse...He'll be 20 Games below .500 as a Career HC if The Bills lose at New England in Week #1...

Just saying...I think the comment on Jauron was one of the least debatable... :devil:

Again, the homeless guy who coached NE was 41-55 (43% winning %) before Brady. Dick Jauron's winning 43%. Additionally, Jeff Fisher has had 8 non-winning seasons out of 15. And Fisher, IMO, is the best head coach in football.

But we obviously know Jauron is the worst coach ever and would suck even if he had Tom Brady or Steve McNair. And the brilliant minds of Belichick & Fisher would have had the same exact success with the likes of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, and JP Losman. :oops:

An epic post from my favorite glass-is-half-empty poster (seriously). Re TO, he played quite well last year, and if not for the Brad Johnson interregnum, he probably would have ended up with his usual 75-80 catches/1200 yards. As it is, he still put up excellent numbers -- 70 catches/1052 yards and 10 TDs in one of the best divisions in football. And he had one of the best seasons of his career the year before. As for the drops, you're better than that, Badol. He's been droppin' balls since 1996, and in any event, Braylon Edwards led the league in drops last year. (Edwards is an elite receiver, of course.) Reading your post, one would think the Bills weren't at 7-9 three years running. You're basically equating them with an 0-16 team, and you're relying on truly specious claims like "the hands go first" (I always thought it was the legs, but what do I know?) because James Lofton played like crap in 1992 (which he truly did) and definitively stating that Edwards will get hurt early on based on nothing but your own gut instinct and your seeming view that he won't ever complete a season. Lofton is a bad comparison with TO -- Lofton was a deep threat guy who did NOT like going over the middle and taking a pounding; TO has always been fearless in that regard. Methinks Lofton saw the end coming and thought that perhaps it wasn't worth getting clobbered. As for Edwards, Chris Chandler made it through a bunch of seasons; I suspect Edwards will make it through a couple too. Whether that will be next year or not is anyone's guess, but to state so definitively that he will go down for the count strikes me as the talk of a person embracing negativity for its own sake instead of reasonably taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm also not sure how you see Ryan Fitzpatrick as a downgrade from Losman, who may not even make a roster this year.

Also, I haven't seen a enthusiastic post about June 1 cuts in at least a year. I'm not sure where that's coming from.

Dave, Owens certainly did not have a great year last year. And, it wasn't all Brad Johnson... TO is not as physical as he used to be, and is not the unstopable force he was in previous years. You can write it off as that being a product of the talent around him, or the coaching, or whatever...but the Bills offensive talent is not all that much better (if at all) than the offensive talent that the Cowboys had. That is not to say the Owens is useless, or is not still very good, but I don't think he is the cure-all that so many seem to be assuming....there are still major holes to fill on this roster

P.S. I would have loved to heard your thoughts about the 3-13 Falcons before last year.

2008 Falcons: new GM, new HC, new QB > throwing out what did not work, and trying something new = hope

2009 Bills: sticking with a proven failure of a HC > trying the same thing, and hoping for a different result = ?

Dave, Owens certainly did not have a great year last year. And, it wasn't all Brad Johnson... TO is not as physical as he used to be, and is not the unstopable force he was in previous years. You can write it off as that being a product of the talent around him, or the coaching, or whatever...but the Bills offensive talent is not all that much better (if at all) than the offensive talent that the Cowboys had.

TO and 10 tds in a bad season as a #2 receiver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Josh Reed's career high 2 tds as a #2

TO and 10 tds in a bad season as a #2 receiver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Josh Reed's career high 2 tds as a #2

Great thing about sports, you can find a stat to prove anything....you win! Who was talking about Josh Reed?

I guess I chose my words poorly. I should have said, Owens certainly didn't have a great season, by his own standards. By Josh Reed's standards, he had his best season ever! :oops:

Again, the homeless guy who coached NE was 41-55 (43% winning %) before Brady. Dick Jauron's winning 43%. Additionally, Jeff Fisher has had 8 non-winning seasons out of 15. And Fisher, IMO, is the best head coach in football.

But we obviously know Jauron is the worst coach ever and would suck even if he had Tom Brady or Steve McNair. And the brilliant minds of Belichick & Fisher would have had the same exact success with the likes of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, and JP Losman. :oops:

Only the Bills would hire a coach the Lions didn't want.

2008 Falcons: new GM, new HC, new QB > throwing out what did not work, and trying something new = hope

2009 Bills: sticking with a proven failure of a HC > trying the same thing, and hoping for a different result = ?

Look man. We know we stand on completely different ends of the Jauron viewpoint. You think he is one of the worst coaches ever. I've never said Jauron was a great coach, but he is not nearly as bad as fans want to make him out to be. For the most part, I think coaching in the NFL is completely overrated and having a great QB can make coaches. Jauron's never had an average QB. BB had the same exact winning % as DJ does right now before Brady.

I've said that I think Trent Edwards is the best QB Jauron has ever had to open a season with (as sad as that may be). If Jauron & the Bills suck this season, I will offer up no more excuses and freely admit how terrible he was. However, if the Bills have a winning season, you will admit you were wrong. Deal?

Great thing about sports, you can find a stat to prove anything....you win! Who was talking about Josh Reed?

I guess I chose my words poorly. I should have said, Owens certainly didn't have a great season, by his own standards. By Josh Reed's standards, he had his best season ever! :rolleyes:

My point was just having a player of TO's caliber will make every other receiver better. Teams did not respect Reed as a #2 because he was not a threat to beat you deep. Our TE was a joke and if he didn't drop the ball, he fumbled it. Double Lee and bring a safety into the box. Now with TO (you I agree is in decline but still is better than 90% of the wrs in the league), teams are going to be very hesitant to do this now.

Only the Bills would hire a coach the Lions didn't want.

This is so wrong on many levels. Jauron was interim coach after Mauricci got fired. Interim coaches very rarely ever get the head coach job because why would ownership want to keep a coach who was part of a recently fired coaching staff.

But to indulge this silliness: only the Pats would hire a coach the Browns didn't want.